Frank Del Rio: " . . . the emphasis will continue to be push prices up . . .

mianmike

I don't think it will look unfinished, it is not like they are going to change things that drastically. If they add new dishes, flatware or napkins, I really don't think anyone will really notice, other than those that already cruise on NCL and they will probably enjoy an upgrade, if they notice at all. I think most will appreciate the upgraded food in the MDR and specialty restaurants and not see that as anything other than NCL is changing their menus.

As I've said, it is going to take a long time and a lot of money in advertising to change the preconceived notion that NCL is a budget line. I don't think those at Celebrity are going to choose NCL as their line of choice, they might, like me, cruise with them also (but I think most would go to Royal Caribbean before they go over to NCL), but I don't think that cruiser will ever change over to NCL, even with the upgrades NCL is planning. Also, I don't think NCL will have hiccups at every turn as they try to improve thing, I think the only issue will be those long time NCL cruisers that don't want "their line" to change and have issues with the changes or those real budget cruisers who have issues with some of the charges.

It is a huge uphill battle, that is for sure. The customers sailing now are paying higher prices at least in part to make NCL what it is going to be. Right now when I am pricing cruises from late 2016 into 2017 it comes in CCL, RCCL and NCL, with CCL being the lowest. I do hope they pull it off because I am not sure NCL would survive if they fail.

After all, does one choose Celebrity, a cruise line that is already humming along or do they choose NCL, a cruise line that is having hiccups as they try to fine tune everything?

Do you feel that most NCL passengers compare NCL to Celebrity? IMO, NCL's direct competition is Royal Caribbean and Carnival while Celebrity's is Princess and Holland America. Perhaps NCL passengers are leaving NCL for Celebrity just as some Celebrity and HAL passengers are switching to Oceania and Azamara as they feel that there has been too many cost-cutting issues on their cruise lines.

I think that there will always be entry level cruisers that will find NCL, Carnival and Royal Caribbean to be just fine - even with increased costs. I also want to mention that Oceania cruisers are not complaining about cut-backs (perceived or real) and are seeing the same price increases that other cruise passengers are seeing. On the other hand, some Regent customers have been priced out of the luxury market and are trying Oceania, Azamara and Viking Ocean. Lastly, Regent is seeing more younger cruisers that either prefer cruising without children or just want to be in a more laid back environment. The cruising public have so many choices which, IMO, is good since we are all different.

Admittedly, before Apollo/NCHL purchased Regent and Oceania, I did perceive NCL as being the bottom of the pack and am not really sure why I had that perception. My perception is improving in terms of the ships, service and food but not so much the passengers. Unfortunately, the belittling and anger that seems to be unending on the NCL board is a bit of a put off for anyone considering NCL. We see plenty of disagreements on the Regent board but the arguments are generally not the same as what I'm seeing here.

Edited by Travelcat2

What they did with the redeployment was newsworthy. How they compensated displaced passengers was evidently not. And they are the only line who has on a massive scale, sold and advertised cruises up till the day before redeployment, taken customers $, and then told them the following day they can no longer have what they just bought but can have something similar for twice the price.
Obviously they didn't think it was news worth and they are the one who decides what is important enough to report, not you or not me. Sorry, it happened to you, but I'm at the looking on the bright side, there are a lot of new itineraries for those who have had an issue cruising the same itineraries over and over again, not to mention not everyone was left in your position having to pay twice the price. A cruise line has to evolve to stay in business. Edited by NLH Arizona

Obviously they didn't think it was news worth and they are the one who decides what is important enough to report, not you or not me. Sorry, it happened to you, but I'm at the looking on the bright side, there are a lot of new itineraries for those who have had an issue cruising the same itineraries over and over again, not to mention not everyone was left in your position having to pay twice the price. A cruise line has to evolve to stay in business.

A cruise line does need to evolve to stay in business and the new itineraries, refurbished ships, better food quality are all great ways to do it. I totally understand that in order to deliver a better product prices will need to be raised. I'm not against any of that. It's how it's been done that I have a problem with. I'm by no means the only one who objected to the way I was sold a cruise and then told if I wanted a similar date and similar sailing I would have to pay twice the price. Most would have a really big problem with that. People have a big problem with needing to pay a few extra $ for a meal that was previously included or a room service fee of a couple $ that was not in place when they purchased their cruise. Can you even imagine the problem they would have if collectively NCL did to many, not all, of the redeployment passengers?

