gratuities on Princess

Kaz53

All comments very interesting. I was not aware of the policy of tips going into a pool if you opt out. We never have opted out but have reduced the amount toward the end of the cruise depending on how the cruise went. So what happens when you reduce the daily tip by say 5% because we didn't stop at a port or we where late to sail or just alot of little things went wrong etc.?

Mark

All comments very interesting. I was not aware of the policy of tips going into a pool if you opt out. We never have opted out but have reduced the amount toward the end of the cruise depending on how the cruise went. So what happens when you reduce the daily tip by say 5% because we didn't stop at a port or we where late to sail or just alot of little things went wrong etc.?

Mark

Now why would you reduce the tips that go to the service staff because the cruise ship missed a port? Your room steward or dining room waiter has absolutely no control over where the ship sails or when it sails. Your displeasure would more properly be stated in an after cruise survey or letter to the cruise line.

Just to back what other 'Brits' have said. We do tip, when someone has treated us well through their work, i.e. bar staff, taxi driver, hairdresser etc. What we don't do as a matter of course is feel the need to top up low wages for no or half hearted 'service'. Pay a living wage and tip for extra 'service' if you feel you wish to, it should not be assumed. Having said that I do keep my auto gratuity on as the service I generally receive is very good.

Would you please define a living wage and how it would be applied to a cruise ship.

Mark

So you reduce your tips because of the weather? I'm sorry but I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that you don't tip because the ship left late? They only valid reason to reduce tipping the staff that served you is because you had an issue with your service.

To the Brits: I don't think anyone has said it is wrong to just pay the suggested amount. Tipping on top of that is extra and should only be for someone you feel went above and beyond. As an example: one day we spilled a drink in our cabin. Our steward had to clean it up. He got extra.

I am going to add that about 15 years ago my DH and I spent a week in the UK. Almost every time we went out to dinner there was a service charge (I really don't remember the exact word since it was so long ago I just remember I was paying for the privilege of eating dinner there) on our bill. How exactly is that different then a tip? So you made me pay it over it being discretional because you called it a service charge? The pubs had a tip jar. We were told if we order it at the bar no tip but if they have to serve us it was customary to tip. Same thing I hear about Australia and the no tipping culture but when we were in Sydney almost every bill we got had a line for tips. So you think you're confused :eek: ! Look at Italy. Sure you don't have to tip or you can just round up but for heaven's sake don't sit at that table unless you want to pay more and don't eat the supposedly complimentary bread. Let's start calling a spade a spade.

Maybe they see Americans coming and quickly put up the tip jars. Maybe they run a different bill for us then you. I dunno. Is the next step, that my Canadian family says, is to blame the Americans for the world wanting tips?

I am not an economist nor do i work for the finance dept in a company so I cannot comment on how it would be applied to a certain company, however I can give you what the UK government classifies as a living wage. The 2015 living wage for the UK (excluding London) is £7.85 (at today's exchange rate approx $12.13) and for London £9.15 ($14.14) To pay the living wage is not compulsory in the UK but to pay the minimum wage is, currently £6.50 ($10.05) for over 18s. The ships are registered in Bermuda, which I believe doesn't have a legal minimum or living wage, but I am sure someone much more qualified than me could work out what that might be.

Or, maybe, just add the auto gratuity into the fare and admit that what we are doing by paying it is actually (in my opinion) topping up the wages of the employees. Passengers could tip extra if they wished and the so called 'cultural differences' would to some extent be levelled. You are never going to totally iron these differences out but at least the staff won't be penalised by those who do not have a tipping ethos.

Yes, we've all heard that both the UK and AUS pay a living wage. I can't tell you how many times we've all heard the same spiel. That has absolutely nothing to do with paying the gratuity charge on a ship or charging a service charge at a restaurant as I was in the UK. I can't remember ever going up to someone in the US, UK or AUS and saying, "so, how much do YOU make?" The fact is, it is a US based/culture ship so you tip. Just like on the AUS based/culture ship you don't. It isn't about what the crew are paid. P&O - UK based, no tipping. This isn't brain surgery.

Are you telling me that when you go out to eat where ever you are in the world that before you decide to leave a tip you ask how much they make?

