Docking in Auckland

Since you've all been so helpful previously, I'm going to ask another question!

We dock in Auckland at 7am and I am really tempted to book a private tour leaving by ferry at 9.15am. The same tour is available as a shore excursion but is more than twice the price.

My question is, when the ship is docked, do ship excursion passengers still get priority disembarkation or are we all able to leave the ship at a time that suits us? I would not risk this in a tender port but I'm hoping docking at the wharf is different.

Many thanks.

Where will the ferry travel to from Aukland?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I assume you mean the Waiheke or the Devonport Ferry?

If so, as far as I know, they both go from the dock right by the cruise terminal so maybe 5 -10 minutes walk.

We're heading for the Rangitoto Island ferry. The tour is operated by Viator but I suspect it will be the same as the ship's tour, as I believe the only ferries which can go to the Island are operated by Fullers. I do know it's very close to Princes Wharf where we are scheduled to dock.

We're heading for the Rangitoto Island ferry. The tour is operated by Viator but I suspect it will be the same as the ship's tour, as I believe the only ferries which can go to the Island are operated by Fullers. I do know it's very close to Princes Wharf where we are scheduled to dock.

Viator are booking agents that operate worldwide. The ferry trip to Rangitoto is operated by Fullers..

You can check them out here...

http://www.fullers.co.nz/index.php

They also offer tours, but you would need to check that the times fit in OK.

Thanks Kiwi Kruzer. Yes it is a tour departing at 9.15. There is a ships tour which does not specify the time at this point but it would have to be the same one, as the afternoon tour from Fullers would not return in time for All Aboard. We sail at 3pm[emoji17]

Fullers are a large company and have many boats. The Cruise company will have a dedicated boat for themselves. BY all means book your trip to Rangitoto but I would try Fullers direct before using a third party. Should an issue arise like chasing a refund if you use Viator or any other third party you would need to chase them up for a refund (if prepaid) whereas Fullers will deal with you direct. Please note that you will need to take your own water and food to Rangitoto as there is nothing there apart from a rugged walk to the summit where he view is fabulous. There are no shops on the island

Fullers are a large company and have many boats. The Cruise company will have a dedicated boat for themselves. BY all means book your trip to Rangitoto but I would try Fullers direct before using a third party. Should an issue arise like chasing a refund if you use Viator or any other third party you would need to chase them up for a refund (if prepaid) whereas Fullers will deal with you direct. Please note that you will need to take your own water and food to Rangitoto as there is nothing there apart from a rugged walk to the summit where he view is fabulous. There are no shops on the island

Good advice BUT do not take food off the ship - that is a big no-no. There are plenty of options for food in the vicinity. Make sure you have sunscreen also.

Thanks Beanb41, I did originally plan to book Fullers direct, but they only offer afternoon tours on weekdays. The more I think about it this should probably concern me about the Viator option. We could simply catch the ferry and go it alone without a tour but then we don't have access to the road train which I think would be helpful from a time point of view. I might email them again and ask which tour is feasible but I suspect they will point me back to the ships excursion. $130+ v $54 from Viator [emoji57]

Thanks Beanb41, I did originally plan to book Fullers direct, but they only offer afternoon tours on weekdays. The more I think about it this should probably concern me about the Viator option. We could simply catch the ferry and go it alone without a tour but then we don't have access to the road train which I think would be helpful from a time point of view. I might email them again and ask which tour is feasible but I suspect they will point me back to the ships excursion. $130+ v $54 from Viator [emoji57]

The road train means you don't have to walk to the summit. It kinda defeats the purpose of the trip IMO. One might as well catch the lift to the top of the sky tower and save the hassle. The $130 and I guess that's $US is a rip off but then most ships excursions are.

We were in Adelaide earlier in the year on the Solstice and we wanted to see the Pandas at Adelaide Zoo. Ships cost $US54 for return bus to zoo , entry to zoo extra. Private - all day train and bus to and from port $A10. Arrived before the official tour party saw both pandas. When tour party had arrived female panda had gone inside never to come out again all day.

The ship may have booked the morning trip to Rangitoto.