motion sicknesson Inside Passage

triplets3

I am not very good on water, and most of the motion sickness medications seem to work in the air, but not on water.

My question is the Inside Passage from Vancouver to Juneau or Skagway.

I would not take a cruise that goes through Glacier Bay, but am interested in a 3 day cruise on the Inside Passage, and then a land tour in Alaska.

Has anyone experienced any turbulance in the water between Vancouver and Skagway? Everyone says the waters are smooth and ship large, but it does not take too much disturbance to create a problem.

Would appreciate any feedback from previous travelers.

Thank you.

While rough waters would be an anomaly, you should bring something to treat motion sickness, if you are that prone to it. Nothing is worse than feeling terrible on vacation!!! A ship is but a cork floating on top of whatever body of water....there will be motion of some sort!

Edited by cb at sea

I have had zero to severe motion once the ship leaves the protection of Vancouver Island on its way north. The "severe" was only one time, but it was pretty severe. There were very few pax out and about, though DH and I were fine. That is an anomaly, in my experience, but it did happen.

There is a forum here on CC specific to Alaska:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=55

Look around there, and use the Search function to see what others have reported. If you can't find enough info doing that, try posting your question there :)

I am not very good on water, and most of the motion sickness medications seem to work in the air, but not on water.

My question is the Inside Passage from Vancouver to Juneau or Skagway.

I would not take a cruise that goes through Glacier Bay, but am interested in a 3 day cruise on the Inside Passage, and then a land tour in Alaska.

Has anyone experienced any turbulance in the water between Vancouver and Skagway? Everyone says the waters are smooth and ship large, but it does not take too much disturbance to create a problem.

Would appreciate any feedback from previous travelers.

Thank you.

There are no three day inside passage cruises from Vancouver . Most cruises that have land tours are 7 day to Seward or Whittier . On these cruises you'll have 1 to 2 days in the open ocean.

Where did you get the idea of three day inside passage cruises ?

There are no three day inside passage cruises from Vancouver . Most cruises that have land tours are 7 day to Seward or Whittier . On these cruises you'll have 1 to 2 days in the open ocean.

Holland America has one that disembarks people in Skagway. And a new group joins the ship for the trip back south. So effectively a 3 day cruise portion each way.

Edited by CowPrincess

Kamloops,

Holland America has two trips that are only 3 day cruises and then go Whitehorse, Dawson and Denali, and Ankchorage on land.

I appreciate others saying that the Inside Passage can get rough out of Vancouver

I talked to people on that cruise in Whitehorse. They told me that won't do it again. Much to rushed to enjoy the cruise.

7 day with land tour was better.

So first the cruise doesn't even exist. But when confronted with the truth, you story becomes that the cruise is no good. And how do you know it is no good? Because you have previously talked to people who have taken the cruise you asserted does not exist!

Covering up one lie with another never works out.

When we started cruising, this cruise tour started in Whitehorse. They used to fly everyone to Whitehorse from Vancouver on a charted jet. They traveled by bus to Anchorage via Dawson City and Fairbanks. The bus ride from Dawson City to Fairbanks was a two day with nothing but trees. When this the route it wasn't very popular.

Now they fly everyone from Dawson City to Fairbanks.

Kamloops,

Holland America has two trips that are only 3 day cruises and then go Whitehorse, Dawson and Denali, and Ankchorage on land.

I appreciate others saying that the Inside Passage can get rough out of Vancouver

It's been a long time (1995 on Holland America's Statendam), but that was the only time I have ever felt seasick. We apparently had 9' waves and I was a bit green, our stateroom was forward. No issues since then, including a second Alaska sailing.

Take a preventative medication, such as Bonine, before you sail- and one each day. Don't wait until you don't feel well. You will likely be fine on your amazing cruise. :)

jmf123

I thought if I did the inside passage, and not the Bay part of the cruise, it was almost guaranteed to be smooth sailing.

I think I have pretty much decided by the responses, that this is not the trip for me. I thought it would be a chance to experience cruising. Up till now, because of my motions sickness, we have just done River Cruises, which have not been a problem.

I did want to go to Alaska, but most of the land trips are too short. With air fares so high, I would like a longer trip to make it worth while.

Thanks you for your help.

triplets3, you know yourself better than anyone, but it's a shame to give up the experience of cruising Alaska when chances are the waters will be smooth, and there are preventative measures to take such as Bonine, the patch, etc. I don't recall where we were when I wasn't feeling well, it could have been in the area of Sitka. I do remember how absolutely smooth the Inside Passage was, as I took photos from our balcony.

You didn't mention your experience with cruiseships, which are very different from a ferry or boat with regard to motion. Departing r.t. from Vancouver is more likely to be a 'calm' sailing, compared with a Seattle r.t.

No guarantees from Mother Nature, but for more insight on sailing the Inside Passage, you may want to google statistics of getting seasick on Inside Passage alaska cruise and reading through some of the topics there. :)

To build on what jmf123 said, another thing to consider is your cabin location. If you are low in the ship, and at or close to midship, you will feel substantially LESS motion, if the seas are rough.

What ship is Holland America using for the trip you are (were???) thinking about?

I get sea sick at the drop of a hat, but I do fine on cruises in even the roughest waters if I have my Sea Band wrist bands on and Bonine ready and waiting if I need it. Dramamine is readily available if the Bonine isn't working.

I did need and use my wrist bands in the Inside Passage. I noticed plenty of other passengers with scopolamine patches and wrist bands. Sea sickness is common, and is commonly dealt with. Don't let it torpedo your vacation.

An itinerary out of Vancouver as you likely know sails between Vancouver Is. and the mainland. You will have some open water in Queen Charlotte Sound which is north of Vancover Is. and the Queen Charlotte Islands then again in Dixon Entrance which is north of the QCIs, however we are speaking of a few hours in each instance. While this is probably as smooth an itinerary that I can think of, that does not preclude the possibility of a storm that can make things rough....that's not the norm but it can happen.