Edited by notentirelynormal

I said that I don't understand double tipping. Just don't understand why auto tipping isn't enough - surely if you've left the auto tip in place then you have tipped already??? I also don't understand the culture of tipping BEFORE the service gas taken place - it's the assumption that you will get good service so pay in advance.

I also disagree with a service charge on a bill in the UK. It's just a hidden tip that is compulsory and is wrong!

I said that I don't understand double tipping. Just don't understand why auto tipping isn't enough - surely if you've left the auto tip in place then you have tipped already??? I also don't understand the culture of tipping BEFORE the service gas taken place - it's the assumption that you will get good service so pay in advance.

I also disagree with a service charge on a bill in the UK. It's just a hidden tip that is compulsory and is wrong!

Thats a bribe, we don't do that but some do. :rolleyes:

Service charges can be found on bills all over Europe.

I have a similar issue.

Here in Aus tips are included in the price (which also means they can't be removed) however small sections are tipping extra again, leading to an expectation that everyone will.

It seems to be a never ending story.

The fact that they are now 18% on some lines is just crazy.

One benefit of a tipping culture is that wages rise in line with inflation over time tipping has nearly doubled the rate if inflation.

I am new to Princess cruising, normally go with P&O & they have an option to opt out of gratuities & pay who you want it to go to. Can you do this on Princess?

Here is what is going on. Some people are providing you with correct information. Some people are providing you with what they think is correct information. Some people are providing you with what they thing the system should be. And some people are providing you with wrong information. It is up to you to figure out which is which.

Regarding the pooling of tips. I've been on over 25 cruises. I check all the pools on the last day and I have never seen any tips in any of the pools.

Enjoy your cruise.

Service charges can be found on bills all over Europe.

And sometimes in the US as well. Some restaurants have a service charge if you have 6 or more people in your group. Even had it a few times, at 2 different places, there was a service charge when we were juist with the 4 of us. I admit it is rare but it does happen.

Theo

I am not an economist nor do i work for the finance dept in a company so I cannot comment on how it would be applied to a certain company, however I can give you what the UK government classifies as a living wage. The 2015 living wage for the UK (excluding London) is £7.85 (at today's exchange rate approx $12.13) and for London £9.15 ($14.14) To pay the living wage is not compulsory in the UK but to pay the minimum wage is, currently £6.50 ($10.05) for over 18s. The ships are registered in Bermuda, which I believe doesn't have a legal minimum or living wage, but I am sure someone much more qualified than me could work out what that might be.

Or, maybe, just add the auto gratuity into the fare and admit that what we are doing by paying it is actually (in my opinion) topping up the wages of the employees. Passengers could tip extra if they wished and the so called 'cultural differences' would to some extent be levelled. You are never going to totally iron these differences out but at least the staff won't be penalised by those who do not have a tipping ethos.

The concept of a 'living wage' make no sense for a cruise ship. Typically, a 'living wage' is tied to the poverty level for a family of four. Now, what poverty level applies to a cruise ship? The crew hails from many counties. We've met crew members from the UK, France, Croatia, Indonesia, etc., and all would have different poverty levels. Now, should the cruise line calculate a different 'living wage' for each crew member according to their home country? Does that mean different crew members doing the same job should have different pay scales because they're from a different country?

If we were to pay the crew a 'living wage' calculated for Bermuda, you wouldn't be able to afford the cruise. But, I guess you'd find that an acceptable price to pay to avoid tipping.

It's not about 'avoid tipping'. It's about what is different cultures, how different people see things and double tipping. As I said previously , I have prepaid gratuities

The vast majority of people cruising do not double tip. They leave the auto tip on and are done with it. That is perfectly acceptable and no one will call you out on it.

I usually tip extra the 3 people that help me the most, the room steward, waiter and assistant waiter. Here is my rationale: I'll start with my cabin steward. I usually travel with kids and they make a mess. Or I travel with a large group and my cabin is the center, so it is a mess. There is much more work for Stewart to do once he enters my cabin. He cheerfully greets me and my kids each and every day and makes us all feel that he really is happy to see us. What a glorious day! I also travel with my mother and Stewart is sure to tell her how lovely she looks which makes her face light up like a candle.

