Hotel suggestion for Fort Lauderdale

roxievegas

We are doing a transatlantic in April 2016. We would like to get a nice hotel $100 - $200 for the night that has store within walking distance to purchase wine and soda. We are not planning to purchase a drink package until later in the cruise, so would like to get by on two bottles of wine and 24 package of soda for a week. Cruise is 13 nights. I have been searching this site and others to get recommendations, but wanted to specify why we need the hotel to be close to grocery, drug or box store.

We are doing a transatlantic in April 2016. We would like to get a nice hotel $100 - $200 for the night that has store within walking distance to purchase wine and soda. We are not planning to purchase a drink package until later in the cruise, so would like to get by on two bottles of wine and 24 package of soda for a week. Cruise is 13 nights. I have been searching this site and others to get recommendations, but wanted to specify why we need the hotel to be close to grocery, drug or box store.

Hyatt Place on 10th, it is across the street from Embassy Suites and might be less expensive.

On the Saturday evening prior to my cruise on the Silhouette, I will be staying at the Quality Inn. I got for $89 for the night on hotel.com. Its not bad. I stayed here 2 years ago also prior to another Silhouette cruise. It has a free airport shuttle. Don't recall waiting long at the airport but I might just hit right back then. A Chipolte is across the street, which fine for my wife & I. Since we plan to arrive at the hotel around 6pm, its quick and don't plan to do anything for that evening. We will use the shuttle to the cruise terminal in the morning. It is $6/pp.

We were on the April, 2015 transatlantic on the Constellation. We spent the night before the cruise at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street. They offer free shuttle from the airport. There is shopping across the street including a Winn-Dixie (for soft drinks, mixers and snacks). There is a wine store next to Winn Dixie, plus they sell wine in the grocery store. There are several places to eat, but since our plane arrived three hours late, we had pizza delivered to our room. On departure day we took a cab rather than booking a paid shuttle. We checked out at 12:00 Noon, had a small lunch, did our shopping and left for the ship at about 1:30 PM. No lines for checkin, the rooms were ready so we could drop our carry ons in our room, and have a second lunch on board.

HIlton Fort Lauderdale Hotel and Marina. It is right next to the 17th St. bridge and can be easily seen from the ship. Has a shuttle but not free. In April, the price might be down to around $110 around the time the last Caribbean cruise stops.... just in time for a trans-Atlantic? There is a CVS a block or so away which has wine, munchies etc. It is several blocks down from Embassy Suites. We have stayed there twice before and will do so again after our Nov. Cruise.

Hotel is not so modern but it is clean with great views and pool area.

Bill

The Florida Forum has dozens and dozen of threads about hotels,

restaurants, transportation, etc on it........

Here is a link: you could spend probably spend a few hours (literally)

following every thread.......many people ask the same question as

yours.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=672

I can't offer any suggestions because of your price range. However, once you've picked a few hotels that fit your requirements, use google maps and center the map on your selected hotel. Right click for search nearby and insert grocery store, restaurants, etc.

We stayed at Hyatt 17th st. prior to our TA last year, booking through Value Trips, which seems to have special rates with them. No complaints about the hotel, & there is a large wine box store (can't remember the name) within walking distance, where we got very good prices on wine to bring aboard.

Here is the link to value trips:http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

Have a great cruise!!!

We vote for the Embassy Suites if you can get it for a good price. Great evening cocktail hour and GREAT breakfast.

We booked on the Embassy Suites website. With AAA discount the price was $169.00 per night for the first 2 nights and $179.00 for the 3rd night. That's for a December 2015 arrival. Agreed about the cocktails and great breakfast. It's a real breakfast not just cereal and unripened fruit. Well worth the price IMHO.

I prefer Embassy Suites, but anything in the 17th St. area will meet your requirements. Depending on what else is going on in Ft. Lauderdale and how many other ships are embarking that day, you may or may not be able to meet your price point. Expect to pay something closer to $200 than $100.

Roz

We did Courtyard Marriott Plantation this past June. It was actually our second time to stay there before a Ft. Lauderdale departure. It was 99 a night. They picked us up at the airport, and then took us to the cruise terminal the next morning.

Walking distance from several places to eat, a Barnes and Noble bookstore, Dicks Sporting goods, and a large liquor store. Great place to stay.

Edited by aggieljh

Always try to find your hotel on a map. Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding areas have many, many hotels from the major brands. Some are convenient to the port, and others might be a 45 minute drive. The latter are probably convenient to a large business with a local presence, like American Express, AT&T, Motorola, Cigna, etc., but they're far from the port. However, if they have shuttle service, they might be a good weekend value.

Always try to find your hotel on a map. Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding areas have many, many hotels from the major brands. Some are convenient to the port, and others might be a 45 minute drive. The latter are probably convenient to a large business with a local presence, like American Express, AT&T, Motorola, Cigna, etc., but they're far from the port. However, if they have shuttle service, they might be a good weekend value.

I would not consider booking a hotel until after I performed a map reconnaissance. If you center google map on the hotel location, a right click will allow you to search for nearby restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Go to earth view to get a very good idea of the neighborhood.

I prefer Embassy Suites, but anything in the 17th St. area will meet your requirements. Depending on what else is going on in Ft. Lauderdale and how many other ships are embarking that day, you may or may not be able to meet your price point. Expect to pay something closer to $200 than $100.

Roz

We looked at hotels on 17th street (Embassy, Hyatt, Holiday Inn) for April 2016 and they are really expensive. Not sure if it's just because we're looking at CAD, but $340 - $420 CAD. (Not sure US equivalent)

Edited by LuCruise