Back to Back cruising

Calgirltraveler

This is our first time travelling on back to back cruises. We're in the same cabin on both cruises so no re-packing and changing cabins. What is the procedure for passengers remaining on the ship? We'd love to be able to just pull the pillow over our heads and go back to sleep but, doubt that is an option. Any advice and tips from the more experienced cruisers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You will likely be notified by a message to your cabin that you are to meet at a designated lounge at a specific time. All "in transit" people will be sent off the ship and will go through immigration. You may sit in the boarding area for a little while after that and then the group will be allowed to reboard. By all means DO follow the instructions, it is very important that the ship get cleared. If even one person is not with the "in transit" group the ship can not be cleared and the whole process comes to a halt.

It would help to know your port. Procedure is different in US ports than in an overseas port. You can sleep in, but be aware that there will not be room service, and breakfast venues will close about 8:30am. The buffet will not reopen until 11:30 or noon. If your ship has an International Cafe, I believe that will be open. Do let your cabin steward know that you are staying on and not to worry about making up your cabin until later. Princess does not require you to attend the muster drill the second leg. EM

how do you book back to back? is that considered one booking? pay twice the fee for one way?

It can be booked as two cruises or in some cases is also offered as one cruise.

Cost is based on what the individual cruises cost added together. In some cases, but not always, there is a lower price to book it as a single voyage.

If booked as a single cruise (one booking number) you will always have the same cabin for both segments.

If booked as two cruises (two booking numbers) you may or may not be able to get the same cabin for both segments.

This is our first time travelling on back to back cruises. We're in the same cabin on both cruises so no re-packing and changing cabins. What is the procedure for passengers remaining on the ship? We'd love to be able to just pull the pillow over our heads and go back to sleep but, doubt that is an option. Any advice and tips from the more experienced cruisers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

We have done B2Bs a few times. Twice in Ft Lauderdale and once in San Pedro. Usually we just get off when we want to instead of waiting for the in-transit group. We usually try to do something while in port, either an excursion (Everglades in Ft Lauderdale) or shopping or something (Tour the battleship Iowa in San Pedro). When we return to the ship, as long as the in-transit group has re-boarded and the regular boarding has started we have always been able to get back on right away as well. No waiting, just show your in-transit card that you are given the night before. If you prefer to pull the pillow or covers over your head, then that is fine too, as long as you are ready to disembark around 10 am or so with the other B2Bers.

BTW, take your passport for Customs and both your old cruise card and new cruise card (you get the new card the night before as well as the in-transit pass). Old card to get off, new card to get back on.

Have a great "double" cruise. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

BTW, take your passport for Customs and both your old cruise card and new cruise card (you get the new card the night before as well as the in-transit pass). Old card to get off, new card to get back on.

If you are not changing cabins, Princess now gives you a cruise card that is valid for both segments and thus you will not get a new card for the second segment.

If you are not changing cabins, Princess now gives you a cruise card that is valid for both segments and thus you will not get a new card for the second segment.

Depends. If, like we have done more than once, I booked one segment and my DW books the second segment, both under our respective Princess logins and even in the same cabin, then, we have gotten new cards. Also, if you are changing loyalty levels, ie: Blue to Gold, Gold to Ruby, Ruby to Platinum, etc., you get new cards. Sorry that I wasn't clear. Just trying to cover most of the possibilities. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Calgirltraveler, how do you book back to back? is that considered one booking? pay twice the fee for one way?

To book a b2b, just tell your TA or Princess. If you book as two cruises, the cost will be the sum of the two. If you book as one, sometimes it is the same as above, other times more or even less.

If the cruise can be booked as one long or two shorter, I calculate the cost both ways. Be sure to include any OBC you might get (FCC, Shareholder, Military, Loyalty, etc).

By the way, how a cruise can be booked does affect which cabins are being sold for a segment.

Assume three 7-day voyages A,B and C. And the booking possibilities are:

(a) Individual segments A, B and C

(b) A 14 day A and B

© A 14 day B & C

Looking at segment B,

- some cabins will be made available for just (a) bookings

- some cabins will be made available for just (b) bookings

- some cabins will be made available for just © bookings

So if you want to book just segment B, cabins reserved for selling for (b) and © will be marked "sold" when you look for what is available for segment B even if they are still empty (unsold).

By the way, how a cruise can be booked does affect which cabins are being sold for a segment.

Assume three 7-day voyages A,B and C. And the booking possibilities are:

(a) Individual segments A, B and C

(b) A 14 day A and B

© A 14 day B & C

Looking at segment B,

- some cabins will be made available for just (a) bookings

- some cabins will be made available for just (b) bookings

- some cabins will be made available for just © bookings

So if you want to book just segment B, cabins reserved for selling for (b) and © will be marked "sold" when you look for what is available for segment B even if they are still empty (unsold).

That will also change closer to sailing date, when they will see if they can move unsold cabins from b by selling them in c or a.

Will you need the Boarding Pass for the second leg on a B2B? If so, when will they collect it?

Not needed.

The one exception is if you are bringing on wine when you first embark and want to have 2 bottles each without the $15 corkage charge at boarding time, showing the second segment boarding pass to prove you can bring on the additional bottles with no charge at that time.

You guys are so cool. Thanks so much for all the great information and advice. We are cruising out of Houston and, as I recall, there's not much of interest in the area.

As far as the buffet goes, hubby will probably run up and grab a couple cups of coffee to bring back to our cabin.