A cruise line does need to evolve to stay in business and the new itineraries, refurbished ships, better food quality are all great ways to do it. I totally understand that in order to deliver a better product prices will need to be raised. I'm not against any of that. It's how it's been done that I have a problem with. I'm by no means the only one who objected to the way I was sold a cruise and then told if I wanted a similar date and similar sailing I would have to pay twice the price. Most would have a really big problem with that. People have a big problem with needing to pay a few extra $ for a meal that was previously included or a room service fee of a couple $ that was not in place when they purchased their cruise. Can you even imagine the problem they would have if collectively NCL did to many, not all, of the redeployment passengers?
I would guess that they wanted to announce all the changes at one time. Do you know when the last contract was signed for the new ports? Unless we have all the information there is no way of know if the contracts were signed when they were selling the cruises or not.

I read all the posts and many didn't have the same issue you did with having to pay twice as much for a cruise. Where they unhappy, yes, I would have been unhappy as well and I would have decided to do one of the following: If I felt I was treated illegally by NCL, then I would go to an attorney. If I felt I was not treated illegally by NCL, I would write a letter to the CEO outlining my issues and making whatever demands I felt fair and if nothing came of either, I would just drop it and decide if I would ever cruise on NCL again.

Some people have a big problem paying for room service, but many have reported in their reviews that they didn't mind paying for it. People are different and some like some things and some don't. If one has an issue paying the room service charge, no one is forcing them to order room service.

If I remember correctly, you were contacting the BBB with regard to your issue, what was their response and advice to you?

I would guess that they wanted to announce all the changes at one time. Do you know when the last contract was signed for the new ports? Unless we have all the information there is no way of know if the contracts were signed when they were selling the cruises or not.

I read all the posts and many didn't have the same issue you did with having to pay twice as much for a cruise. Where they unhappy, yes, I would have been unhappy as well and I would have decided to do one of the following: If I felt I was treated illegally by NCL, then I would go to an attorney. If I felt I was not treated illegally by NCL, I would write a letter to the CEO outlining my issues and making whatever demands I felt fair and if nothing came of either, I would just drop it and decide if I would ever cruise on NCL again.

Some people have a big problem paying for room service, but many have reported in their reviews that they didn't mind paying for it. People are different and some like some things and some don't. If one has an issue paying the room service charge, no one is forcing them to order room service.

If I remember correctly, you were contacting the BBB with regard to your issue, what was their response and advice to you?

On a FB thread about the Epic Transatlantic, one travel agent said they found out the end of June that Epic would be coming back and homeporting in Port Canaveral. The mess and all of the changes were announced in August.

There are people who booked cruises on Friday and the following Monday received the notification of the change. Clearly they knew what they were doing and continued to sell cruises that they knew would never sail.

I feel for those people. I had mine messed up too, but was able to reach a satisfactory change with them. I was one of the lucky ones.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

On a FB thread about the Epic Transatlantic, one travel agent said they found out the end of June that Epic would be coming back and homeporting in Port Canaveral. The mess and all of the changes were announced in August.

There are people who booked cruises on Friday and the following Monday received the notification of the change. Clearly they knew what they were doing and continued to sell cruises that they knew would never sail.

I feel for those people. I had mine messed up too, but was able to reach a satisfactory change with them. I was one of the lucky ones.

Was the Epic the only ship involved in the changes? I would guess that they wanted to announce all the changes at one time. Do you know when the last contract was signed for the new ports? Unless we have all the information there is no way of know if the contracts were signed when they were selling the cruises or not.

As I said, I'm sorry that it happened to the poster and if you or she feel you were treated illegally, I would contact an attorney.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Was the Epic the only ship involved in the changes? I would guess that they wanted to announce all the changes at one time. Do you know when the last contract was signed for the new ports? Unless we have all the information there is no way of know if the contracts were signed when they were selling the cruises or not.

