What is your experience with upgrade offers?

Leejnd4

I have no problem giving out information (except smuggling liquor - we would never even think of doing that) and have given out many "secrets". However, IMO, upsells are few and far between and I prefer to keep that information to myself as much as possible. Many times there are only 1 or 2 staterooms/cabins available and there are enough people on CC to snap them up quickly.

Just to be clear...I wasn't asking for any kind of secrets or specific info about a particular up-sell. I was simply asking what others have experienced in terms of Oceania's history in offering upsells, so I could get an idea of what might happen, and how to be prepared. So I'm a little baffled as to this continued conversation about my somehow violating some sort of Cruise Critic etiquette rule by asking people to share their upsell knowledge. As far as I can tell, these are not secrets. ;)

And I learned exactly what I was hoping to learn. Which is:

1. It's possible, although probably unlikely, that we'll get an upsell to PH offer. (Which is fine, we're perfectly happy with the cabin we've got.)

2. If we do, we should jump on it immediately and in fact give our TA a number under which she is authorized to snatch it instantly (we did).

3. If we're going to get one, it could come as late as 2 weeks before sailing, so be prepared! (We are, and we're hopeful!)

Most of our cruises are on Regent, but when we sail on Oceania, we book the suite that we want. Having followed Oceania's website for a long time, we learned that the best suites (for us) are booked up quickly (i.e. Oceania suites and Vista suites). On Regent, we book PH (which is okay) but hope for a level or two up from there and have been able to get them over 50% of the time.

I booked the suite that we wanted as well...at least the one that was within the budget. And I'm actually quite thrilled with the one we got, due to the extended balcony. I do wish we didn't have any budgetary constraints, but this being the real world and all, we do. :o As it turns out, we do have a little more room in our budget to pounce on an upsell offer if we get one...just not enough to pay full pop for a PH. So we'll take it if it comes!

It has never even occurred to me to reveal "secret" info about upsells because I know that it's hard enough to get one if you respond quickly. It just always has seemed a waste of time to post such info. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen such information posted. Maybe someone says "I got one!" but that's about it.

Again, I continue to be baffled by this idea that I asked anyone to reveal any secrets. Honestly, I was just looking for general information, which I got, and I thank everyone because I now feel I'm appropriately prepared in the event I get lucky. :D

As to smuggling liquor on board, I confess to having done so on NCL ... I was too used to Oceania permitting us to bring our own on board. And I wouldn't think I'd need to on Regent given their policy.

I HAVE gotten good info about private guides ... and if I know of a good one that I have used, it wouldn't occur to me to keep it secret. It's up to the members here to try to contact one if they have a recommendation. What's the crime in that?

Mura

Me too -- to both! :) Meaning, I've been guilty of "smuggling liquor" (although it seems absurd to use that term) in the past...although it's been years since I've been on a cruise line in which bringing my own wine into my own cabin would be considered smuggling. The last time I had to "smuggle" was on a Celebrity cruise well over 10 years ago. I did so because we own a vineyard in Temecula that produces some pretty awesome red Zinfandel wine, and I like to drink my own wine on special occasions so I always bring several bottles on any vacation. I'll be bringing several with me on this cruise as well, and I was relieved to learn that it won't be considered a problem on O. I'm happy to pay any corkage fee, which is an understandable charge.

I have also shared information about fabulous private guides, and obtained info about them in here myself. That's been one of greatest benefits of my CC participation...info on the best private tour guides. Especially in the Med - we did a Regent Med cruise some years back and had the best private tour guide EVER, whom I learned about right here on CC. But I have also seen some people grouse over revealing those "secrets" as the best ones ultimately become super popular and then it's hard to book them. So it's a catch 22, isn't it? It seems unfair to glean info myself that I used to improve my own cruise experience, without giving back, y'know? :cool:

Edited by Leejnd4

Lee, just to be clear on my end -- I wasn't responding to your inquiry but to TravelCat's comment. The only "secret" here I know is forbidden to post about is travel agent info. There is plenty of advice to be found here that some might consider "secrets", but I sure don't.

It was quite clear to me that you were asking about people's experiences in getting upgrades or upsells, and nothing more.

Mura

Lee, just to be clear on my end -- I wasn't responding to your inquiry but to TravelCat's comment. The only "secret" here I know is forbidden to post about is travel agent info. There is plenty of advice to be found here that some might consider "secrets", but I sure don't.

It was quite clear to me that you were asking about people's experiences in getting upgrades or upsells, and nothing more.

Mura

Got it. :D

Now, how about sharing some booze smuggling techniques?! :p LOL!

My sister and her husband just got off a Carnival cruise. She likes to smuggle booze in a Rum Runner. Apparently those were quite the popular technique for years...but then everyone started talking about them on Cruise Critic, and the cruise lines got wind of it. She says both of her full Rum Runners got snagged upon boarding! :eek: She wasn't too pleased. I couldn't help it...I thought it was hilarious!

Got it. :D

Now, how about sharing some booze smuggling techniques?! :p LOL!

My sister and her husband just got off a Carnival cruise. She likes to smuggle booze in a Rum Runner. Apparently those were quite the popular technique for years...but then everyone started talking about them on Cruise Critic, and the cruise lines got wind of it. She says both of her full Rum Runners got snagged upon boarding! :eek: She wasn't too pleased. I couldn't help it...I thought it was hilarious!

I, too, used Rum Runners on an NCL cruise 5 years ago, but haven't felt a need to use them on Oceania. Well, I'll qualify that ... I did use them on an Oceania cruise for convenience when I was taking some wine and vodka on board with me and flying to the port.

It's not surprising that cruise lines figured it out!

I also have gotten some protective containers from Magellan for wine and alcohol, but those won't prevent your imports being found out! It's for safety and convenience in carrying bottles of liquids.

