What if this Diamond Lounge change happened...

No, I disagree that it seems the only ones who want perks removed from others are Diamond Plus. To the best of my knowledge, so far D+ have only been booted from the CL on two ships.

And as I see it, your wording is incorrect.

The D+ members kept the lounge, it was just renamed to the Diamond Lounge. The only thing that was lost as a benefit was hot made to order lunch, with beer/wine. Which is NOT a benefit that we should have been getting anyway.

Suite members were moved to their own lounge.

Diamond members were moved from the D Lounge (which we preferred) to the old CL on deck 10/11.

Suites and D members were booted physically, D+ by name only.

Given the benefits between D and D+, it's logical that given a huge lounge that they can be in the same place. The rest of the extra perks are not lounge related anyway.

And as I see it, your wording is incorrect.

The D+ members kept the lounge, it was just renamed to the Diamond Lounge. The only thing that was lost as a benefit was hot made to order lunch, with beer/wine. Which is NOT a benefit that we should have been getting anyway.

Suite members were moved to their own lounge.

Diamond members were moved from the D Lounge (which we preferred) to the old CL on deck 10/11.

Suites and D members were booted physically, D+ by name only.

Given the benefits between D and D+, it's logical that given a huge lounge that they can be in the same place. The rest of the extra perks are not lounge related anyway.

I follow that but the larger point was it only happened on two ships so far.

I follow that but the larger point was it only happened on two ships so far.

Well, my point is that on those two ships, D+ member didn't get booted from anything. The sign on the door changed.

Suites and Diamonds got booted.

Your original post implies that D+ members lost something significant. We didn't, as I see it.

Well, my point is that on those two ships, D+ member didn't get booted from anything. The sign on the door changed.

Your original post implies that D+ members lost something significant. We didn't, as I see it.

OK. That wasn't my intention. This thread is wearing me out. Happy sailing.

If they already hold cocktail hour in alternate venues (because most DL's are way undersized for nightly cocktail parties), then what benefit would there be to closing the lounge to Diamond 24 X 7?

Seems the only ones who want perks removed from others are Diamond Plus, who admittedly got a bit of the shaft with removal of one out of two lounges. But, honestly, look for ways to maintain and enhance the benefit, not think out reasons to give RCI to eliminate it.

Some time ago RCCL announced that they would no longer have overflow lounges but as you point out that is not the case. It seems, at least at this point, that RCCL is attempting to keep everyone happy. Maybe they can come up with some palatable solution but it seems that that staffing and alcohol costs, lost alcohol sales, projected D and D+ membership increases, space utilized for events all enter into the equation.

I have not heard any rumors about when or what changes are on the horizon. Plenty of speculation - but no real rumors. Perhaps some of the mega cruisers have heard something from someone high enough up in the company to be meaningful but if there is one good thing to be said about Corporate RCCL Miami it is that they are very good about keeping secrets until they are ready to release them. Until then, let the speculation game continue.

I really don't see any major cutbacks in our benefits. Especially if you look at their earnings recently, RCCL is actually performing very well, beating expectations, because they took care of the brand producing many loyal members like us, to the point they can price their cruises higher than Carnaval or NCL, did away with last minute price drops, and still continue to sell!!

Deep cutbacks are usually made if a company is struggling...

RCCL knows that by keeping us loyal members happy, we will continue to sail with them, providing steady stream of revenues.

So it's unlikely that they will do something drastic like completely taking away the lounge benefit of Diamond members that will hurt their strong brand equity that they have built over the years with us.

If the lounge gets more and more crowded as Diamond members grow, they will sure think of something to keep everyone happy. Recently they have introduced the drink coupons as a work around to show that they are constantly innovating to de-congest the lounge. Previously they kicked out Diamonds from the CL but made up by initially doing a nightly Diamond event, then eventually gradually rolling out new Diamond lounges from ship to ship as they undergo revitalization to completely replace the CL. Recall that Voyager of the Seas got a new Diamond lounge only in Oct last year.

I'm sure more innovations will follow to fine tune our benefits to adapt to the changing times.....

They will always find a way.