Announcing all of the changes at once is not something the current leadership has ever done.

Actually this was the first and only announcement of a change they've ever made! LOL!

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Announcing all of the changes at once is not something the current leadership has ever done.
Well, obviously they did it this time with regard to the new deployments.

Again, if you feel your were treated illegally, contact an attorney.

Not quite sure what you want me to say. I've said I was sorry for the OP and I said I would be unhappy if it happened to me.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Well, obviously they did it this time with regard to the new deployments.

Again, if you feel your were treated illegally, contact an attorney.

Sometimes people just want to talk, to share information and haven't asked for advice. Doesn't mean they can't discuss it, and share it. LWA strikes again.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Sometimes people just want to talk, to share information and haven't asked for advice. Doesn't mean they can't discuss it, and share it. LWA strikes again.
Yes, there are some that do just want to share and discuss and then there are others who.....

Have a great night.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I did contact the BBB. They're a resolution option however has no actual authority to enforce anything. Kathryn Tannon from Ncl's resolution department is the person I've been dealing with on this issue for months. She responded and contends that offering me price protect for a similar sailing date would be like granting me a complementary upgrade and said this is not forthcoming.

Since I got nowhere with ms. Tannon I have since turned it into the Florida AG. They seem to be much more interested in investigating my allegations of bait and switch. It's currently under investigation for this with the consumer fraud department and also has been turned into the department of agriculture, I have no idea why, but also the ftc. Nothing really else yet except requests for copies of my booking emails, date of sale which was August 1st. Cancellation letter from NCL on August 3rd and my new invoice on comparative dates. Who knows if anything will come of it.

Bottom line is that yes NCL should raise prices if they want to provide a better product. If redeployment is going to benefit their bottom line that's great too. Just don't sell me something one day and take it away the next day and tell me I now need to pay more for a similar product. Their contract does not superseded Florida law. I wanted NCL to step up and do the right thing on their own. They would not. Now it's up to the Florida AG and the FTC to determine who is right.

I thought long and hard about this prior to going to the bbb and AG. I have never done that before and feel I am a reasonable person not asking for a free handout. In the end I did what I felt the reasonable consumer would do.

I did contact the BBB. They're a resolution option however has no actual authority to enforce anything. Kathryn Tannon from Ncl's resolution department is the person I've been dealing with on this issue for months. She responded and contends that offering me price protect for a similar sailing date would be like granting me a complementary upgrade and said this is not forthcoming.

Since I got nowhere with ms. Tannon I have since turned it into the Florida AG. They seem to be much more interested in investigating my allegations of bait and switch. It's currently under investigation for this with the consumer fraud department and also has been turned into the department of agriculture, I have no idea why, but also the ftc. Nothing really else yet except requests for copies of my booking emails, date of sale which was August 1st. Cancellation letter from NCL on August 3rd and my new invoice on comparative dates. Who knows if anything will come of it.

Bottom line is that yes NCL should raise prices if they want to provide a better product. If redeployment is going to benefit their bottom line that's great too. Just don't sell me something one day and take it away the next day and tell me I now need to pay more for a similar product. Their contract does not superseded Florida law. I wanted NCL to step up and do the right thing on their own. They would not. Now it's up to the Florida AG and the FTC to determine who is right.

I thought long and hard about this prior to going to the bbb and AG. I have never done that before and feel I am a reasonable person not asking for a free handout. In the end I did what I felt the reasonable consumer would do.

Good luck and, if it means anything, I think you are doing the right thing.

Do you feel that most NCL passengers compare NCL to Celebrity? IMO, NCL's direct competition is Royal Caribbean and Carnival while Celebrity's is Princess and Holland America. Perhaps NCL passengers are leaving NCL for Celebrity just as some Celebrity and HAL passengers are switching to Oceania and Azamara as they feel that there has been too many cost-cutting issues on their cruise lines.

I think that there will always be entry level cruisers that will find NCL, Carnival and Royal Caribbean to be just fine - even with increased costs. I also want to mention that Oceania cruisers are not complaining about cut-backs (perceived or real) and are seeing the same price increases that other cruise passengers are seeing. On the other hand, some Regent customers have been priced out of the luxury market and are trying Oceania, Azamara and Viking Ocean. Lastly, Regent is seeing more younger cruisers that either prefer cruising without children or just want to be in a more laid back environment. The cruising public have so many choices which, IMO, is good since we are all different.

