Dress for formal night (Thanksgiving week)

Lmarie6

Hello,

I'll be cruising for the first time from Baltimore to the Bahamas with stops in Orlando and Key West on Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas during Thanksgiving week this year. I'm really stressing out about formal nights and not sure what I should or should not wear. I have a long black velvet dress with straps, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate since it's like summertime in the Bahamas year-round. What do you think? One of our formal nights will be at sea anyway, right?

I also have these two, the green one was a bridesmaid dress for my aunt's wedding - would it be appropriate? What about the blue one, is it too casual?

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

green2.jpg.b2258cb00b2428c6e24a7ae55d62c0d0.jpg

blue1.jpg.98d397319ad8feb2bb64afe29d46ed99.jpg

Bahamas aren't in the Caribbean, so it could be a bit cooler there, than if you went further south.....

If the velvet dress is just straps, you'd be fine in it. Of the 2 pictured above, the green one is more "formal" looking than the print.

Edited by cb at sea

Thank you both for your input. The thing I really like about the velvet is that it won't wrinkle, the others definitely will. Any idea how much ironing or steaming costs on Royal Caribbean? I feel like with shoulders not covered I'm going to freeze at dinner regardless of fabric. I'm always cold in restaurants.

So on casual nights, are we to also dress up, just not as fancy? I really have no clue... I feel like it's supposed to be my vacation and don't want to be bothered with all this dressing up every night. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get a feel for the ship...

Taking a look at your itinerary...assuming that the Nov 21 sailing is yours, which is 7 nights...then it is likely that the first Sea Day (Day 2) will be a formal night. I would think that day/evening would have the potential to be rather cool. I would think that velvet would be just fine.

I would guess that Day 6 would be the other formal night, which would likely be warmer, but still questionable out there in the Atlantic ocean.

I would be prepared for it to be cooler in the MDR. They do keep the temperature more appropriate for someone working (the crew) than for someone sitting. I also get cool sitting there waiting and might warm up a bit when we start eating. I am usually happy to have a wrap or something to help during dinner or in the theater if I am wearing a sleeveless type dress.

Formal night dress will vary. Some people will be all decked out and others will just look nicer than normal. You could choose to wear the same dress twice, honestly. Many do...especially a black dress and just wear different accessories.

I've never cruised during a Holiday before...so I don't know if people will feel more or less inclined to dress up. Casual night dress varies from the look that says "going out" to what you might wear to eat dinner at a franchise sit down restaurant (Chili's, Applebees, On the Border, Carrabas, Olive Garden, etc.). Usually, for women, shorts are what you want to avoid...so wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing.

Depending on what you do during the day...it may feel nice to put on something fresh for dinner, but getting ready for dinner doesn't have to be a production every night.

Point being...don't be stressed about your wardrobe. Planning is good...but don't stress.

I think either blue or green dress would be most acceptable. Formal night is not a super dressy affair(any more) and you will se a variety of outfits ranging from long really formal gowns to pants and maybe a blouse with a couple of ruffles or sparkles. To press/steam only , a dress would probably cost about $6-$7. I am making an educated guess on this price, but I am sure I am within a dollar or two. Anybody out there have a price list for the OP? :)

I think both dresses work just fine. Ordinarily, the first formal night is the dressiest of the two, and the green would look gorgeous, at least on cruises I have taken. If the bag you are carrying in the print dress picture coordinates well with the dress, I'd carry a matching scarf/wrap and coordinating sparkly jewelry. I'm a less-is-more kinda gal, so I'd take one pair of metallic strappy heels to use for both dresses if I had them. If you wrap each dress in dry cleaner bags before you pack them, there should be minimal wrinkles.

A little sparkle and an effervescent attitude goes a long way toward a dressy outfit. This is only my opinion, of course, but cruises seem more dressy than formal these days. In my mind, there is a difference. I like feeling dressy. Formal? Not so much. You will always manage to find someone on board dressed more formally than you. You will always manage to find someone on board dressed less formally than you. As others have said, don't stress. Enjoy your first cruise.

Go with the velvet dress if it's what you would really like to wear. Otherwise, I agree with the other posters that the green dress would be perfect for the first formal night and the blue for the second one.

Stop stressing and here's hoping you have a great cruise!:D

Thank you both for your input. The thing I really like about the velvet is that it won't wrinkle, the others definitely will. Any idea how much ironing or steaming costs on Royal Caribbean? I feel like with shoulders not covered I'm going to freeze at dinner regardless of fabric. I'm always cold in restaurants.

So on casual nights, are we to also dress up, just not as fancy? I really have no clue... I feel like it's supposed to be my vacation and don't want to be bothered with all this dressing up every night. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get a feel for the ship...

This is your first cruise. Enjoy the formal nights. There is nothing like your first cruise. I love both of your dresses. If your first formal night is on day two, I think the velvet would be just fine. Once you reach Port C (Orlando) it will be warmer. Have a great cruise and let us know how you enjoyed it.

This is the 8-night RC out of Baltimore. If I can assume the 1st formal night is night 2, I'm going with the long black velvet dress. It is just straps, and it fits my figure much better than the green dress. I feel like with the green one I'll be worried about "popping out" all night and not be able to enjoy myself. I love the idea of getting a shawl of some sort. What color would be best?

• 4 weeks later...

Cruises are much more fun if you participate. This means dressing up on the formal nights. Have fun with it. As adults, we rarely get a chance to be glamourous. I would bring the velvet dress (and a shawl if you think you'll be cold). If you price-conscious, go to a thrift store and get something fancy there. I've found gorgeous shawls and cover ups for $4-$8 at my local thrift shop. Do hair and make up too, why not? Yes, you're on vacation, but part of the fun is doing things you don't normally get to do.