Valor steakhouse experience

thewynn

I have read reviews about how good the food is in the steakhouse and I believe it. We actually were going to do the steakhouse on the Dream on our last cruise but I got Norovirus and couldn't make it.

We are cruising Valor in a couple months and I made reservations for the steakhouse. I'm a little concerned about one aspect of it, the time it takes to eat dinner there. I saw somewhere to allow 2 1/2 hrs. I can't imagine taking that long to eat- let's just say my wife and I are both fast eaters and don't like to sit around after a meal. I am thinking that this may not be for us, ESPECIALLY since I have read that I can order a steakhouse entree in the MDR (for the up charge) and it is really me that is looking forward to the steakhouse food, not my wife so much. She would go because I want to go but would only probably get the chicken.

So food reviews aside, can you tell me a little about the experience and what you do for 2 1/2 hours? Will we likely be bored during the courses? Any other thoughts on this.

Thanks

The meal is served in several courses and takes time to prepare. It is an elegant dining experience. A similar experience on land would cost many times what it costs on the ship. What you do all that time is Enjoy the company of your tablemate, in this case your wife, perhaps over a bottle of fine wine. If you just want to dine and dash, the steakhouse is not for you.

The meal is served in several courses and takes time to prepare. It is an elegant dining experience. A similar experience on land would cost many times what it costs on the ship. What you do all that time is Enjoy the company of your tablemate, in this case your wife, perhaps over a bottle of fine wine. If you just want to dine and dash, the steakhouse is not for you.

Agree but in many visits to the steakhouse it had never taken two and a half hours. It may be that I book on none busy days, but an hour and a half is closer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree 100% with the others here. Yes, it takes a bit of time, but it's very enjoyable time. Also, if it's just you, and your wife, it won't take as long as it would if you had several diners all at the same table. Food and service are truly OUTSTANDING, and far better than you could EVER experience in the main dining room. Book it, and enjoy! ;)

"SKY"

This past May we took the Valor on a 8 night Southern Caribbean Cruise. We dined at the steakhouse the first night, excellent overall experience. It was my birthday actually and the manager gave all 5 of us a glass of complimentary champagne and a special dessert was made for me.

The second night we went to the dining room, we had anytime/mytime dining, we were handed a buzzer and waited about 18 minutes for a table, we were seated and our servers were very attentive and friendly, unfortunately all of us did not care for anything we had to eat, the food was just ok/fair, nothing special and we all had different items, the salad you can't go wrong as so is the potato and the little bit veggie they give you on the plate....but the meat was tough not a good quality, the food was overcooked it was just banquet food which we expect but it was under our standards.

As a result the remaining 6 evenings we dined at the steakhouse, requested the same server she was excellent, actually they all were but it was very personable to get Alexandria each night.

Yes, the dinner is at least two hours and I would not want it any other way. We don't want courses to come out to the table on top of one another, we do not want to be rushed, we don't eat at fast food establishments ever so we are used to the amount of time this dinner took, it averaged 2 1/2 hours because your eating a few courses and they take a little bit of time in between courses to give you a rest, again, we don't just shove the food in our mouths, we enjoy the experience. I have to say each one of us tried everything on the menu all seven evenings, there was only one item we didn't care for the french onion soup was way too strong/rich other than that everything was tasty, cooked the way we asked and perfect. The steaks were fabulous, the lobster I must of had three nights was huge and excellent and service was remarkable. Once you finish the meal you can get right up and leave.

I say give it a try you may just enjoy it.

2 hours may seem like a long time for dinner, specially for people who are used to shoveling food as fast as they can and leaving, but when you're actually there, it doesn't seem that long.

A big part of going to the steakhouse is not the food, but the overall experience. How many times do you get to sit down with your spouse, in a soothing, unhurried environment, where you can enjoy time with each other, talk, and just reconnect? Dinner takes a longer time simply because you're enjoying different courses, and you're given time to actually savor and experience each one.

That's why I love going to the Steakhouse so much. My wife and I live in a constant state of hurry between two professions that keep us away from home often, 2 kids, and all the responsibilities that come with that. Slowing down and actually taking time to DINE (not just eat) is a very welcome change of pace, and one that we always look forward to, no matter what ship or cruise line. We've made dining at specialty restaurants a part of all out cruises.

And yes, the cuisine is THAT good. We've done specialty restaurants on several cruise lines (including more upscale ones like Holland America) and to this day, the quality and service that we've experienced on Carnival steakhouses can't be rivaled. Carnival may be considered a budget cruise line, but the Steakhouse experience is definitely not.

Edited by Tapi

I thought the same thing you thought my first time dining in specialty dining. The 2 - 2.5 hours actually goes by rather quickly. Especially if you are enjoying it with friends or a significant other.

Enjoy! I have heard SO many great things about Carnivals steakhouses that its one of the things Im looking most forward to! :)

Would anyone recommend having the steakhouse entree's in the MDR? I think the upcharge is like $20 or $25.

