Solstice today.

Tarakihi or Snapper ....mouth watering and available at the best fish and chip shops , otherwise Hoki or Lemon Fish...(Shark):D

I miss Tarakihi! I can get good snapper here in Sydney although I prefer Flathead for fish and chips. Not a fan of hoki but I used to enjoy a good feed of shark in my NZ days.

Whilst the ship is big and with 2800 passengers on board it doesn't feel that big. Perhaps one would expect 2800 people to be falling over themselves but remarkably they aren't. Where the size and incompetence of the Solstice comes to the fore is Tendering. There tendering process is diabolical. Having done a B2B around NZ and Australia earlier this year where there were a number of tender ports the best the tendering process could be called was a shambles. Not only were there not enough tenders to get people ashore when the weather chops up it is difficult to get them back on board.

We tendered on our recent Vancouver to Hawaii solstice cruise, and while there were delays, the process was very smooth and organised. Kona was slow, but it was very rough and they were taking there time (as they should be) there were many passengers having difficulty getting on and off. However when we tendered in Maui it was very quick, off the boat and on land within 30 minutes of being called.

I think it was much easier and more organised than tendering on the smaller P&O boats.

I miss Tarakihi! I can get good snapper here in Sydney although I prefer Flathead for fish and chips. Not a fan of hoki but I used to enjoy a good feed of shark in my NZ days.

That may make the papers - '"MAN EATING SHARK'' or woman, whatever the case may be.:p

Whilst the ship is big and with 2800 passengers on board it doesn't feel that big. Perhaps one would expect 2800 people to be falling over themselves but remarkably they aren't. Where the size and incompetence of the Solstice comes to the fore is Tendering. There tendering process is diabolical. Having done a B2B around NZ and Australia earlier this year where there were a number of tender ports the best the tendering process could be called was a shambles. Not only were there not enough tenders to get people ashore when the weather chops up it is difficult to get them back on board.

I think it really depends on the crew (and their training).

I have not had issues with the tendering process on the Solstice when on her back in 2013 (38 days at sea and 10 tender ports).:D

Nah! Shark aka lemon fish aka flake (in Australia), is a common fish for fish and chips.

And woman is correct ;)

Heeee heee heee

I was just threatening wifey that if she wasn't careful I'd tie a rope to her leg, dangle her over the side and it'd be shark on the menu tonight.

Edited by GUT2407

Not that old Mic we were on that cruise and it was Feb/March last year

I thought it was filmed in 2012 as they said it was it's first season in Aussie waters.:p

Seems it was filmed on the 15 February 2013 sailing which was her first season here, she arrived in November 2012 and left in April 2013.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Luckily on both the tender ports on our upcomiong cruise, Bay of Islands and Akaroa, we don't need to do any major sightseeing as we've been there before. We're just planning on puttering around and finding some good Kiwi fish and chips (dare I hope for Tarakihi?) for lunch. :D

Don't hold your breath looking for good fish and chips in Paihia because there aren't any. The best fish and chips in the Far North are at Monganui. World famous for fish and chips in New ZEaland

Seems it was filmed on the 15 February 2013 sailing which was her first season here, she arrived in November 2012 and left in April 2013.:D

Not sure why you are doubting me Mic? but as I said we were on that cruise and It sailed from Freemantle on the 21 Feb 2014 and It was definitely that cruise , we saw the film crew and we made an appearance on the TV on two occasions so think I know what iam talking about

If you still think I am wrong have a look at the date on this newspaper article if it was 2013 as you say it took over 12 months to get to Newscastle

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2137370/crowds-welcome-luxury-liner-celebrity-solstice-photos/

Edited by chester32

Don't hold your breath looking for good fish and chips in Paihia because there aren't any. The best fish and chips in the Far North are at Monganui. World famous for fish and chips in New ZEaland

Theres a great fish and chip shop at Keri Keri....:):)

but you have got to get there. I have always wondered why they dont run a shuttle over from the Waitangi landing area.

Now theres an opening for a HOHO bus...Waitangi, Paihia,Mission House, Keri Keri back to Waitangi.:)

That's a shame. There used to be a good one some years ago.

Never mind, I'm sure we'll find somewhere nice for lunch that day.

Not sure why you are doubting me Mic? but as I said we were on that cruise and It sailed from Freemantle on the 21 Feb 2014 and It was definitely that cruise , we saw the film crew and we made an appearance on the TV on two occasions so think I know what iam talking about

If you still think I am wrong have a look at the date on this newspaper article if it was 2013 as you say it took over 12 months to get to Newscastle

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2137370/crowds-welcome-luxury-liner-celebrity-solstice-photos/

Not doubting you but just went off what was said on the show about being the first season in Australia. They obviously got that wrong. Sorry for the confusion I may have caused.:o