Edited by roquejo

You also emphatically stated as a matter of fact that Quantum would debut with no diamond lounge. Just saying, you might want to switch your crystal ball for some tarot cards or palm reading lessons ;)

1. RC posted deck plans at one point that did not have a Diamond Lounge on them. That is all that I posted about.

2. The quoted post is a JOKE, as in, "Let me consult my crystal ball........hmmmm..............hmmmmm.........how about June 2016?"

D+,Pinnacle, and Suite guests are enjoying the CL on Anthem as we speak....:)

Thank you. Going on Anthem on 11/30 so maybe I will get a peek at the CL before D+'s are removed (so much nicer than "kicked out"). I like having a quiet place to go during the day so I appreciate the lounges. I also like that if the coffee machine in the DL is broken than there is the option of going to the CL for coffee.

When we first started sailing regularly with RC we were "cubic zirconias" - elite on Celebrity so enjoyed the diamond benefits. I think we had 2 cruises before changes were made. So whatever changes are made now we will be fine. I still think RC has one of the best loyalty programs. Katherine

The fact this thread had almost 5,000 views in just a few days is an indication how important the Diamond Lounge is to we cruisers. Be sure to let the company know how much you enjoy DL access when completing your cruise survey. We need the company to know there would be repercussions if D, D+ lounge disappeared. As long as RCCL is loyal to me, I'll be loyal to RCCL.

The fact this thread had almost 5,000 views in just a few days is an indication how important the Diamond Lounge is to we cruisers. Be sure to let the company know how much you enjoy DL access when completing your cruise survey. We need the company to know there would be repercussions if D, D+ lounge disappeared. As long as RCCL is loyal to me, I'll be loyal to RCCL.

Really, around 8 posters have over half of the post

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=2276166

Just my 2 cents:

It is already happening on 4 ships (Quantum, Anthem, Oasis, Allure) (D+ and D in the Diamond Club) and then a Suite lounge that also invites Pinnacles. The Sky hasn't started to fall yet. Do I see more changes like that coming - Yes. Liberty has already announced that it will have a Suite Lounge when the current concierge lounge is closed.

This is a perk that RCCL offers that outside of Celebrity no one else does. Eventually if a change is made and there are too many complaints, they reserve the right to cancel the perk all together - the lounges, the coupons, etc.

Just remember the Concierge Lounges on the Voyager class, which were the first ones, were originally designed for Suite Guests, and at the time Diamond Members were let in (At the time Diamond was the highest tier). Eventually due to overcrowding at the time, it lead to Diamond Clubs being put on the ships and Diamond members no longer having the perk the Concierge Lounge. If they are giving you something free, be happy with it!!

This rumor has been going on since late 2011, yes right after they created Pinnacle. I remember sitting in the OLD Concierge Lounge (Deck 8) of the Enchantment discussing it, and everyone was convinced that it was going to change the end of 2011. Then the next fall into late 2012 people were convinced by unsubstantiated rumors it was going to happen then, and same with the end of 13, and the end of 2014.. It got to the point people were saying announcements would be made on a certain date which in every case came and went. Will something be announced someday, well probably but who knows when. My point - don't worry and not have a good time about something we have no control over!

Whoops... that was a typo, and to be honest not quite sure why I put it in there. Quantum and Anthem still have a Concierge Lounge for Suites, and Diamond plus up and a Diamond Club as well. Perhaps proofreading is in order ;)

But the D+ got booted from what you called a superior DL

I wouldn't stop sailing RC so no backlash for me.

Thank you. Going on Anthem on 11/30 so maybe I will get a peek at the CL before D+'s are removed (so much nicer than "kicked out"). I like having a quiet place to go during the day so I appreciate the lounges. I also like that if the coffee machine in the DL is broken than there is the option of going to the CL for coffee.

When we first started sailing regularly with RC we were "cubic zirconias" - elite on Celebrity so enjoyed the diamond benefits. I think we had 2 cruises before changes were made. So whatever changes are made now we will be fine. I still think RC has one of the best loyalty programs. Katherine

The CL on the Q class is worth the long walk down the corridor. The view from the aft of the ship is amazing! Definitely take a peek!