As noted above, the steak/extra cost meals in the dining room are NOT the steak house, but they are very, very good. I personally, would put that $20 towards the cost of the steak house, but having said that, I had four folks at my table last cruise, who bought the $20 meals every evening, and loved each and every one. ;) Try it,,,,you might like it!

"SKY"

Would anyone recommend having the steakhouse entree's in the MDR? I think the upcharge is like $20 or $25.

The last time I had an up charge steak in the MDR you could not compare it with the steakhouse. This is my opinion but I would go to the steakhouse, as I have never had a bad meal in anyone of them.

Very well said! I would say it was only 2 hours for hubby and I, if that long. We've dined at Scarlett's on several ships and it's been outstanding every time. We celebrated our 25th anniversary on the Valor in October 2014. Our anniversary dinner was at Scarlett's - amazing!! And if you dine there on the first night of the cruise, a free bottle of wine is included.

I'd say no. A big part of the Steakhouse experience is the restaurant's elegant and unhurried ambiance which makes the cuisine much more enjoyable.

For me, the MDR is loud, packed, and hurried. Kinda like going to a chain restaurant on a Friday night. It would make no sense (at least to me), to pay extra to eat in that environment.

I'd say no. A big part of the Steakhouse experience is the restaurant's elegant and unhurried ambiance which makes the cuisine much more enjoyable.

For me, the MDR is loud, packed, and hurried. Kinda like going to a chain restaurant on a Friday night. It would make no sense (at least to me), to pay extra to eat in that environment.

Agreed! If you're going to pay $20-25, why not pay $35 and have an outstanding dining experience? Plus, I wouldn't think the steak would be as good in the MDR. In the Steakhouse, it's practically cooked in front of you (cooking area can be seen from the dining area), and delivered immediately. Just wonderful! It's such a relaxing dining experience for sure.

I agree 100% with the others here. Yes, it takes a bit of time, but it's very enjoyable time. Also, if it's just you, and your wife, it won't take as long as it would if you had several diners all at the same table. Food and service are truly OUTSTANDING, and far better than you could EVER experience in the main dining room. Book it, and enjoy! ;)

"SKY"

Well said. It is truly an outstanding dining experience. I spent $300.00 for my wife and myself at a local high end steakhouse and we didn't enjoy it as much as The Steakhouse on the Valor.

I agree, The Steakhouse environment is so much nicer than the MDR.

I did pay the upcharge in the MDR on my last cruise in August. I wanted surf and turf and my cruise mates didn't want to do the Steakhouse for a third time in five nights. I really like the flat iron steak (I know, call me crazy) anyway I had the flat iron and then paid the upcharge for the lobster tails. That coupled with a pomegranate martini and a caesar salad and I was in heaven and sad that it was our last night on the Sunshine.

A couple of comments about how long it takes to eat in The Steakhouse.

The food and the ambience are really that good, especially if you get there when it is still daylight and have a window seat.

We like to go on the first night of the cruise and get a nice bottle of wine for 50% off.

The 2 to 2.5 hours are really enjoyable and as mentioned above in the hustle bustle world it is nice to just slow down.

We actually look at it as an excursion that you don't have to the ship to enjoy.

I'm sailing on Valor in January and have had a reservation for Scarlett's for months! I am looking forward to the relaxing, slow pace and the elegance of the environment. My sister is treating me to a "fancy dinner" for my birthday (a big one), well, she's also treating for the cruise...:D

OK, you guys have pretty much convinced me to do the steakhouse. Next question, I have a steakhouse reservation for 6pm on our Cozumel day, this is the same time that the ship is scheduled to leave port. I am not worried about being rushed back on the ship, we plan to be on the ship plenty by around 3pm. I like hanging out and watching as the ship leaves port, someone earlier mentioned a window table. How likely is it to get a window table and is the restaurant in a good location to enjoy watching the ship leave port while enjoying dinner? Would 6pm be a good time for the steakhouse?

Due to our child's schedule I don't want to schedule our dinner much later so my only other choice would be about 6pm on our second sea day.

Thanks

We sailed on the Valor last week. We ate in the Steakhouse on the first night of the cruise. It was outstanding, food and service excellent. I had the seasoned ribeye and it was the bomb.

It was just the two of us, and I believe it took us less than two hours, I would say an hour and half maybe. The place was very quite, and we where allowed to choose our own table, probably 6 others tables in use that night. We even arrived 40 minutes early and had no problem been seated early.

As for the free bottle of wine. I had read about how bad the free bottle was, well maybe I like my wine to much, but I didn't find a thing wrong with it. I've drank a lot worse and had to pay for it. Also last week the free bottle of wine was offered on both the first and second night of the cruise.

After eating in the steakhouse you'll laugh at the shrimp cocktail they served in the main dining room, they served "real" jumbo shrimp in the steakhouse.

The service in the main dining room was terrible, at least in our section. Next time we cruise we're doing steakhouse at least twice and going with any time seating, that may we may not get stuff with terrible rude wait staff. During breakfast brunch, which by the way is also excellent first time we had done this. The service was great. I talked to other quests during the cruise and they had no problems with there wait staff, so I'm not saying they where all bad, I guess we just got unlucky.