Cruise Crowd

g8rfan17

I am fairly new to cruising and am trying to figure out the different vibes on different cruise lines. I know that it can be heavily dependent on the length and destination of the trip as well, but any insight is helpful.

My friends and I are doing a 7 night caribbean cruise on the Allure on Dec 13 and we're curious as to what kind of crowd we might expect. We're all between 24 and 26, mostly single, active and energetic group.

Kids in Florida are still in school for another week before winter break. Some colleges in the state will be out...that's a mixed bag. On Carnival it was really diverse. There were just as many young single people as there were families with kids. Can we expect the same?

I am fairly new to cruising and am trying to figure out the different vibes on different cruise lines. I know that it can be heavily dependent on the length and destination of the trip as well, but any insight is helpful.

My friends and I are doing a 7 night caribbean cruise on the Allure on Dec 13 and we're curious as to what kind of crowd we might expect. We're all between 24 and 26, mostly single, active and energetic group.

Kids in Florida are still in school for another week before winter break. Some colleges in the state will be out...that's a mixed bag. On Carnival it was really diverse. There were just as many young single people as there were families with kids. Can we expect the same?

Really hard to tell. I would check out the rollcall to see what that demographic is to give you some idea. Here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2185574

You will be at the lower end of the age scale....on pretty much any ship. Carnival is likely the best fit for you, as they cost less, so there will be more younger, less "affluent" cruisers....no judgment, but younger generally means more frugal! Shorter cruises will have many more "partiers" than a 7 nighter, but you will have plenty of fun to choose from!

Really hard to tell. I would check out the rollcall to see what that demographic is to give you some idea. Here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2185574

Thanks! I'd peeked at it but it was a small group of people who responded. Mostly families and older couples.

I hope people don't think we're the obnoxious bunch lol

I'm not at all in your age-group, but I can still remember. ;)

I think Allure is a great first cruise experience for 20-somethings. You will find all types of age-groups and it is a very international ship. So, while it will not feel like "Spring Break" you will still be able to have a great time and not feel at all out of place as younger cruisers. I felt that Allure had more of a resort feel, rather than a cruise-feel since every one is pretty much doing their own thing. Lots of groups of cruisers, extended family, friends, etc. Not exclusively a "couples cruise."

RCI has a very active vibe to its ships with the sports deck, rock-wall, flowrider, ect. to keep everyone occupied. And it has lots of bars, clubs and lounges. I've never been in the dance club but I would guess your age-group could have some fun in there and liven the place up. Assuming your group drinks alcohol, you might want to get a drink package if you think you will have 5 or more/day. There is a comedy club, but make sure to make reservations in advance. I think you might find some of their shows (traditional cruise-like, dance number ones) kind of cheesy, but who knows?

I think you should all have a blast. Enjoy!

Koohiichan

Yeah, I don't quite know what cb at sea is on about but I've seen plenty of people in their mid 20s on Royal in part because of all the activities offered. My wife and I are early 30s (started cruising in our late 20s) and the only time we felt "on the young end of the age spectrum" was our cruise on Serenade and that owed mainly to being the youngest people at our table in the MDR. There are some general rules that apply across all lines, such as "If it's cold, they're old." (IE generally Alaska and Canada/New England cruises draw an older set) but I think on Royal you get the experience you want. Want to party it up 'til the late hours? Go to some of the night clubs or parties that happen onboard. Want to play shuffleboard and crossword puzzles? Go for it. Want to have an active vacation with rock climbing, surfing, ice skating, etc? They've got it. Want to eat it up and be a foodie at sea? Well, book the right ship, but they've definitely got it. Allure's definitely a great ship to book in that it sort of has it all - lots of activities, bars, lounges, a Broadway show, ice show, aqua show, lots of dining options.

Out of curiosity are y'all doing an Eastern or Western Caribbean itinerary?

Edited by garnetpalmetto

I'm not at all in your age-group, but I can still remember. ;)

I think Allure is a great first cruise experience for 20-somethings. You will find all types of age-groups and it is a very international ship. So, while it will not feel like "Spring Break" you will still be able to have a great time and not feel at all out of place as younger cruisers. I felt that Allure had more of a resort feel, rather than a cruise-feel since every one is pretty much doing their own thing. Lots of groups of cruisers, extended family, friends, etc. Not exclusively a "couples cruise."

RCI has a very active vibe to its ships with the sports deck, rock-wall, flowrider, ect. to keep everyone occupied. And it has lots of bars, clubs and lounges. I've never been in the dance club but I would guess your age-group could have some fun in there and liven the place up. Assuming your group drinks alcohol, you might want to get a drink package if you think you will have 5 or more/day. There is a comedy club, but make sure to make reservations in advance. I think you might find some of their shows (traditional cruise-like, dance number ones) kind of cheesy, but who knows?

I think you should all have a blast. Enjoy!

Koohiichan

I agree ,You'll find plenty todo and with that many passengers you'll find people in or around your age,plus older people party also LOL

We've cruised a bunch of times in early December, but this year will be our first on Oasis class. The gap between Thanksgiving and Christmas works great for us now that our kids are grown. Great prices sandwiched in the lull between major holiday booms.

That time is less convenient for young parents and their school age kids who are busy with school. Christmas parties, Christmas shopping, and the like. Still a great crowd but not a spring break or feral child vibe to it. I recall plenty of 20 somethings, since if they are often single / childless, and have the flexibility to travel in that window like us empty nest 50ish folks. The cruises I've gone on that were dominated by older crowds, were longer cruises, and non-carribean cruises. I'd think Oasis/Allure would definite attract a fair sized 20 something crowd.