Admittedly, before Apollo/NCHL purchased Regent and Oceania, I did perceive NCL as being the bottom of the pack and am not really sure why I had that perception. My perception is improving in terms of the ships, service and food but not so much the passengers. Unfortunately, the belittling and anger that seems to be unending on the NCL board is a bit of a put off for anyone considering NCL. We see plenty of disagreements on the Regent board but the arguments are generally not the same as what I'm seeing here.

Before Del Rio yes, RCCL and CCL were relatively on par with NCL but Del Rio wants to move NCL up on the cruise line food chain and we discussing if it were raised to be on par with Celebrity. No matter where they want NCL to end up they have a long row to hoe to get there.

Yes. The title of this particular thread is about raising prices. Can't think of a more appropriate thread to post my experience, concerns and predicament.

NCL has decided to raise prices. How they did it with the redeployment is of great pertinence.

NCL did nothing except determine my haven suite could be sold to someone else for a considerable amount more. They should have let me book a similar date for a replacement but they also decided that was not going to be profitable enough for them. Yes that's a problem for me and if they did it to everyone else currently booked it would be a really big problem.

How customers were treated is of great significance when discussing how a company goes about making more $.

I think many others would like to know what can happen if your cruise is cancelled. I was easily able to find out the other lines do not treat cancelled passengers as poorly as NCL does.

Good luck and, if it means anything, I think you are doing the right thing.

Thanks. I'm not in the mode to seek changes of an industry. Just a mom and a wife who loves to travel, get good deals and enjoy vacations. When I saw that Haven spa suite for that price I was ecstatic. The perks were incredible too!

I am a bargain hunter when it comes to travel. Have to be with two kids in college now. We are still able to fly transatlantic in first or business because I plan ahead for mileage fares.

I see no harm in my travel planning ahead for the best deals and only wanted NCL to hold their end of the bargain. I would love it for NCL to read my posts, realize I'm not just giving up and just simply offer me a price protect alternative for the date I want. I have no desire to be going through the AG BBB and department of agriculture. It was a last resort to do so. Kim

The NCL forum is so not like the actual NCL onboard experience - The people onboard are actually rational, nice and considerate or they have to be on the surface, because someone might confront them or move away from them regarding their rudeness. I too was put off by the this forum negativity to point I was going to cancel my reservation last year but I'm glad I listen to my own gut instinct and went - I had a great time despite illness.

Heck, most NCL passengers don't even visit the forum or even know this website exist - so they really don't care or know what goes on here. Typical meet & greet on NCL has like 30-200 posters out of 2000-4000 passengers; depending on how active the roll call is, not the actual itinerary.

The thing is - majority of same posters that constant complained about them this year were doing the same thing when Sheehan was still it. And they still are sailing on it with Del Rio / Stuart running the show now and will cruise with them while whining about NCL when the future CEO takes control. Deep down they want to discourage other passengers from sailing on NCL for whatever reason but, of course, majority of the those people need to located Cruise Critic 1st. :o (Remember, Cruise Critic as a whole is extremely small population of the cruising public.)

So, if you want to try NCL - go ahead and take both reviews (good & bad) with a grain of salt. Pay special attention to stuff that actual are an issue to you and whomever is traveling - sometimes stuff that being said in a review / post as an afterthought is actually a major issue. Likewise something that is bring up as major problem, is an non-issue to you. Enjoy your trip, if you ever do cruise with NCL or not.:)

Just as you say that people are put off on trying NCL because of the anger on the boards is how my husband and I feel about trying (or should I say "not" trying Oceania. We see the rude remarks made about the type of people sailing on NCL by people whom have more than likely never sailed on NCL.

Automatically assuming we are all low class, unintelligent, backwards cap wearing people who don't know how to spell "manners", much less use them. Judging only by what you see by a handful on these boards. So it would be no different than me saying I don't want to sail Oceania because judging by remarks on Oceania there are a few people that would probably drown if it ever rained and I have no desire to cruise with that type.