This has been on my 'bucket list' since the first time, several years ago, when we were disembarking from a cruise. It was cold in the shadow of the terminal, the line was long, and moving slowly. We could see the ship as the line crawled and we lugged our carry-ons, all the time wishing I was still sitting in the cabin, in my jammies with my feet up, sipping a nice hot cup of java. It was then I spied a couple standing out on their balcony, sun shining down on them as they sipped coffee and, actually had the gall to wave. Maybe to some, that would have appeared to be a friendly gesture, but due to the circumstances at the time, it did not come off as that. It was in that instant that I made up my mind that one day I would be standing on the balcony, in the morning sun, sipping coffee, watching others disembark. Of course, that is, unless we're on the wrong side of the ship. Another thing, I won't wave unless you do first.

You guys are so cool. Thanks so much for all the great information and advice. We are cruising out of Houston and, as I recall, there's not much of interest in the area.

My question to those that know, regarding a B2B at a US port. I booked 2 separate cruises, in the same cabin. The reservations are linked, but it is definitely 2 - 7 day cruises - out of Houston.

May we bring 4 bottles of wine on board when coming on board for the first leg, and if so, do they take 2 bottles and store them until leg two?

Also, If I buy a bottle at a port on the first leg of the trip and turn it in when I come back on the ship, do they hold it until the second B2B has completed, or bring it to my cabin after the first? :D wish it was the second option.

Calgirltraveler

We are also cruising a B2B, out of Houston, in December. Are you going to be sailing before that date? If so, can you post a note on how the process went? I am traveling with my 83 year old mother.

My question to those that know, regarding a B2B at a US port. I booked 2 separate cruises, in the same cabin. The reservations are linked, but it is definitely 2 - 7 day cruises - out of Houston.

May we bring 4 bottles of wine on board when coming on board for the first leg, and if so, do they take 2 bottles and store them until leg two?

Also, If I buy a bottle at a port on the first leg of the trip and turn it in when I come back on the ship, do they hold it until the second B2B has completed, or bring it to my cabin after the first? :D wish it was the second option.........

I can only give you our experience with your wine questions. Bringing 4 bottles of wine on board on the 1st leg resulted in a $15.00 charge on two of them. That we had a B2B made no difference. On one of the other cruises we bought some wine (at a great price I might add) during the first leg. The ship kept it upon boarding after that port and returned it to our cabin the last night of the first leg. We just kept it and enjoyed it on the second leg. Enjoy your cruise(s). :cool:

I can only give you our experience with your wine questions. Bringing 4 bottles of wine on board on the 1st leg resulted in a $15.00 charge on two of them. That we had a B2B made no difference. On one of the other cruises we bought some wine (at a great price I might add) during the first leg. The ship kept it upon boarding after that port and returned it to our cabin the last night of the first leg. We just kept it and enjoyed it on the second leg. Enjoy your cruise(s). :cool:

FYI that charge should have been refunded on board. They are not supposed to charge you if you bring your allotment for both legs at the starting a B2B

FYI that charge should have been refunded on board. They are not supposed to charge you if you bring your allotment for both legs at the starting a B2B

Maybe so, however, our experience is that there is not always a consistency as far as "supposed tos" when it comes to some of Princess' policies. No matter, they have erred on some things in our favor at other times so we just figure no harm, no foul. Happy cruising wherever and however you do it.. :cool:

This has been on my 'bucket list' since the first time, several years ago, when we were disembarking from a cruise. It was cold in the shadow of the terminal, the line was long, and moving slowly. We could see the ship as the line crawled and we lugged our carry-ons, all the time wishing I was still sitting in the cabin, in my jammies with my feet up, sipping a nice hot cup of java. It was then I spied a couple standing out on their balcony, sun shining down on them as they sipped coffee and, actually had the gall to wave. Maybe to some, that would have appeared to be a friendly gesture, but due to the circumstances at the time, it did not come off as that. It was in that instant that I made up my mind that one day I would be standing on the balcony, in the morning sun, sipping coffee, watching others disembark. Of course, that is, unless we're on the wrong side of the ship. Another thing, I won't wave unless you do first.

Yup - once you try a B2B it is hard to go back to a single cruise. Nothing like watching other folks getting off and know you are staying. You still have to get off to zero the ship count in the US, but knowing that you are getting back on is just as good.

We are doing a 7 nt starting/ending in Vancouver (for Alaska) next May. We, also, booked the next cruise, same cabin, a 1 nt reposition from Vancouver to Seattle. How will it work for us...same procedure as has been posted or do we go through something else due to being in Canada vs. the U.S.? Thanks!

Also, If I buy a bottle at a port on the first leg of the trip and turn it in when I come back on the ship, do they hold it until the second B2B has completed, or bring it to my cabin after the first? :D wish it was the second option.

Calgirltraveler

We are also cruising a B2B, out of Houston, in December. Are you going to be sailing before that date? If so, can you post a note on how the process went? I am traveling with my 83 year old mother.

Flip Side, looks like we're on the same back to back cruises; so it's the blind leading the blind.

• 10 months later...

Hi all, new to cruising. Was meant to be doing Panama Canal later this month but unfortunately due to my mum being ill we have rescheduled to do B2B cruises around the carribean Dec (hopefully just as good)!

Just clarifying the alcohol policy...any update on whether you can bring an extra bottle of wine per adult for B2B cruise without charge? We are 3 adults traveling so wanted to bring 6 bottles to enjoy when we first embark at FLL and have as we please, can't find any details on the princess website about the extra alcohol allowance. I notice somebody said they got charged and just wondered about recent experiences or maybe an official policy from princess to prevent any issues when boarding! Thanks in advance!