Princess Cruises to Launch 'Style at Sea with TLC' Program, Expand Enrichment

LauraS

They have been doing the Runway at Sea thing for years and it's never a big deal. I know someone who modeled once. She said somebody just came up and asked her if she wanted to do it. She was quite attractive, BTW. This new thing says the idea will be "revamped," so I doubt it will be done as the current fashion show is. I can envision lots of people finding this appealing since it is hooked up with TLC. Anything on TV is a draw, apparently.

My almost 16 YO DD is very excited about this on our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise. She wants to be one of the models. she is very into fashion and has a cute little figure but I draw the line at parading around in a bikini.:eek:

I agree that on the longer cruises there should be some guest lecturers. When we sailed HAL round trip Hawaii there were several interesting lectures on the Hawaiian culture, the Ring of Fire and the volcanic activity in Hawaii and the history of the Hawaiian islands.

There was also a great etiquette course, which I wish more people had taken. I hate it when people don't know which bread plate is theirs and they mess up the entire table.

Even on 7 night cruises MSC offers Italian lessons on the sea days.

I think the ideas is nice to a point, but I think it would be better placed on Princess' website (or here on CC) for those needing info on what to wear on their cruise. By the time you get to the cruise, you are here....You are already packed. -Unless Princess is hoping you just bring an empty suitcase and a large credit card! :rolleyes:

I myself would like more cooking presentations. I want to know how to make some of the great dishes that they make on board. Have it more than once and not for so many people at a time. Give out copies of the recipes they make at the time. Not just push the cook book sales!

Maybe they could also do more talking about the ports and not just what shops to talk about. How about what's great to see in city X that most cruisers never see. Like off the beaten path from those who have been there, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been to the navigator lecture, old ships lecture, engineer lecture and other lectures that they don't seem to do anymore. Princess really needs to up the quality of their offerings during sea days including histories of the areas we are visiting. On the through canal cruise they had a professor talk about each of the ports the day before and did an extensive lecture on the canal which was great.

As for the current offering for a male...ho hum!

I saw Runway at Sea on the Crown Princess. It was poorly promoted, and the models they chose were extremely awkward. I would like to know when and how they chose the models so I can get involved.

27926-profile.png

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams), lobster, and Creme brulee!

This looks like fun! I love fashion shows like project runway.

Good advertising for their stores too.

marge

I participated in the Runway At Sea on a 19 day South American cruise aboard the Golden Princess. It was lots of fun. There were models of all ages and genders, kids to seniors.

You got to pick what you wanted to wear from clothes available at the Calypso Cove. Staff picked accessories for your outfit.

The best part was each participant got a professional 8x10 photo taken while they were modeling. We also received a group photo. Participants received a 20% discount on a one time purchase at Calypso Cove.

Maybe they could also do more talking about the ports and not just what shops to talk about. How about what's great to see in city X that most cruisers never see. Like off the beaten path from those who have been there, etc.

I have been to the navigator lecture, old ships lecture, engineer lecture and other lectures that they don't seem to do anymore.

Once you are away from the Caribbean and Alaska, the port lectures are about the port and not about Diamonds International.

And we have been to navigator and engineer lectures this year on Princess ships.

The longer the cruise and the more sea says on a cruise, the more interesting lectures are offered. On a 12 day British Isles cruise with just two sea days, I would not expect a number of lectures.

Once you are away from the Caribbean and Alaska, the port lectures are about the port and not about Diamonds International.

And we have been to navigator and engineer lectures this year on Princess ships.

The longer the cruise and the more sea says on a cruise, the more interesting lectures are offered. On a 12 day British Isles cruise with just two sea days, I would not expect a number of lectures.

Alaska has a Naturalist onboard and usually 2 speakers who come onboard who talk about Alaska. They usually do a good job in Alaska with their Alaska program.

Edited by Coral

When I started cruising, I went to all the "port" talks expecting to learn something about where I was and where we were going! NOT They were boring, and I find they are not as well attended as they used to be. Not much "free" stuff at them anymore, and that was the draw for some.

I have been on cruise lines where they have a guest lecture on various topics, and those are well attended! And you can watch them on your room tv after the show if you did not make the talk.

Not a fan of how to pack after I am on board, may look at it briefly if part of the website, would not bother to attend unless it was a rainy day at sea.

Rarely buy much now with the extra costs of baggage, unless it is something unique, and that does not happen on ship or in most ports.

Hard to please the masses!

• 3 months later...