I wasn't trying to cause a problem - just responding to Leejnd4's comment, "This has been a common refrain for as long as I've been on CC - sshhhh don't talk about ABC or XYZ, or everyone will know!". I think that all of us are quite open and like sharing information. It is only this topic that I find a bit sensitive. Cruise Critic reportedly represents approximately 5% of passengers. So, in the case of the Riviera or Marina, that represents quite a few people - many of whom would love an upsell offer.

So, while I'm happy to share lots of tips with other Cruise Critic members (and have been doing so for almost 10 years), this is one area that I don't post much about.

IMO, having a good TA goes a long way in terms of responding to upsell offers. As mentioned in a previous post, many TA's are one person shops so when they are on vacation or even just taking a few hours off, the offer can sit in their computer for quite a while. My recommendation is to have a TA familiar with Oceania and one that is staffed every day during Oceania's business hours.

Hoping an upsell offer comes through for you :)

Edited by Travelcat2

Hoping an upsell offer comes through for you :)

Thanks! Me too! I just checked our cruise, and there are still quite a few PHs available...so you never know. It'll be great if it does, but we'll be fine if it doesn't. :)

BTW, I wanted to mention...we just got our cruise docs, and...nice job, O! I've been on so many cruise lines, and some of them do a good job with the docs, others not so much. O's docs are very nice, well organized, and I'm impressed. Looking forward to continuing to be impressed!

The comprehensive blue book you have just received serves as your "ticket" when you arrive at the port and the man in uniform asked for your ticket.

We tried various Documents we had received from the TA or O when we were trying to get past jobsworth at Istanbul port, but we eventually discovered the blue book was what they needed to see! (I can't remember where you are sailing from Lee but not speaking the local language made it difficult to produce the right piece of paper). J

The comprehensive blue book you have just received serves as your "ticket" when you arrive at the port and the man in uniform asked for your ticket.

We tried various Documents we had received from the TA or O when we were trying to get past jobsworth at Istanbul port, but we eventually discovered the blue book was what they needed to see! (I can't remember where you are sailing from Lee but not speaking the local language made it difficult to produce the right piece of paper). J

Interesting, I've never been asked to produce anything while boarding O other than a passport and sometimes a credit card. I've actually quit carrying the blue book with me, and just print out the 4 or so pages from my final documents with the guest ticket.

Interesting, I've never been asked to produce anything while boarding O other than a passport and sometimes a credit card. I've actually quit carrying the blue book with me, and just print out the 4 or so pages from my final documents with the guest ticket.

In Miami & Montreal we had to show the personal page from the blue book to the person letting you in the building once past them the check in people .. just passport & CC

Reading the post from Jay23 it was the person letting people in that wanted the blue book not the check in people

that was my interpretation ...I could be wrong

Just to be clear. The "Tickets" were requested by the Port Authority Officer at Istanbul Port entrance, NOT by the Oceania check-in desk. All you need for check-in is passport and credit card. NO... we had to produce proof to the Port Authority that we were passengers on the ship and should be allowed into the restricted port area. The final documents that we offered were not acceptable to the Officer. Not all ports are like this....... It just seemed to me well worth having the blue book available. J

Just to be clear. The "Tickets" were requested by the Port Authority Officer at Istanbul Port entrance, NOT by the Oceania check-in desk. All you need for check-in is passport and credit card. NO... we had to produce proof to the Port Authority that we were passengers on the ship and should be allowed into the restricted port area. The final documents that we offered were not acceptable to the Officer. Not all ports are like this....... It just seemed to me well worth having the blue book available. J

Thanks for clarifying

I guess the person was just told to look for the blue book ;)

Hmm, I'd still be in a world of hurt. When I've taken anything from the blue book I cut out the pertinent pages with a razor blade, which are pretty much exactly the same as the information that I print out from my e Docs, the Final Cruise Summary and the Guest Registration Page. Everything else in the book is just informational or fluff.

I guess we were lucky when we boarded at Istanbul that they didn't ask for "the blue book".

It's good information to know, I can still only remember about once in 25 or so cruises that we had to produce anything at a port or terminal entrance, and that was a few years ago at a Florida port. Everyone had to have tickets & passports/ID.

Sailing out of Miami, so the local language will not be an issue. :) But I will be sure to have my blue book with me! Great tip!

I would call and ask them. I have gotten them twice, one time I did not like the one offered so I asked "what else do you have?" They had many more of which I picked one.

Wow! So this is a new tidbit of info I hadn't thought about...if we're lucky enough to get an offer, I will be sure to check the location of the PH they offer us and, if I don't like it, ask if there is one available in a better location.

Right now it appears all of the available PHs are very close to the bow, which is not optimum...but we'll wait and see what happens. We're still very happy with our luck in nabbing 7009 with the big ol balcony, so it seems we're pretty much in a win-win sitch here. :D

Sailing out of Miami, so the local language will not be an issue. :) But I will be sure to have my blue book with me! Great tip!

So you speak Spanish :)

For Miami -- all we printed was the Cruise Ticket page of the blue book. We received ours as a pdf. That was good enough.

For Miami -- all we printed was the Cruise Ticket page of the blue book. We received ours as a pdf. That was good enough.

I agree

we do not take the blue book just the personal info page or the one that comes in the final email docs

no need to carry extra weight of the book ;)

Maybe it was a new person screening passengers entering the terminal

most ports they just want to make sure you are a passenger of that ship before allowing you into the terminal

So you speak Spanish :)

Well, living in Southern California, a decent grasp of Spanish does come in handy. :D

I just learned in another thread that the book I just got in the mail is the "Cruise Vacation Planner", and I'm going to get some other docs 3 weeks before sail date. Not sure what the difference is, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.