"LIVE" from Norwegian Getaway - Oct 17, 2015

Radio

We are sailing on Escape next month but the same itinerary... do you have any excursions planned?

No excursions planned. . .Just car rental and some exploration on my own. . .

Radio

;);)

Hello everyone. . . I made it onboard AutoTrain, and we left a little early today at 3:45PM.

AutoTrain is the longest passenger train in the world, and I find it to be a very relaxing way to travel.

Yes, I know I know . . . It is much faster and cheaper to travel to Florida by air. AutoTrain however often travels full,

and there are many passengers who enjoy rail travel like me.

Today the Southbound AutoTrain has 16 passenger cars, 32 auto carriers and 2 engines.

There is also a lounge car and dining car for coach, and another lounge and dining car for first class passengers (with sleepers)

I will walk two cars forward for my dinner tonight. I always like the food on this train, a

nd I'm sure it will be very good. AutoTrain always plays a movie in the Lounge Car (next to the dining car)

They play the same movie twice after dinners at 7 and 9PM. There are always complimentary snacks served

during the movie, and drinks are served for passengers ($)

The journey will be non-stop except for a short crew change and fuel change in Florence, SC.

We are scheduled to arrive in Sanford, FL tomorrow at 8:30AM. It will take about 30 minutes to release

the cars and I will be on my way to Miami.

Well it’s just about time for some dinner, and a coffee or two . . . Here are a few pics. The connection on

board is a little rough, so I will add more as I get a good signal. . .

Radio

Amtrak’s AutoTrain is waiting for me . . .

A25.jpg

I have to check in with the attendant, and then walk into the terminal and check in

A24.jpg

Cars are being prepped to be driven onboard the Auto carriers

A26.jpg

Even motorcycles are transported down to Florida

A27.jpg

I didn’t have to wait very long at check in . . .

A23.jpg

It's almost time to board !

A7.jpg

Edited by Radio

Yayyyy. I'm ready, so excited. Thanks so much Mark for doing this again, you do such a great job. Wondering if you will do a further cruise in the future, would love to hear, see, you live from on the Panama Canal and points south.

Have a blast, we sure will.

dm

Here are a few more pics. . .

I may need some time to watch the news. Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

Hmm . . . I wonder where to go ?

A4.jpg

Amtrak AutoTrain fun facts. . .

A28.jpg

I found my car. . .

A32.jpg

AutoTrain pulls away from the Terminal slowly

A33.jpg

Sleeper Deckplan

ATA1.jpg

My route this evening

AT3.jpg

Edited by Radio

I am excited that I am finally going to manage to read a Radio review, well, LIVE! I usually only manage to find your reviews after you are back on shore and plannimg your next cruise. I'm sure that following your review as it is being written will be much more fun than reading after the fact! :D

I am looking forward to your review as we sail her again for the third time for New Years. I have been trying to find out information about Ocean Blue now that the restaurant has gone a la carte. If you don't mind - can you check out the new menu and either post a picture or summary of prices? Thanks and wishing you safe travels.

Glad I found this thread.

Rest up, and continue to take great pictures.

If you need to take a break just "watch the news:eek:" like you always do, and then get back to having a relaxing cruise.

um ......... we will really watch the news for you:D

Safe journey

Hello everyone. . . I made it onboard AutoTrain, and we left a little early today at 3:45PM.

AutoTrain is the longest passenger train in the world, and I find it to be a very relaxing way to travel.

Yes, I know I know . . . It is much faster and cheaper to travel to Florida by air. AutoTrain however often travels full,

and there are many passengers who enjoy rail travel like me.

Today the Southbound AutoTrain has 16 passenger cars, 32 auto carriers and 2 engines.

There is also a lounge car and dining car for coach, and another lounge and dining car for first class passengers (with sleepers)

I will walk two cars forward for my dinner tonight. I always like the food on this train, a

nd I'm sure it will be very good. AutoTrain always plays a movie in the Lounge Car (next to the dining car)

They play the same movie twice after dinners at 7 and 9PM. There are always complimentary snacks served

during the movie, and drinks are served for passengers ($)

The journey will be non-stop except for a short crew change and fuel change in Florence, SC.

We are scheduled to arrive in Sanford, FL tomorrow at 8:30AM. It will take about 30 minutes to release

the cars and I will be on my way to Miami.

Well it’s just about time for some dinner, and a coffee or two . . . Here are a few pics. The connection on

board is a little rough, so I will add more as I get a good signal. . .

Radio

Amtrak’s AutoTrain is waiting for me . . .

A25.jpg

I have to check in with the attendant, and then walk into the terminal and check in

A24.jpg

Cars are being prepped to be driven onboard the Auto carriers

A26.jpg

Even motorcycles are transported down to Florida

A27.jpg

I didn’t have to wait very long at check in . . .

A23.jpg

It's almost time to board !

A7.jpg

Ahh yes, It's time for the "snowbirds" to make the journey south. Enjoy your live reports. Safe travels and had a wonderful cruise

Hello everyone . . . I made it to the Hotel (finally). It took a while, but here is how things worked out.

AutoTrain arrived a little late this morning, and passengers were not allowed off until around 9:30AM. Ok, not so bad, right?

My car was not unloaded until close to 11, and I still had a 4 hour drive with =NO= traffic. The traffic was pretty miserable most of the way down the Florida Turnpike.

I drove to downtown Miami to pick up Mrs. Radio (who flew into FLL with some friends of ours this afternoon.) We then faced some very bad traffic back to western side of MIA (Doral area) I finally checked in to my pre cruise Hotel at about 5PM. I had a nice dinner at Boston Market, and now I am really ready for some news . . .

I really am going on a Cruise tomorrow morning . . . Yes, I will be sailing on the Beautiful Norwegian Getaway. That’s what this “LIVE” thread is about.

But now it might be time to make sure that I have everything and am ready to go.

Tomorrow is Cruise Day, thanks for tuning in

Radio

We have arrived. . .

A41.jpg

I was one of the last passengers off of the train.

A42.jpg

The cars had to be split up to allow passenger off

A36.jpg

The terminal was packed !

A35.jpg

New passengers were already checking in for the ride up north. . .

A38.jpg

Norwegian Getaway makes her way back to Miami. . .

A50.jpg

Edited by Radio

Thanks to donamae, I am sailing with Radio, once again!

I'm enjoying your Autotrain pics. We took it a few times when our girls were little--it was cheaper than flying those days to Disney, and we didn't have to rent a car. We live only about 25 miles away.

Looking forward to your posts and photos starting tomorrow! (Maybe we'll see Mrs. Radio this time--after all, you and Gambee have been revealed!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk