Anyone been on Emerald recently?

mrsgthatsme

Could you tell me your impressions of the Emerald at this point? (Cleanliness, wear and tear, food, service, etc..) My husband and I are booked on a March cruise for our 10 yr anniversary. I have been worrying a bit lately because I have been seeing quite a few very unfavorable reviews about the Emerald (very worn and dated, poor food, etc...) We likely will not take another solo vacation for 10 more years so wanting to make the right choice! I understand that reviews are so subjective and involve personal taste and standards, but just curious as to others' recent observations. Do you think the dry dock coming up will address any of the issues cited by those commenting on the worn and dated-ness? Thanks!!

Weren't there just several threads on this subject? I find it's useful to read the titles of the threads already open before starting another. :) I also find that reviews are all over the place, some good, some bad. If someone goes into a ship expecting bad things, he's sure to find them.

Edited by shredie

Weren't there just several threads on this subject? I find it's useful to read the titles of the threads already open before starting another. :) I also find that reviews are all over the place, some good, some bad. If someone goes into a ship expecting bad things, he's sure to find them.

I'm currently writing a review of the Emerald on page 1 and the bottom line would be- ship is in good shape, food etc up to the Princess standard.

I'll have lots of photos up in a week or so-none of them will show a ship in poor condition.

As Shredie says the Emerald has had a number of threads lately.

Norris

I would recommend keeping your booking until you at least hear reviews post drydock in December. That'll still be before final payment. My prediction as someone who will be sailing here straight out of drydock and over Christmas is that she will be gleaming! Remember, she will have the new Share restaurant and the new gastropub. We are quite excited about those additions!

I know this is not exactly recent, but when we were aboard Emerald Princess last November I don't recall seeing anything that seemed particularly worn, other than issues with some of the elevator buttons (it was an ongoing joke with the passengers about having to push the elevator button 2-3 times to get them to register) and part of the Movies Under the Stars screen, which will hopefully be updated to HD when in dry dock..

Thanks to all who provided insight based on their recent trips. I have been reading the other Emerald posts that are floating around and the negatives from those are part of what prompted my post to get others' points of view who have been on recently. I appreciate your insight and its great to hear that several mention the dry dock might provide a bit of freshening up.

We'll be on her just after drydock so will let you know.. Bimmer, what time were you actually able to disembark? We have an early (10:50 am) flight so want to get an idea.

We chose to disembark in Barcelona at 9 a.m (no plane to catch)

Colors started getting off at 7. Ship docked at 5 a.m

Norris

I just returned from 21 days on the Emerald. The ship is pretty and has a few barely noticeable spots of worn carpet or upholstery. A spot of rust on a balcony strut. Nothing to base canceling a cruise upon!

We felt the food ranged from fair to very good, though we always ate in the dining room--The soups were especially nice. Service was consistently excellent, with a few slow moments.

We have not had experience with Princess for many years, so have no real comparison. Our problems were with those things many others on this board have mentioned in the past--the beds, the "pitches" for photos and drinks, "nickel and diming." These things occur on all mainstream cruise lines, I think.

Crew told us that the two weeks of repair will mostly be for the engines. But, as I said, the ship does not look tacky or worn out.

Could you tell me your impressions of the Emerald at this point? (Cleanliness, wear and tear, food, service, etc..) My husband and I are booked on a March cruise for our 10 yr anniversary. I have been worrying a bit lately because I have been seeing quite a few very unfavorable reviews about the Emerald (very worn and dated, poor food, etc...) We likely will not take another solo vacation for 10 more years so wanting to make the right choice! I understand that reviews are so subjective and involve personal taste and standards, but just curious as to others' recent observations. Do you think the dry dock coming up will address any of the issues cited by those commenting on the worn and dated-ness? Thanks!!

I spent 21 days on her in August September and she was of course worn but very elegant The ship was clean - extremely so and there was no noro virus at all in the time we were on board or on the previous cruise I heard. I found the staff excellent and friendly - loved the ship - you will have a great time

I was on the Emerald Princess for seven ten day cruises The last one was in 2013. My wife and I love that ship. We think it's one of Princess Cruises best ships. "Is it worn and dated, poor food, etc.." It was NOT when we were on it in January 2013 for 20 days.

Tony

Hi

Just off the Emerald, relax you will have a great cruise, nothing wrong with the Emerald, might something wrong with some off the passengers.:)

yours Shogun

Where, oh where, is the "like" button!!!

Just disembarked 5 days ago from the transatlantic cruise the lovely Emerald Princess, and really could find nothing about her appearance or the food or the service to complain about.

There WERE issues with the ship's internet access throughout the 14 days, but I feel confident that will be righted as part of the drydock, if not well before that.

If you were sailing tomorrow, I think you would enjoy being on her. She is definitely not a worn out, bedraggled old tub!

Since you don't sail on her till after her drydock, I think you will find her looking beautiful, and will have a great cruise!!

Just got off her a few days ago and are scheduled to go on her again in February. Keep your booking, you will have a great trip. Chairs were stained, we commented on it as we walked around, said it will be interesting to see the changes after drydock when we are back in February and that is an easy fix. Other than that, service was great food was very good. I hear the Cruise Director is being swapped out as well (might be a good thing), cruise staff was good. All in all we had a great trip and I wouldn't hesitate to sail her again. Enjoy you anniversary trip!!

We have never been on the Emerald but we have booked a cruise on her for next August even though we have read the reviews. I think that we need to go on her and form or own views because I have read reviews in the past concerning a cruise that we were on and I have wondered whether the reviewers were really on the same cruise as us as their view was totally different to mine.

There may be things that I would prefer to be different on the cruise as most ships I have been on have had minor things that I didn't like but I do not stress the about small things and I will enjoy the cruise. This will be the first cruise with Princess for 4 years but having done 12 cruises with P&O, Cunard and Celebrity in those 4 years I am now ready to give Princess another try because they are visiting a port on this particular cruise that I particularly want to see. Being elite on Princess I know that they can do things right so I will go with an open mind but if we have the appalling service that we had on the Crown I won't give them a third chance.

We all need to make up our own minds and accept that we are all different and so will all like or dislike different aspects of our cruises.

Hi

Just off the Emerald, relax you will have a great cruise, nothing wrong with the Emerald, might something wrong with some off the passengers.:)

yours Shogun

We are just off the Emerald too. Sorry to say it was a much diffent experience to our Emerald cruise in April/May. Big shortage of restaurant staff meant long lines for anytime dining, shows and films re- runs and lack of wine available made it not a favourable cruise. The worst thing was the deep cleaning of the waiter's stations while we were all still eating!

I think that any ship's standards are governed by its management. This time sadly there seemed to be low control. By the time you travel I am sure that things will have improved back to the normal Princess standards as it was earlier in the year.

Check out my review from last month. Great cruise, excellent food, ship is in great condition.

Hi millye-may

Sorry to hear that anytime dining did not go well, we only ever take late traditional, our waiters were good, head waiter helped out, chef even came to our table for a chat,

Princess repeats shows and movies etc for months we have cruised different ships and had same movies and TV

Could play a part in the Love Boat . Hotel Manager had just rejioned the ship,

Yours Shogun

My friends and I did Anytime Dining, and never had more than a few minutes of wait time to be seated. All of the wait staff was at least competent and pleasant, and several were just plain great. The headwaiter stopped by our table most nights to see if everything was okay.

Please don't think I am a Princess cheerleader and wouldn't report anything that sounds negative. I just really had nothing negative about this cruise that was deserving of being reported. (Except, of course, the internet issues previously mentioned.)

My friends and I did Anytime Dining, and never had more than a few minutes of wait time to be seated. All of the wait staff was at least competent and pleasant, and several were just plain great. The headwaiter stopped by our table most nights to see if everything was okay.

Please don't think I am a Princess cheerleader and wouldn't report anything that sounds negative. I just really had nothing negative about this cruise that was deserving of being reported. (Except, of course, the internet issues previously mentioned.)

I was on the same cruise with Flamomo but for 21 days and I must say that I totally agree with her. No complaints about anything including the Crown Grill where I celebrated my birthday with friends.

Deanna