Battling the heat on a canal cruise

jasbo49

My wife and I really don't care for heat and humidity (yeah, so why are we going on a canal cruise? I hear you). We're looking for ways to deal with it on our December cruise.

I'm planning to get a couple of those microfiber cooling towels, like this:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00QD7U306/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3A3XK5UGRZBU8&coliid=I11T024WFUP5C8&psc=1

and maybe we should bring a miniature fan. Do past canal cruisers have any other suggestion to mitigate the heat and humidity? Hats, obviously, but what else?

Jim

My wife and I really don't care for heat and humidity (yeah, so why are we going on a canal cruise? I hear you). We're looking for ways to deal with it on our December cruise.

I'm planning to get a couple of those microfiber cooling towels, like this:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00QD7U306/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3A3XK5UGRZBU8&coliid=I11T024WFUP5C8&psc=1

and maybe we should bring a miniature fan. Do past canal cruisers have any other suggestion to mitigate the heat and humidity? Hats, obviously, but what else?

Jim

Is your cruise a full transit or partial? Are you planning on any excursions? Like with other warm climates, the temperature can fluctuate quite a bit depending on cloud cover. No doubt that it can get hot and humid, but I did not find it unbearable, but I tried to limit myself with respect to time out in full sun. Look for the shady spots.

Try to pick a ship with good INSIDE places to view the canal. :)

Thanks. It's a little late for picking ships, though. We're on the Island Princess, and the only indoor place I see to view it is the Horizon Court buffet up front. I don't think it would be very nice to stake out a table for a long time just to watch.

Jim

Is your cruise a full transit or partial? Are you planning on any excursions? Like with other warm climates, the temperature can fluctuate quite a bit depending on cloud cover. No doubt that it can get hot and humid, but I did not find it unbearable, but I tried to limit myself with respect to time out in full sun. Look for the shady spots.

It's a full transit, and we haven't firmed up any excursions yet. I'm not too worried about the last half, when we leave Central America and are mostly at sea and moving out of the humidity up the Pacific Coast. But those days in Aruba, Cartegena, the canal itself and Costa Rica have me sweating just thinking about them.

Thanks for the tips.

Jim

It's a full transit, and we haven't firmed up any excursions yet. I'm not too worried about the last half, when we leave Central America and are mostly at sea and moving out of the humidity up the Pacific Coast. But those days in Aruba, Cartegena, the canal itself and Costa Rica have me sweating just thinking about them.

Thanks for the tips.

Jim

Ok. From my personal experience and again, weather fluctuates. Aruba was not terribly hot and humid. Cartegena was, but old town Cartegena is a nice place to see, especially if you like old churches etc. If you just grab a taxi to go to old town, you can walk around, check out a few highlights, then go back to the ship on your own schedule so you don't need to be out in the heat for long. We stopped in at the Hard Rock cafe for lunch and to sit in the air conditioning for a bit. Costa Rica is hot and humid. You can stay on the ship for the transit of the canal, and I would use the first few days of the cruise to find a good spot along the rail to check out the scenery and mechanics of the canal. Of course, if you have a balcony room, then you may have that covered. :)

Same trip, same ship, November 2012.

Hot and humid in the canal, but nowhere else was exceptionally uncomfortable.

As for taking a table to watch for hours and hours...you will get bored. But don't think for a moment that others won't do the same thing.

A hat and dark glasses would be my suggestion.

We found that walks around the ship, especially when locking in and out were most interesting and offered opportunities to be 'right there' where things were happening, rather than up high where things were far away.

This was one of the best cruises, most relaxing, we have ever done (so far). :D

We found that walks around the ship, especially when locking in and out were most interesting and offered opportunities to be 'right there' where things were happening, rather than up high where things were far away.

I agree 100%. The Panama Canal is an engineering marvel, especially considering when it was built. You won't get a full appreciation of the finer points if you do it from the buffet room. :)

The only spot where the H and H could a slight concern is Cartagena. That's only because when you are in the city and can be shut off from a breeze and you may not be able to take advantage of shade conveniently. However for the Canal, since you are not stopping, the transit won't pose any problems. In December temperatures rarely get out of the 80s and most times doesn't even really get above the mid 80s. That time of the year partly cloudy skies can be expected, so avoiding too much direct sun should not be a problem. Usually a breeze, shade or even air conditioning are easily found.

I think the reason most people find the weather in the tropics a little more challenging is they are coming from a temperate climate often times in the cool to colder months and with little or no acclimation... boom... you are in a place that is warmer and a tad more humid. No time to absorb the changes. Best advice is just don't try to run a marathon (or even a half marathon), avoid large amounts of direct sun with a hat or shade. You will be fine!

Other than you could possibly be treated to the other variety of sun in December... that's the liquid sunshine... December is normally a good time of the year in those parts of Columbia-Panama-Costa Rica.

Edited by BillB48

Use an umbrella when in the sun. Don't drink a lot of alcohol, do drink water, lemonade, seltzer, etc. The transit takes about ten hours or so. Nip into your cabin every now and then for a cool shower. Put on clean clothes, not the sweaty ones worn earlier. Buy and use those moist towelettes, very refreshing. Take a neckerchief, soak in cold water and tie around neck, repeat as needed.

Born and raised in Panama.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I especially like the one about ducking into the cabin for a quick shower, then putting on fresh clothes.

We do have a balcony, so that will work nicely as part of the mix. Wander the Promenade and viewing areas for a bit, then get cool and enjoy the view from the front porch for a while.

Jim

I clicked on your link and saw the towel. I'd never seen one but I use the neck scarf, or a version of it. I make them with the small crystals that they use for dog beds, etc. They hold moisture and you wear around the neck to cool the carotid arteries so body temp drops a bit.

Nothing truly helps when you are not used to the humidity. We found that in Cartagena, the taxi ride was so hot (several people) that the outside air was a relief!

(we were on transit in '08 and could not see too much for all the crowds on deck - we had an inside cabin. THIS time I opted for a balcony. May be far away, but at least I hope to see.)