Cozumel to Cancun - Day Trip??

buddylover

Been to Coz many times and we are interested in seeing Cancun.

Has anyone taken an independent day trip from Cozumel to Cancun??? What is the best way and how did you get there and back??

We plan on taking the ferry from Coz to Playa.....question is, what is the best way to get to Cancun (safe?) and timely from Playa del Carmen??

Thank you for any and all input. ;)

Taxi - r/t for about $100+:eek:

Cancun is a great place to vacation - lots of nice hotels and all-inclusive resorts but IMHO not worth the trip from Coz. PDC is fun and the beaches on Coz are better than what you can access without a hotel pass in Cancun. I would rethink your plan.

Taxi - r/t for about $100+:eek:

Cancun is a great place to vacation - lots of nice hotels and all-inclusive resorts but IMHO not worth the trip from Coz. PDC is fun and the beaches on Coz are better than what you can access without a hotel pass in Cancun. I would rethink your plan.

I agree. I love the beaches and restaurants in the Zona Hotelera in Cancun but wouldn't spend the time or energy to leave Cozumel to go for a day trip.

We enjoyed hiring a guide and driver to go to Tulum, then had lunch at a great restaurant on the water and stopped at a denote to go swimming on the way back. It was a fun trip!

While I'm not a fan of Cancun (heck, I don't even go there when I'm spending 10 days in Riv Maya), to go from Playa del Carmen to Cancun and back you can take the bus or a taxi. You could also take the Colectivo which are public transportation vans that constantly run between PDC and CUN, and then others that run the highway between PDC and TULUM. It only costs about $3-4 US to ride, but you don't have any idea of how many stops you'll make along the way.....and it's mostly locals.

Can I ask what interests you in Cancun? It's pretty much a long strip of high rise hotels. There are some fun restaurants and bars, but they don't really get going until the evening hours. There are also shopping malls.

While I'm not a fan of Cancun (heck, I don't even go there when I'm spending 10 days in Riv Maya), to go from Playa del Carmen to Cancun and back you can take the bus or a taxi. You could also take the Colectivo which are public transportation vans that constantly run between PDC and CUN, and then others that run the highway between PDC and TULUM. It only costs about $3-4 US to ride, but you don't have any idea of how many stops you'll make along the way.....and it's mostly locals.

Can I ask what interests you in Cancun? It's pretty much a long strip of high rise hotels. There are some fun restaurants and bars, but they don't really get going until the evening hours. There are also shopping malls.

Thanks for the info....never been to Cancun, been to Coz 6 times, just looking for something different to do and see.....that's why I am asking for input from those who have been there. Thanks...... :)

If you really want to go, you would need a nice, long port day. It's about an hour from Playa to Cancun. So if you factor in about an hour for the Ferry (getting off the ship, to the ferry and the ride over) grabbing a cab to Cancun for the hour or so ride, that's going to be about 4 hrs out of your port time in transportation. If you have a 10 hr port day, then go for it. If you have a 6 hr port day, not worth it I wouldn't think.

The one nice thing about Cancun is that they have a very inexpensive bus system that will take you up and down the hotel zone for a couple of bucks (if that). Just hop on and off where you want to and see what you like.

If you really want to go, you would need a nice, long port day. It's about an hour from Playa to Cancun. So if you factor in about an hour for the Ferry (getting off the ship, to the ferry and the ride over) grabbing a cab to Cancun for the hour or so ride, that's going to be about 4 hrs out of your port time in transportation. If you have a 10 hr port day, then go for it. If you have a 6 hr port day, not worth it I wouldn't think.

The one nice thing about Cancun is that they have a very inexpensive bus system that will take you up and down the hotel zone for a couple of bucks (if that). Just hop on and off where you want to and see what you like.

Thanks for the input....we do have a long port time, and I am aware of the time element on the ferry and the distance from Playa.....my main question was about "how" to get there from Playa? Can always take cabs , we know that, but they are quite expensive. Was really wanting to know more about "public transportation" from Playa to Cancun, which is best? Cost? Schedules? etc.

Thanks for the input....we do have a long port time, and I am aware of the time element on the ferry and the distance from Playa.....my main question was about "how" to get there from Playa? Can always take cabs , we know that, but they are quite expensive. Was really wanting to know more about "public transportation" from Playa to Cancun, which is best? Cost? Schedules? etc.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150812-s303/Playa-Del-Carmen:Mexico:Public.Transportation.html

You could also take the Colectivo which are public transportation vans that constantly run between PDC and CUN, and then others that run the highway between PDC and TULUM. It only costs about $3-4 US to ride, but you don't have any idea of how many stops you'll make along the way.....and it's mostly locals. The ADO bus runs from downtown Playa to Cancun as well. They are larger coach type busses, but you'd have to go by their schedule, where ithe Colectivos run non-stop.

Buddylover,

Understand that you want to see something different than Cozumel, but I'm not so sure Cancun is your answer. I don't know the day access from resorts to their beaches, but I don't think there's anything particularly that different in the town than what you'd find in Playa or even downtown San Miguel on Coz.

If beaches interest you just south of Playa and easily accessible by taxi or collectivos is LaPlayaTortugas/ Akumal. I kknow you can snorkel there and either swim out to the area where the turtles are or hire a small boat to take you. The hotel will rent you a lounger for a nominal fee. You can also go to the lagoon near by and see lots of varieties of fish.

And if it interests you and you do have the time there are independent tour operators out of Playa who have cenote (underground cave) tours. These are very fascinating and general not easily accessible to cruisers to Cozumel given the distance and time. But might fit for your schedule. There should be plenty of information on TA or via Google or DuckDuckGo

Up from the ferry, and across the street from the Church at the beginning of 5th Ave. is the bus depot where you can get a bus to Cancun. Google for prices and schedules.

I would just stay at the PDC beaches on either side of the ferry, but that's me.