Yeah, I don't quite know what cb at sea is on about but I've seen plenty of people in their mid 20s on Royal in part because of all the activities offered. My wife and I are early 30s (started cruising in our late 20s) and the only time we felt "on the young end of the age spectrum" was our cruise on Serenade and that owed mainly to being the youngest people at our table in the MDR. There are some general rules that apply across all lines, such as "If it's cold, they're old." (IE generally Alaska and Canada/New England cruises draw an older set) but I think on Royal you get the experience you want. Want to party it up 'til the late hours? Go to some of the night clubs or parties that happen onboard. Want to play shuffleboard and crossword puzzles? Go for it. Want to have an active vacation with rock climbing, surfing, ice skating, etc? They've got it. Want to eat it up and be a foodie at sea? Well, book the right ship, but they've definitely got it. Allure's definitely a great ship to book in that it sort of has it all - lots of activities, bars, lounges, a Broadway show, ice show, aqua show, lots of dining options.

Out of curiosity are y'all doing an Eastern or Western Caribbean itinerary?

We're doing western. Haiti, Jamaica, and Cozumel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I'm 23 and I went with my bf who is 24 we are partiers but this ship is so much more than parties!! It was fantastic there's so much do you will have to go again to experience it all. Oh and if your going to Haiti do the zipline excursion!!!! I swear one of the best experiences of my life! We've booked again to go in September next year and this time we're bring a huge group because they saw how much fun we had.

I'm 23 and I went with my bf who is 24 we are partiers but this ship is so much more than parties!! It was fantastic there's so much do you will have to go again to experience it all. Oh and if your going to Haiti do the zipline excursion!!!! I swear one of the best experiences of my life! We've booked again to go in September next year and this time we're bring a huge group because they saw how much fun we had.

This is the exact answer I was hoping for! We're a big group too, also for the same reasons!

It sounds like 1) it's a mixed bag and 2) there's so much to do that we won't even notice what the age of the crowd is.

For those that know the ship well, where can we dance?

You and your group will enjoy this ship. It has tons to do, and it seldom feels overly crowded, except sometimes the windjammer buffet if you go at peak times ... as far as dancing ... I believe the main night club on Allure is "Dazzles" (google it) ... if I recall correctly, it is a two story night club with a dance floor, and live band ... there is also a latin dance club called Boleros ... there was also dancing at my favourite spot the Viking Crown lounge, but I'm not sure if it still exists as that space was being re-done ... others on CC will have more recent information on this space ... I think there are over 20 bars/pubs on board, but only a handful have dance space

Slopoke already gave a few answers but I think the main club you're looking for is the Blaze nightclub, which is a more typical "club" with a DJ and dance music. :)

You and your group will enjoy this ship. It has tons to do, and it seldom feels overly crowded, except sometimes the windjammer buffet if you go at peak times ... as far as dancing ... I believe the main night club on Allure is "Dazzles" (google it) ... if I recall correctly, it is a two story night club with a dance floor, and live band ... there is also a latin dance club called Boleros ... there was also dancing at my favourite spot the Viking Crown lounge, but I'm not sure if it still exists as that space was being re-done ... others on CC will have more recent information on this space ... I think there are over 20 bars/pubs on board, but only a handful have dance space

Nope. VCL is gone on Oasis and Allure now. It's the Suite Lounge and the Coastal Kitchen now.

In addition to the venues listed (Dazzles, Blaze, Bolero's), there's also parties/events throughout the ship - on Oasis for instance there was a '70s disco night on the Royal Promenade as well as a couple events in the Solarium (a whites party and an "Escape" party sponsored by Malibu, I think)

Nope. VCL is gone on Oasis and Allure now. It's the Suite Lounge and the Coastal Kitchen now.

In addition to the venues listed (Dazzles, Blaze, Bolero's), there's also parties/events throughout the ship - on Oasis for instance there was a '70s disco night on the Royal Promenade as well as a couple events in the Solarium (a whites party and an "Escape" party sponsored by Malibu, I think)

How do I find out what the parties are in advance? People dress in the themes I assume.

How do I find out what the parties are in advance? People dress in the themes I assume.

Some do, some don't. I think the only party that really had people really dress out for it was the Prohibition Party (lots of flappers and gangsters that night - maybe 3/4ths of the crowd that went was dressed for it, but it's a party you have to pay for and book in advance so that's probably why). There was some but not a lot dressed for the '70s party and we didn't go to either event in the Solarium, but did spot people in their whites for both the Escape party and the whites party.

I've enjoyed two great spring cruises on Allure. Allure/Oasis do attract a lot of South American groups and that is their early summer.

My husband and I are both in our 20's and on our 3 Oasis sailings we have met plenty of people our own age. (Singles, Couples, and Married)

We certainly weren't the most rowdy people on board, but we defintely had a good time! I never felt like we were too young in comparison to other passengers (though we were among the youngest in the suite lounge). For reference, we generally cruise in early May before school lets out. I haven't been on Oasis or Allure in December to evaluate the crowd.

This is the exact answer I was hoping for! We're a big group too, also for the same reasons!

It sounds like 1) it's a mixed bag and 2) there's so much to do that we won't even notice what the age of the crowd is.

If you are a big group even if you don't attend organized "parties", you will make your own fun in a bar, club, by the pool, whatever. The whole ship is just a fun/party conducive atmosphere, and if that is what you want you will have no trouble finding it. Enjoy!:D

We were on the Allure and they told us over 500 kids were on it. Where they were I have no idea. Never really saw much of them. It wasn't break for College kids or younger ones. A lot of home school kids and foreigners.

They have every kind of music you want to listen to. Plenty of bars and dance

halls I am sure your type of music. You won't be bored.

We didn't like Carnival because too many drunk people. And some were in

their 40's. I didn't see that on Allure or Oasis. They were disrespectful to

the help which gets me so upset watching it.

You will have a great time. Lots to do.