Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras Port

mickeychicky

I would love to hear any feedback on this port of call since I just booked a cruise that includes this stop.

*Favorite Excursion

*Must see places

*Did you feel safe (I ask this about every port)

*Is there a "downtown" for shopping or do you shop right there in port?

Can't wait to hear the feedback. I will also be asking about a few other ports of call....

Thanks!~

I would love to hear any feedback on this port of call since I just booked a cruise that includes this stop.

*Favorite Excursion

*Must see places

Can't wait to hear the feedback. I will also be asking about a few other ports of call....

Thanks!~

We have had a great time in Roatan over the years... from excellent scuba diving..., to great snorkelling with the Jolly Roger Catamaran and Snorkel excursion..., and visits to Tabayana (spelling) for a beach break. Little French Key is great to visit as well.I suggest using ships excursions in this port. Safe? If you are smart, you will be safe. There is shopping immediately in the port area, but outside the fence there is next to nothing, unless you hire a cab to take you on a tour.

*Favorite Excursion

*Must see places

Thanks!~

My best scuba experience ever was here. Dove through Anthony's Key and it was spectacular. If anyone is a diver DO NOT MISS DIVING HERE!!!!

6&8

We took an NCL tour of the island and enjoyed it. However, Roatan is indeed a very poor area and it does have a reputation as a high crime area. The area around the dock has a small protected shopping area. If you exit that, I personally would not walk more than a block beyond into the town. If I remember correctly, Carnival has their own docking and protected shopping facilities they built several miles away from the community port and docking area. After an NCL crew member was killed there last year, cruise ships stopped visiting briefly. They now have been assured that police presence and protection for guests have been improved.

Roatan is absolutely beautiful. It is definitely worth getting outside the cruise port area. I used victor bodden tours for a tour of the entire island, and while there are run down areas, you have to remember that Honduras is a third world country. I wanted to get some "truly authentic" food while I was there, and the driver took me to a little roadside stand in town where i dined for less than $2 American dollars...

Roatan is my favorite port....the people are friendly and the island is beautiful...we use Christopher tours and do the freestyle tour...just tell the driver what you are interested in and they will show you their island...they will wait for you if you want to spend some beach/snorkel time....we go to west bay to the bananarama. they have a bar and restaurant there and you can snorkel right off the beach on the second longest reef in the world...its awesome :D they also have a cameo factory were they make cameos out of sea shells....they are beautiful and not that expensive...I have gotten so many compliments on the one I bought there for only around $20

Edited by skyfire53

Highly recommend Maya Key excursion. Five minute boat ride from Coxen Hole dock. Great beach, wildlife sanctuary, snorkeling off end of pier on beach.

lunch included, swimming pool and bar.

The shuttle runs continuously during the day.

We always use Victor Bodden tours. Price is great and they take you where you want to go. We asked for a restaurant with great lobster and he took us to one overlooking the water, it was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took an NCL tour of the island and enjoyed it. However, Roatan is indeed a very poor area and it does have a reputation as a high crime area. The area around the dock has a small protected shopping area. If you exit that, I personally would not walk more than a block beyond into the town. If I remember correctly, Carnival has their own docking and protected shopping facilities they built several miles away from the community port and docking area. After an NCL crew member was killed there last year, cruise ships stopped visiting briefly. They now have been assured that police presence and protection for guests have been improved.

you are right about the high crime rate, but the rest of Hondores is worse. Not that it really makes a difference. Just thought I would point that out. It isn't anything like say, Panama. Both times we have been to Panama, once on Princess and once on HAL we were advised not to leave the ship area unless we were on a ships tour.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We have been on many cruises that stop in Roatan. It is a favorite of ours. At one time NCL was the only line that stopped there. Since then other lines have used it as a port stop. We have done tours with many companies and NCL themselves. I think, with the crime we are hearing about, I would choose an NCL tour, one that goes to the beach. The snorkeling is the best we have ever done. Victor Bodden would be my next. The only problem we had with them was one time when they took so long showing us their beautiful island by the time we got to the beach it was packed, the snorkeling was not as good, due to the crowds and we only had a short time to eat and snorkel. We learned from others, it is best to request they do the beach stop first.

As for shopping, there is shopping at the pier and all around the beach, as well as little roadside shopping areas. Dont leave without buying something made of mahogany. Lots of thing to purchase and the prices are very reasonable.

We love Roatan, too. Our favorite thing to do there is to go to Anthony Key Resort for a spa day. If you google Ixora Spa you'll see they have specials for cruise passengers. Travel there can be arranged for $15 RT per person. They pick you up right at the pier so it is 100 % safe. After the massages, you get free access to the lovely pool and bar area. The resort is just wonderful. We had planned to cruise Eastern Caribbean for a change this fall until we realized we'd miss our couples massage at AKR. it's that nice. :)

What is there to do other than water activities? Don't want snorkeling, diving or beach. Is there enough shopping around the port to keep us entertained for a while? Would love a good meal, especially lobster.

Thanks for any info.

Safe sailing

What is there to do other than water activities? Don't want snorkeling, diving or beach. Is there enough shopping around the port to keep us entertained for a while? Would love a good meal, especially lobster.

Thanks for any info.

Safe sailing

there is quite a bit of shopping, but if you do the freestyle tour, they can take you to lots of places to shop and eat...if you have never been there, I would highly recommend taking one of those tours...there is zip lining, horse riding, the monkey farm and iguana farm...and the sightseeing is great!!

Thanks for any info.

Safe sailing

Take a private tour then.....you can customize the day then.

My daughter and I used Victor Bodden as well, great vendor. If you like to snorkel, ask them to take you to the "Blue Channel". Some of the best snorkeling we've experienced.

And yes, stay within the shopping area if you shop at the port, beyond it can be dangerous. :)

We personally didn't like Roatan for shopping. We enjoy doing a lot of shopping and window shopping at all of the cruise stops. Not the ones the cruise lines advertise. We want local items that are unusual and from the area, not China. Roatan used to have shopping in a dirt flea market area. This has been improved greatly. If you want to walk into town, which we have done, it's about a mile walk. You will see how the locals live. It's too bad it is such a poor country. If you can take a tour, they don't stop in town, but take you to a new area of small shops. They will show you where the Germans fly into their area when on vacation. There are some fantastic private beaches and resorts, not accessible to the public.

We also went to Maya Key, really liked it.....Liked it so much, we booked it again for our cruise next month.

We walked around the pier a bit, had a couple of beers in the bar that is right off the ship (we would up having a beer with the ships illusionist there).

Did a little shopping, but never ventured out of the port area.

We felt safe. We used Victor Bodden's tours and had a tour of the island and then a few hours at the beach. I would use them again if I went there:

http://www.boddentours.com/highlights.htm

They are wonderful! Our driver took us everywhere and even purchased local vanilla from the store he shops in. The only reason we are not using them this trip is we want to go to Little French Key.

What is the best(longest) way to see and interact with the monkey's? Do we book the gumbalimba park tour, or do we visit Victor Bodden's monkey farm?

We did Victor Bodden's monkey farm and had a blast. We went into the cage with the monkeys and birds with plenty of time for taking pictures etc. One little monkey actually escaped out! We waited in the main cage with the monkeys while they rounded the little guy up. Since we went with one of his drivers it was a private tour at the farm.