Let me guess... all D+ are in favor. :rolleyes:

As a D member, DW & I look forward to the DL. Coffee in the morning, just sitting and relaxing during the day, early look at the MDR menus, evening social hours etc...

Will be D+ in 2017, but would not want to see other loyals loose the DL benefit, as I know many who are trying to make D so they can use the lounge. But it would take them a very long time to make D+ if at all.

Taking away the DL from D is not moving the goal post, it's removing the goal post. For many, becoming D is difficult and D+ is no more attainable than Pinnacle.

FWIW, I know that all D+ are not really in favor.

You got it. I was Diamond back when we used to get in the Concierge Lounges, when that was the only lounge. In 2009 Diamonds got the boot and after an uproar they ended up getting a Diamond "event" that then turned into the Diamond Lounges. As soon as they announced the Diamond lounges on each ship I figured they would eventually boot the Diamonds out again (I was D+ by then). With the 3 drinks on the seapass and the availability of drink packages the writing is on the wall. D will get the boot again.

They keep holding out the carrot and then pulling the tablecloth out from beneath you every few years while you are enjoying that carrot. Kind of like the stock market really. We just buy the drink packages and enjoy ourselves anywhere on the ship. The top one includes all the specialty coffees as well. Easy fix.

What D's and D+ should be asking for is a drink package discount. Come on Royal Caribbean it's about time for that drink package discount!

You got it. I was Diamond back when we used to get in the Concierge Lounges, when that was the only lounge. In 2009 Diamonds got the boot and after an uproar they ended up getting a Diamond "event" that then turned into the Diamond Lounges. As soon as they announced the Diamond lounges on each ship I figured they would eventually boot the Diamonds out again (I was D+ by then). With the 3 drinks on the seapass and the availability of drink packages the writing is on the wall. D will get the boot again.

They keep holding out the carrot and then pulling the tablecloth out from beneath you every few years while you are enjoying that carrot. Kind of like the stock market really. We just buy the drink packages and enjoy ourselves anywhere on the ship. The top one includes all the specialty coffees as well. Easy fix.

What D's and D+ should be asking for is a drink package discount. Come on Royal Caribbean it's about time for that drink package discount!

I started a thread that asked what perk C&A members would like to see added and a drink package discount by level was one of the most requested.

I started a thread that asked what perk C&A members would like to see added and a drink package discount by level was one of the most requested.

I suggested that back when the drink packages came out. We hardly used either lounge because of the limited cocktail menus but I've kind of knuckled under since the new SL on the Oasis Class.

the fact this thread had almost 5,000 views in just a few days is an indication how important the diamond lounge is to we cruisers. Be sure to let the company know how much you enjoy dl access when completing your cruise survey. We need the company to know there would be repercussions if d, d+ lounge disappeared. As long as rccl is loyal to me, i'll be loyal to rccl.

right on-----right on-----right on-----!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be sure to let the company know how much you enjoy DL access when completing your cruise survey. We need the company to know there would be repercussions if D, D+ lounge disappeared. As long as RCCL is loyal to me, I'll be loyal to RCCL.

I want to think that if they do change, I don't think there will be that much of a fallout to even effect business. New cruisers is what they want to bring in to the fold and they have so many that will continue the chase.

Who would really stop cruising Royal and give up all you have earned if its just a room you've lost?? Reality is probably not enough to put an ounce of concern at corporate I'm thinking.

The uproar from the diamonds when they were removed from the CL would make you think ships were going to sail half empty. That was not the issue and most everyone continued to chase the next carrot.

I doubt that will happen. It's a pretty good marketing tool to keep people under the Royal umbrella. It gives people like me who don't have a problem sailing other lines an incentive to book Celebrity instead of Princess or Holland.

Agreed. I am Diamond on RCI due to my Celebrity status. I don't need to "earn" anything! Now, if only Carnival would practice the same across their lines based on my Cunard status! :cool:

Agreed. I am Diamond on RCI due to my Celebrity status. I don't need to "earn" anything! Now, if only Carnival would practice the same across their lines based on my Cunard status! :cool:

So what does Royal need to do to 'earn' your business