Is it me or has cruise prices gone thru the roof?

xcell

I have been quite loyal to royal but their prices as of late has caused me to look elsewhere, namely NCL.

I have been looking at prices and remembered a few years back on the Allure/oasis a D1 balcony for 4 could be had for $4 to 5k (low season) and now they are more like $6 to 8k.

I know prices change for a lot of reason but is this the new norm? Or am I missing the deals?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

$2200 for two on Harmony is an awesome deal - I'm planning to do that...watching the prices.

$8K for 7 days is way too much...

But I understand - supply and demand and it looks like cruising is getting more popular.

I always look to pay about $100pp per day for a balcony. We got Oasis for $801 CP balcony. A little more than I wanted to pay,but I've wanted to do Oasis for years now. $8k for any trip??? Crazy. Unless you're talking South Pacific. I've been to Europe for far less in nice hotels.

Edited by depplep
Mathmatics

. $8000 for a family of 4 for 7 nights in a balcony with beach ports and unlimited food is a fantastic deal.

ces.

Seriously??:rolleyes: :eek: Our family of three is sailing in a balcony for 7 nights on RCCL at high season (spring break) next year for 2,400.00..........

Seriously??:rolleyes: :eek: Our family of three is sailing in a balcony for 7 nights on RCCL at high season (spring break) next year for 2,400.00..........

Which ship?

I'm just check harmony for Dec 17 2016, 4 in a boardwalk balcony is $6k with my D discount. ..next week it's $8k

Yes....the prices are ridiculous. Being "top tier" shouldn't affect you, OP....one way or the other, the cruise lines, like ANY business, need more money...the taxes and fees and whatnot, require it.

It isn't a matter of them "need"ing more money. It is a matter of being a "for -profit" corporation that will price their product at the highest level that will allow them to fill their ships. Supply and demand still rule and their fiscal responsibility causes them to charge whatever the market will bear. As the economy continues to improve and potential passengers feel comfortable relieving their pent-up desire to cruise, all of the lines will increase their prices to the point where guests are willing to pay to cruise.

RCCL prices have definitely gone thru the roof the last couple of years. Guess they need to pay off all the new mega ships that are going out to sea half full.

Just my two cents.

The only problem with your analysis is that they aren't going out to sea half full. Check out their financial statements to see the actual figures and i think you will find that they continue to sail at, or better than, 100% capacity.:)

Try the older ships and you may be able to get a 7 day balcony for $599 or $699 per person before taxes and fees. Also try the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I saw $379 for an inside cabin 7 day on another cruise line fir early December. If you're flexible with your dates good deals can still be found.

We sailed last August (2014) on the Allure. We booked it more than a year out (for those interested). We had a D5 on deck 8 for $1126.- per person or $2252 for the 2 of us. That same cabin was running about $2,371 when that price was checked last December of 2014 for this past August 2015 sailing. So if we are doing this RC 'sale' (BOGOHO), then it would have been $2371 for the first person then $1185 for the 2nd person so for two on this same ship, same cabin for the exact same date 1 year apart, is now $3556 this year. That's a 63% hike in cost for just the cabin. Royal does not have sales, they just hike the prices up, then announce a sale to make consumers think they are getting a BOGOHO or a 30% reduction on their price.

To answer the OP's question; yes, I consider a 63% hike through the roof.

Edited by Esmerelda

Which ship?

I'm just check harmony for Dec 17 2016, 4 in a boardwalk balcony is $6k with my D discount. ..next week it's $8k

March on Adventure. Of course we booked the cruise well over a year ago. :) Last time I checked I think it was running around 3400. We don't have much interest in the Oasis class ships, so I guess that saves us some money right off the bat in most cases:D

Edited by bouhunter

I always look to pay about $100pp per day for a balcony. We got Oasis for $801 CP balcony. A little more than I wanted to pay,but I've wanted to do Oasis for years now. $8k for any trip??? Crazy. Unless you're talking South Pacific. I've been to Europe for far less in nice hotels.

Made me laugh - when you live in Australia the South Pacific cruises are usually the ones getting the best discount prices. On saying that though, I appreciate you need to get over to this side of the world and that is expensive :) If we see specials for under AUD$150 for a balcony that is pretty good over here, and that is on the older ships of the fleet.

From an other side of the world perspective, the cheap prices you get in USA are just something we can dream about, and then we have to add the airfares.

It is all relative to what you are used to. Land trips can be very expensive for accommodation, fuel and food, and when you add in the free entertainment on board as well, cruising is seriously good value.

This past Saturday, I purchased two (2) D5 cabins for Thanksgiving 2015 for a grand total of $2800 on Allure!!!! :D

The best part, the balcony door will be opened to make them "adjoining". So very thrilled!

Lady_G:cool:

Two balconies for 2800...so 1400 each or 700 pp. That's amazing.

Is this on USD? I'm talking about CDN (and our crappy exchange rate) which then is no longer thru the roof but out into outer space...

Same product from years ago some how they think it will be a great idea to charge more, I wonder why the oasis sailing for Niv 29th was less than 1000$ per 2 person. They are not filling the ships

Actually they are. Take a look at their annual report.

Two balconies for 2800...so 1400 each or 700 pp. That's amazing.

Is this on USD? I'm talking about CDN (and our crappy exchange rate) which then is no longer thru the roof but out into outer space...

Yes those prices were in US- On Saturday there were several Allure/Oasis November sailings that had balconies for under $700 and insides for under $500. There was a thread on it here on CC. Those prices were gone by the end of the day

$2200 for two on Harmony is an awesome deal - I'm planning to do that...watching the prices.

$8K for 7 days is way too much...

But I understand - supply and demand and it looks like cruising is getting more popular.

We booked a D2 for 2 on Harmony when it first came out for $2,021. It was an awesome deal. Since then it has gone up, up, up. :)

Comparing apples to apples. I booked the Harmony for December 10 2016 in June during the 30% off sale. I booked a D6 Superior ocean view w/balcony. Original cruise fare was $1379/person, $90.65/gratuities, $109.54/taxes. We received a Diamond $225 CAS balcony discount, 30% off EACH cruise fare. Total after discounts including gratuities and taxes is $2171.38

I know the price for my sailing has gone up significantly. Key is to book early!

Tom