One thing I haven't really heard much talk about, is the idea that FDR sees NCL as a back-up for Oceania & Regent.

That is, rather than seeing NCL as a gateway drug into the higher-end brands, it's instead perceived as a stop-gap for the existing high-end guests.

Many of those high-end guests have kids, and grand-kids who would enjoy the NCL mega-ship attributes, but until now the high-end guests wouldn't have necessarily felt at home.

Now FDR can say to them: here's luxury when you want it, and here's something similar when you want to hang out with the family.

That describes me almost perfectly. Not so much for the kids and grand-kids (who already cruise almost as much as we do), although that could happen, but because as we age, our income gets a little tighter and our cruise budget shrinks. We have on more epic 180 day around-the-world cruise starting in about 7 weeks, but that's a once-in-a-lifetime present to ourselves for our 50th anniversary and 75th birthdays. We dipped well into our capital assets to pay for that, and obviously we can't continue that.

But, we love to cruise and don't want to stop. Jackie (TravelCat2) once said if she can't cruise the premium or luxury lines, she wouldn't cruise. To me, that's cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Oceania ships are 700 to 1250 passengers, have relaxed casual dress codes and no formal nights, are completely open seating in restaurants, have a restrictive smoking rule, have every-moving and often exotic destinations, fabulous beds and even more fabulous food.

NCL Freestyle is relaxed casual dress, no formal nights, completely open seating in restaurants, are moderately restrictive about smoking (except for the casinos, and we don't use those), are widening their destinations (FDR doesn't care much for "milk runs"), improving their food and will likely improve their beds during the upcoming drydocks. NCL's older ships cluster around 2400 to 2800 guests, and while that's much larger than we like, we find we can tolerate it. We'll never sail on the new, mega size ships.

In a nutshell, NCL is more like Oceania in the things that matter to us than any other budget cruise line. We started to cruise NCL in 2010 and continued in 2013, long before the merger. We're no Platinum, and will be sailing on Pearl next week. We're breaking a couple of our NCL rules on that cruise -- it's over a holiday, so there are likely to be more kids (we generally only book NCL when school is in session), it's at least partially in the more popular western Caribbean region (we try to book onoy out of the country). It does fit one of our "rules", it's an 11 day cruise, somewhat longer than the typical NCL cruise.

Of course, now that our favorite cruise line CEO, FDR, is in charge of NCL, we're thrilled by what we know is coming after almost 10 years with Oceania.

We're trying to pick NCL cruises more like Oceania -- foreign itineraries, longer cruises, fewer kids and less chance of obnoxious behavior. In our experience so far, the demographic on these types of cruises is entirely unlike the typical NCL demographic on shorter milk runs to the Caribbean during school vacations; it's more people like us.

We handle the nickel-and-diming in the easiest way possible -- we don't use any of those services or pay any of those costs. We don't use room service, we don't dine in specialty restaurants, we don't drink, and on our upcoming Pearl cruise, we were offered -- and chose -- free prepaid DSC. The only possible charges we will have will be a soda card for me (I'm an addicted 75 year old :rolleyes:), maybe a little internet, and excursions -- the exact same charges we make on Oceania.

We first sailed NCL with limited expectations, based on the limited price - and they exceeded those expectations. We now look forward to NCL voyages and will be buying another FCC on this cruise.

That describes me almost perfectly. Not so much for the kids and grand-kids (who already cruise almost as much as we do), although that could happen, but because as we age, our income gets a little tighter and our cruise budget shrinks. We have on more epic 180 day around-the-world cruise starting in about 7 weeks, but that's a once-in-a-lifetime present to ourselves for our 50th anniversary and 75th birthdays. We dipped well into our capital assets to pay for that, and obviously we can't continue that.

But, we love to cruise and don't want to stop. Jackie (TravelCat2) once said if she can't cruise the premium or luxury lines, she wouldn't cruise. To me, that's cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Oceania ships are 700 to 1250 passengers, have relaxed casual dress codes and no formal nights, are completely open seating in restaurants, have a restrictive smoking rule, have every-moving and often exotic destinations, fabulous beds and even more fabulous food.

