What happens if you don't do online check in?

LMaxwell

I have to believe not everyone has computer access or is computer savvy; what happens if you don't do online check in, just do it at the terminal?

Takes longer; not quite a big deal if you are the only one who didn't pre check in, but if there are a few hundred, the embarkation would experience delays.

Late checkins are also a higher security risk, and while some may get turned away for lack of proper credentials, some may slip through who shouldn't be allowed on board.

From goccl.com:

Online Check-In Procedure- WHEN?

Guests may check-in online, from the time their booking is deposited, up until 11:59pm EST, the day prior to the sail date. Every effort should be made for the guest to check-in online. Guests who complete their Online Check-In will go through a quick verification process once they arrive at the terminal.

Due to U.S. Department of Homeland Security regulations for cruises departing from U.S. ports, all cruise lines are required to submit a final departure manifest at least 60 minutes prior to departure.

As a result of this regulation, guests are required to provide us with check-in information prior to embarkation.

The easiest and most convenient way to provide this information is to complete the Online Check-in process at http://www.carnival.com/bookedguest.

Failure to provide this information by 11:59pm EST the day prior to the sail date may result in delays at embarkation.

All guests are required to check-in at embarkation at least 60 minutes prior to the published sailing time.

Which might affect you and everyone else on your sailing. :(

gary

Late checkins are also a higher security risk, and while some may get turned away for lack of proper credentials, some may slip through who shouldn't be allowed on board.

could you explain this more, I don't quite understand?

OP: You are correct not everyone walks around with their noses buried in a phone looking down or conducts all life activities from a computer. My elderly aunt (70's) does check in when she gets to port the morning of cruise, not a big deal and not much more time for her. It truly is not a big deal ;).

We do the family member's online check in for them. You can easily add their booking numbers to your Manager. We get their info, even birth certificates, together and complete the process. You can then print it all out and get them to fill out the health questionnaire. Attach luggage tags. There were 5 bookings for our last trip, and we did them all. :)

(Galveston) If I am correct, the new rules state that every one must have their boarding pass, therefore every one would need access to a computer.

Can you elaborate or post a link that we can read to support this?

Edited by thinfool

Perhaps changes are coming in regards to boarding. The last two cruises we completed check ins for came up with only the option for individual boarding passes. This has been in the last two months. Our upcoming passes are also all individuals.

Can you elaborate or post a link that we can read to support this?

In the letter I received informing me of the new procedures, it states the all guests must have a paper or electronic boarding pass to access the terminal. While you can access (or download) your boarding pass at any time, they will send you a boarding pass by email on the morning of the departure.

Edited by kbanowsky

I think this is going to create problems for many people. Not everyone uses email or is computer savvy to do this and is probably just used to showing up and doing everything at the terminal.

I hope carnival has considered this.

I, for one, can not complete online check in without storing my credit card on file with Carnival. I don't recall doing that with other cruise lines, just giving a card at the terminal. I don't particularly want to input my credit card information on their check in site.

I think this is going to create problems for many people. Not everyone uses email or is computer savvy to do this and is probably just used to showing up and doing everything at the terminal.

I, for one, can not complete online check in without storing my credit card on file with Carnival. I don't recall doing that with other cruise lines, just giving a card at the terminal. I don't particularly want to input my credit card information on their check in site.

There is no way I will believe they will turn you away at the terminal for not having a paper or electronic boarding pass :rolleyes: Every other cruise line states online check in is recommended, NOT mandatory. As you already know, if you show up at a RC terminal and you dont have a SetSail pass, they just check the manifest and let you right on in.

Carnival is really setting themselves up for trouble if people pay for a cruise and are not allowed to take said cruise because they didnt have a boarding pass.

Nope, sorry, I just dont believe that at all.

Edited by ryano

Just set up the account as cash (I think you know that already).

With the new boarding rule in Galveston ,you will be required to have them . It will also have your boarding TIME on the paper work , They are doing staggered boarding in Galveston starting in mid November

This will last about 1/2 of one cruise. It is a lawsuit in the making, not against CCL, but against the Port of Galveston.

IF this is actually implemented CCL and any other line cruising out of Galveston wil be snail mailing boarding passes to every cruiser.

Just set up the account as cash (I think you know that already).

I don't mind setting it up as credit card at the terminal, but I don't want to input the credit card on the website. Is there an option on the website to select for cash just so I can complete the online check in?

We have a very good TA who used to ask if we wanted HER to do the online check in for us then mail us the boarding passes and luggage tags.

(she knows we like to do it now that we know her better:) )

She has on record our passport numbers and other general information as well as our credit card numbers for making final payment - she can do it all quite eassily

Is there an option on the website to select for cash just so I can complete the online check in?

Yes. It's extremely easy when doing the online check-in process.

See/scroll down to (online check-in steps 1 thru 4) look at step 2, onboard expenses @:

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/sections/funpass.ashx

:cool:

Edited by ObstructedView2

This will last about 1/2 of one cruise. It is a lawsuit in the making, not against CCL, but against the Port of Galveston.

IF this is actually implemented CCL and any other line cruising out of Galveston wil be snail mailing boarding passes to every cruiser.

So very true.

The young 'beards' at Carnival seem to think that everyone has access and knows how to use a computer. Naive, at best, but mostly ignorant.

What will Carnival do when a couple of little ladies show up who have no computer and no preprinted pass? Deny them access to check-in and the ship? Obviously they didn't get the email...no computer. How could they comply? This would not play well on the evening news or social media.

Side point: Didn't I read that you cannot print a Funpass after 11:59pm the night before you board? That would eliminate jumping onto a hotel or library computer before you leave for the ship.

Edited by thinfool

I don't mind setting it up as credit card at the terminal, but I don't want to input the credit card on the website. Is there an option on the website to select for cash just so I can complete the online check in?

All of the "online check in" is secure and it uses 512 bit encryption. Notice the "https: carnival" . Carnival corporation would not want to compromise your Credit Card data either.