For the other two. I have been cruising since my children were young and now their children very young. There has never been a dinner where the waiter and assistant have not fussed over the entire family. They especially fuss over the kids. Look how lovely the kids look - and you too. When they were really young there was food on the table when we arrived to keep them occupied while we ordered our meals. They bent over backyards to make sure everyone had a great time. Extra share platters, here try this or that. Laughs and happiness all around. Now my mother. She can be, umm, difficult, and maybe cranky and just sometimes will complain that her rose is too red and her napkin too white. They don't bat an eye.

I pay anywhere between $50 to $120 per person each day for excursions. Heck, just for a bus ride to and from the ship in Victoria will cost me $10! I consider these 3 people the equivalent of one day's excursion. They make my entire week enjoyable, I have new experiences and happiness. I walk away with a smile on my face. For the above reasons I have no trouble tipping extra. I consider the auto tip a staple and the extra my excursion.

Being a Brit we are not as accustomed to tipping as you guys in the USA and although I understand your tipping culture I do not understand thus 'double tipping' that seems to be common place. If you leave the auto tip in place , why are you tipping again ?

I feel that I would be scorned upon, or worse, if I even suggested that I would take off the auto tip by people on here even though I disagree with being told that I must tip people that I don't feel have given me particularly great service. If I just tip those I want to, it gets put in the pool anyway so that doesn't work either.

In my opinion the whole system is flawed. Disgraceful that passengers feel they have to tip to give ship crew a decent living wage.

For the record, I have already prepaid gratuities for our upcoming trip so I know that the people that do work / assist me will get something but I will not double tip at the end .

I also expect that there will be people that will disagree with what I have said, but all of us have different cultures and it's what makes the world go round .

I agree with your take on things being flawed. The tipping culture in the US was and is used as a means to reward good service and really nothing more.

It is usually a percentage based on the amount of your spend. Using this logic people on cruise ships should only being paying a percentage of what they spend. This is why the fixed amount seems to be something more then just a gratuity.

If you used the logic that Princess is using then every customer in a restaurant would pay the same gratuity whether they spent $50.00 of $500.00.......

I agree with your take on things being flawed. The tipping culture in the US was and is used as a means to reward good service and really nothing more.

It is usually a percentage based on the amount of your spend. Using this logic people on cruise ships should only being paying a percentage of what they spend. This is why the fixed amount seems to be something more then just a gratuity.

If you used the logic that Princess is using then every customer in a restaurant would pay the same gratuity whether they spent $50.00 of $500.00.......

I have thought the same thing about tipping on amount. The waitress at my morning breakfast place provides good of service for my $7 meal as the server does at the local steakhouse for a $20 meal at night. Why should the tip be any different.

As it has evolved in the USA, tipping is expected no matter how poor the service is (restaurants, taxis) or how minimal the service is (hotel porter moving your suitcase 25 feet).

It has also expanded to areas it had never been before such as shuttle drivers from a parking lot to the airport terminal.

Edited by caribill

As it has evolved in the USA, tipping is expected no matter how poor the service is (restaurants, taxis) or how minimal the service is (hotel porter moving your suitcase 25 feet).

It has also expanded to areas it had never been before such as shuttle drivers from a parking lot to the airport terminal.

You are so right. I saw a tip jar at a convenience store and all they do is collect my money.

I have thought the same thing about tipping on amount. The waitress at my morning breakfast place provides good of service for my $7 meal as the server does at the local steakhouse for a $20 meal at night. Why should the tip be any different.

So 15% to 20% seems to be the norm now so are saying you are going to give the breakfast server $1.40 and the steakhouse server $1.40 or the breakfast server $4.00 and the steakhouse server $4.00...:confused:

Except for the fact that all items in a Princess restaurant are priced the same so the gratuities should be the same regardless of what is ordered.

But people pay different prices for their cabins so the restaurant analogy was based on spend not as an all inclusive price.....I do not believe you cannot have it both ways when trying to justify the gratuity amount that Princess recommends.....if it is not based on spend then what is it based on?????

This is why I think many see it as a wage subsidy and not a true tip....:)