Upsell Offer?

gdoyle

Just got an "exclusive" offer from Princess to upsell from an inside to balcony on Regal over Thanksgiving week for $119. Does that mean we may have a chance for free upgrade upon check in?

No, and if I were you I would secure this exclusive offer ASAP!

Just got an "exclusive" offer from Princess to upsell from an inside to balcony on Regal over Thanksgiving week for $119. Does that mean we may have a chance for free upgrade upon check in?

Very seldom do you get upgrades like that. I would take it. I did that on my last cruise in March. Mine was $100pp. We ended up with a rear facing cabin, the best that we have ever had.

Princess new strategy is to up sale rather than upgrade. They will upgrade within categories but seldom to a higher cabin.

It means for an additional $119 (probably per person) you will guarantee yourself a balcony cabin. There's no chance involved. You pay your extra money and you get your cabin. I don't know if you get to select the cabin or if it's a guarantee that's assigned later. CALL!

Edit: After re-reading your question, I guess you're really asking, if because they have balconies available does that increase the chances for an upgrade? I suppose so but the more folks that take the offer, the more your chances for a free upgrade go down.

I concur with the others, a bird in the hand ...

Edited by beg3yrs

No, and if I were you I would secure this exclusive offer ASAP!

I agree however, where is the balcony cabin located? If it's under the Lido deck I wouldn't take it. We fell for that "upgrade" once before and ended up right under Movies Under the Stars, and people clomping and chairs being moved at all hours of the night. Also, make sure it's not an obstructed view cabin too.

Edited by elliair

A week ago we were given an upsell offer. I went to a cruise site and found out which cabins were available in the offered category. I chose 2, and said we would take 1 of them--if not, we would stay put. Later that evening Princess called and gave us the cabin we chose. So, I think they will work with you if you state a preference.

We were offered an upsell for our last cruise. Oceanview to balcony. When I talked to the rep, I asked if that included Premium balconies and the answer was "yes". She then offered me a midship balcony. I saw that there was an aft balcony available and asked for that. Score!:D

Love those aft balconies.

You can almost always choose the cabin for an upsell.;)

We were offered an up-sell from our mini-suite to a suite. But if I wanted to spend the extra $500+ pp they were offering it for, I would have bought the drink package.

I mean the full suite would have been awesome, but an additional grand? Nah! I really don't want to get that spoiled!

(My TA is the one who extended me the offer from Princess)

Edited by srlafleur

Seems like most people writing about upsells lately indicate being contacted by Princess, ergo they had booked directly.

I wonder if Princess is offering upsells to direct bookings where possible and bypassing the TA bookings?

Nope, Princess sends out the emails to the TA's, too. Some are better than others at forwarding them on to their clients. We got one for our upcoming cruise, but passed on it.

Nope, Princess sends out the emails to the TA's, too. Some are better than others at forwarding them on to their clients. We got one for our upcoming cruise, but passed on it.

If one shows up, I hope mine is around to fwd it on promptly. I did ask Princess rep last time I was on phone with them to check if any had been sent out and she said no.

Our experience with upsell offers is that you can pretty much pick your cabin from those available within the category offered. On our last upsell the Princess rep suggested the cabin that he considered to be the "best" available (the closest to midship), however it was Port and we preferred Starboard so he then gave us the closest cabin to midship on the Starboard side.

Thanks to this thread I called our TA this afternoon and asked if Princess was offering any upgrades. The rep I spoke with said that Princess normally didn't offer upsells until around two weeks before sailing. She offered to check with her contact and I held. She came back with great news that they were offering to upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony for $119 pp.

This is for the aft section of Regal sailing the end of next month. If I wanted mid ship the price was approximately $250 pp. I agreed to the aft area and was given two cabins, one on the Emerald deck and the other on the Marina deck. The Marina cabin would have been near the Horizon Court so I passed on that one.

I accepted the Emerald cabin and once again held while everything was confirmed with Princess. More good news, the cost was now only $162 in total. Uh OK I'll take that!

So there are deals to be had, just research where you'd like to be and pick accordingly.

Thanks again for posting this topic!