Cash for tipping

dxetaz09

I wanted to know for those previous cruisers, about how much in cash should I take for tips? I will be covering my tips as well as my 10 y/o sister. We have all paid the gratuity in advance, but I like to tip when I get good service especially at the bar area. I understand that each person is different I am just looking for about an estimate.

You really don't need much...if you wish to tip extra at the bars, there's a line on the tab for extra tips. I don't usually tip extra (18% is already added to the bar tabs!) for things like a beer....18% is ample for popping the top off the bottle! If we sit at a bar for a while, we'll usually add something to the last tab we sign...maybe $3 bucks or so....depending on what we've ordered.

Depending on the cruise line, you will want to tip $1-5 for room service, if you use it.

You've already paid the suggested tips...and you're good to go!

You'll want to bring cash for those little purchases ashore...things that don't really warrant a credit card....and for tips to cab drivers, porters.....

Cruise ships are pretty much cashless societies, and since you pre paid your tips, everyone will be taken care of for both of you, in terms of tipping for all the crew who serve you. Whenever you purchase a drink, or any beverage, a 18% gratuity is automatically added to your bill. In all reality, you really won't see people tipping in cash until the end of the cruise, and then it's usually to those who go beyond expectations.

FYI, you're not clear on this, but if it's just you and your sister cruising, you will need a notarized letter from both parents giving you permission to take her out of the country, and to make emergency decisions for her. If you don't have that, you can be denied boarding.

Always good to carry some extra cash not only for unexpected tips but for taxis and some other expenses off the ship or at the airport or before or after the cruise.

Most likely you will want some cash for tips to porters at hotels, or at cruise ship terminal ($1.00 to $2.00 per suitcase), tips for taxis and on board the ship tips for room service.

Have a great time.

Keith

In all reality, you really won't see people tipping in cash until the end of the cruise, and then it's usually to those who go beyond expectations.

I agree with this approach ... we prepay gratuities as well ... I will give an extra cash tip on the last night of the cruise to one (or two) crew members that consistently go beyond the normal level of service ... :)

I bring more cash than the average person since I use cash instead of a card on my onboard account. I also use cash in port since I don't like using cards there, either.

As far as cash for just tipping, I'll bring $10-15, and even that is probably too much. I tip the porters, and will tip my steward a little extra if their service goes above and beyond. The only thing I tip for at the bar is if I buy a mixed drink or am sitting there for a while, and that just comes out of my onboard account. Everything else will be covered by prepaid gratuities.

I also tip porters a few dollars a bag, we tip sometimes when getting a drink, a dollar or two, this helps with service and depending on service we tip room steward a extra 20 or more. Room service also and we tip 5 dollars or so at specialty restaurants ( we eat there a lot). We also bring lots of singles and fives with us, also helps with exact change at ports so you do not get foreign currency for change