Thanksgiving - hordes of kids?

vedettes1

For those of you who have cruised Celebrity over Thanksgiving, did it seem like a huge number of kids on board? We are thinking of Reflection next year (Western Carib out of Miami).

I've never cruised over Thanksgiving, but generally speaking whenever schools are on holiday break you can expect to see an increased number of families with children.

Our second-ever cruise was on the Connie out of San Juan over Thanksgiving and yes, there were "hordes of kids" ... unruly kids with oblivious parents and crew that did nothing about it. :mad: Never again!

This is our first cruise for Thanksgiving. I am going to stuff our 7 and 5 year old full of pumpkin pie and double espresso and let them run wild up and down the halls!!!

I will be in the spa if you need me!:D

This is our first cruise for Thanksgiving. I am going to stuff our 7 and 5 year old full of pumpkin pie and double espresso and let them run wild up and down the halls!!!

I will be in the spa if you need me!:D

The whole idea is to not let anyone know where you will be. At 5 and 7 they are old enough to fend for themselves. :D

Edited by Iamcruzin

Before everyone comes after me...It is just a joke. Our little ones have been on 5 cruises, and we always get compliments on how well they behave. I have read so many threads recently poking at the families with the kids. I see it too, that is why we are point to keep ours from interfering with anyone else's experience. On sea, land, vacation or not we will pull them out if we need to, fortunately it is a rare occurrence.

Thanksgiving is a family time, I hope there are families with kids, "hordes of them"

Edited by kbarnum

How long are families actually on holiday for ? We are on the 13 night Eclipse cruise out of Miami on the 16th November

For us in Florida we have the week of thanksgiving off. I think that is pretty standard for the States. My wife teaches, so we vacation when she and the kids are out of school. Sure doesn't help with the rates.

For those of you who have cruised Celebrity over Thanksgiving, did it seem like a huge number of kids on board? We are thinking of Reflection next year (Western Carib out of Miami).

Any cruise - 7 or less nights - you will see lots of families with kids. On cruises longer than 7 nights, not so much.

We were on the Silhouette Thanksgiving week last year and there were more kids than on a normal X cruise, but I wouldn't say there were hordes of them. If fact, we were at the pool everyday and didn't experience any of the usual problems that can arise with unsupervised children. I think you'll be fine.

Any school vacation period will have more families....we went one yr in March on Royal C for 10 days, and failed to realize Easter vac was early that yr...

Our cruise from Miami was loaded with many unsupervised children..who overwhelmed the staff & were totally out of control.....parents oblivious or rude! Although there were many wonderful families on board, the bad ones were from h_ll. Unruly, destructive and rude!

Never again!

I have yet to be on a Celebrity cruise with hoardes of kids. A few scattered here and there, but not a problem at all. In fact, very well mannered. However, we are taking a less expensive Norwegian cruise from New York next week, and I expect more families on that one. However, it returns right before Thanksgiving, so the parents will probably wait until they get a couple extra days off and do the next sailing. Plus, it's a 10-nighter, and that's too long to take kids out of school.

I would say you'll be fine....

For us in Florida we have the week of thanksgiving off. I think that is pretty standard for the States. My wife teaches, so we vacation when she and the kids are out of school. Sure doesn't help with the rates.

Wow you get the whole week off in Florida? We have always only gotten Thursday and Friday off, some years Wednesday is either an early dismissal or occasionally we get it off. I have not seen a whole week off.

Many families will take that whole week off to go away even if they only get 2-3 days off. Most families will be on 7 nights at that time, less so on longer cruises.

How long are families actually on holiday for ? We are on the 13 night Eclipse cruise out of Miami on the 16th November

Last year we did a 14 day to Hawaii out of San Fran over Thanksgiving, and there were very few children. The longer cruises don't attract as many "family's holiday with the kids" over Thanksgiving.

We are also on the Eclipse out of Miami on the 16th. Hope to see you there.

Wow you get the whole week off in Florida? We have always only gotten Thursday and Friday off, some years Wednesday is either an early dismissal or occasionally we get it off. I have not seen a whole week off.

Many families will take that whole week off to go away even if they only get 2-3 days off. Most families will be on 7 nights at that time, less so on longer cruises.

Hi, not all of Florida gets the same time off. It actually goes county

by county.....I am way up in North Florida (over 300 miles from Ft.

Lauderdale/Miami)......Dade County in Miami....I am up in Duval and for

Thanksgiving the kids get off Wed-Friday.....Monday and Tuesday

school is in session.

There are always families on Holiday Cruises though.....plenty of

parents home school these days and even if not, they pull the kids

out for those extra 2 days and go on vacation.

Edited by Lois R

We'll be on this cruise with you and not expecting a lot of kids. The other two times we've sailed over thanksgiving, we were on longer cruises and they were fine.

Lol at the posts about the 5 and 7 year olds.

Our second-ever cruise was on the Connie out of San Juan over Thanksgiving and yes, there were "hordes of kids" ... unruly kids with oblivious parents and crew that did nothing about it. :mad: Never again!

My first cruise with Celebrity was out of San Juan - it wasn't even a holiday and the ship was over run with unruly kids and teens. The crew had no control and just gave up. The ship was a dirty mess. Terrible. We now won't cruise out of San Juan for any reason.

The only holiday cruise we ever took was Solstice over New Year's -- very large groups of multi generational families on that cruise and very rude behavior. That was lesson enough for us, we now cruise on itineraries and during times when we know that there will not be large numbers of children. Of course we love to recognize that whose children are well behaved, sadly few and far between these days.

Edited by Jane2357

It may be more common in the south to get the whole week off, as we don't have to worry as much about snow days. But it still varies, and some school districts in the south still only get Wed-Fri off.

We were considering two cruises and the agent for the cruise company was able to pull up statistics on how many children were on board as of that time. That made our decision very easy to make.

Do you remember how many? I'm on one in a few weeks. Just stay out of the solarium/Persian Gardens and preferably the specialty restaurants and martini bar and we'll all be friends.

We have been on Thanksgiving cruises for the last 8 years. We usually see families which includes grandparents, parents and kids. We have never seen any unruly kids. Hope that helps......

Helps me. Thanks. Hopefully most of the kids parents' will have the sense to put them into the kids program since there is no kids pool area etc but we shall see.

We've been on 2 cruises over Thanksgiving. One was a 7nighter and the other a 10 nighter. LOTS of kids on the 7night, very few on the 10night. Would not travel again on a 7 night over Turkey day...not so much because of the kids, because the ship is just at such high capacity that everywhere seemed crowded. They even ran out of turkey in the MDR!!! :eek: We prefer to travel in quieter times, first two weeks of December, or AFTER New Years.....usually a lot less costly too!!:)

We did this Turkey Cruise on the Reflection two years ago.

There were 400 "children" on board, mostly younger ones. Very few unruly pre teens.

We had our 10 yo grand daughter with us and it was enjoyable. Though Thanksgiving day on board was anticlimactic. Once we got home we made our own turkey.

It was remarkable there was no illness on board, and we walked off healthy. That cruise was the last time we did not get sick during or after a Celebrity cruise.