Bookings

JSCW6

I recently called Azamara and discovered that my Journey cruise on next August is only about 25% booked. Is this unusual or normal for 10 months in advance? I am concerned only because this ship has had its itinerary changed twice since we originally booked. Will they cancel if they don't have enough cabins booked? Will they change the itinerary again to encourage bookings? I am nervous about booking our flights. Thanks for your info in advance.

Is this either the August 19th or the August 29th sailing? They both go through Istanbul. Could that be why? Azamara will likely offer it in Europe on a 'special basis' at some point (less resistance to that destination in Europe). Only guessing, of course.

No, August 2nd which leaves from Venice. I really want to know if it is unusual for a ship to be only 25% booked 10 months before the cruise?

Hi JSCW6, each destination has a different booking curve. That's jargon for the historical pattern of advance bookings. And to complicate things a bit, each destination books differently by category, and differently in the various markets of origin. The Revenue Management teams knows what is "normal" and thus watches each individual sailing by how sales are developing: what categories, what market of origin, which specials are working, etc. It's a lovely strategic puzzle (n.b. I was one of the industry's original RM managers.)

You may rest assured the 2016 Med cruises are expected to be very near full by the time they sail.

p.s. we will never cancel a voyage due to low occupancy! The ship sails regardless…the only things that causes a change in itinerary are weather & safety.

The original 2016 catalogs are still floating around [e.g. on my computer] showing this cruise leaving from Istanbul. That would kill some interest right there, unless you happen to check the website and see the new itinerary. And even then, if you wanted Greek islands this new itinerary isn't that. So it will take a while to find its Adriatic audience.