NCL Freestyle is relaxed casual dress, no formal nights, completely open seating in restaurants, are moderately restrictive about smoking (except for the casinos, and we don't use those), are widening their destinations (FDR doesn't care much for "milk runs"), improving their food and will likely improve their beds during the upcoming drydocks. NCL's older ships cluster around 2400 to 2800 guests, and while that's much larger than we like, we find we can tolerate it. We'll never sail on the new, mega size ships.

In a nutshell, NCL is more like Oceania in the things that matter to us than any other budget cruise line. We started to cruise NCL in 2010 and continued in 2013, long before the merger. We're no Platinum, and will be sailing on Pearl next week. We're breaking a couple of our NCL rules on that cruise -- it's over a holiday, so there are likely to be more kids (we generally only book NCL when school is in session), it's at least partially in the more popular western Caribbean region (we try to book onoy out of the country). It does fit one of our "rules", it's an 11 day cruise, somewhat longer than the typical NCL cruise.

Of course, now that our favorite cruise line CEO, FDR, is in charge of NCL, we're thrilled by what we know is coming after almost 10 years with Oceania.

We're trying to pick NCL cruises more like Oceania -- foreign itineraries, longer cruises, fewer kids and less chance of obnoxious behavior. In our experience so far, the demographic on these types of cruises is entirely unlike the typical NCL demographic on shorter milk runs to the Caribbean during school vacations; it's more people like us.

We handle the nickel-and-diming in the easiest way possible -- we don't use any of those services or pay any of those costs. We don't use room service, we don't dine in specialty restaurants, we don't drink, and on our upcoming Pearl cruise, we were offered -- and chose -- free prepaid DSC. The only possible charges we will have will be a soda card for me (I'm an addicted 75 year old :rolleyes:), maybe a little internet, and excursions -- the exact same charges we make on Oceania.

We first sailed NCL with limited expectations, based on the limited price - and they exceeded those expectations. We now look forward to NCL voyages and will be buying another FCC on this cruise.

My husband's first cruise was last year. We did an 11 day Southern Caribbean on the Pearl. Took years for me to convince him to try it. His reply was that had he wanted to be on a ship he would have joined the Navy instead of the Air Force, which he spent 22 years in.

We leave in 3 weeks on his second and my third cruise. He loved the Pearl and since neither one of us have any desire to cruise on the big new ships we chose to cruise on the Spirit while it's here in the states.

I hope you enjoy the Pearl as much as we did.

IWe're no Platinum, and will be sailing on Pearl next week. We're breaking a couple of our NCL rules on that cruise -- it's over a holiday, so there are likely to be more kids (we generally only book NCL when school is in session), it's at least partially in the more popular western Caribbean region (we try to book onoy out of the country). It does fit one of our "rules", it's an 11 day cruise, somewhat longer than the typical NCL cruise.

I did this same cruise last year and much to my surprise, there were not that many children and the ones I ran into were a pleasure. I guess because it was 11 days. Love the Pearl, the crew is amazing.

The NCL forum is so not like the actual NCL onboard experience - The people onboard are actually rational, nice and considerate or they have to be on the surface, because someone might confront them or move away from them regarding their rudeness. I too was put off by the this forum negativity to point I was going to cancel my reservation last year but I'm glad I listen to my own gut instinct and went - I had a great time despite illness.

Heck, most NCL passengers don't even visit the forum or even know this website exist - so they really don't care or know what goes on here. Typical meet & greet on NCL has like 30-200 posters out of 2000-4000 passengers; depending on how active the roll call is, not the actual itinerary.

The thing is - majority of same posters that constant complained about them this year were doing the same thing when Sheehan was still it. And they still are sailing on it with Del Rio / Stuart running the show now and will cruise with them while whining about NCL when the future CEO takes control. Deep down they want to discourage other passengers from sailing on NCL for whatever reason but, of course, majority of the those people need to located Cruise Critic 1st. :o (Remember, Cruise Critic as a whole is extremely small population of the cruising public.)

So, if you want to try NCL - go ahead and take both reviews (good & bad) with a grain of salt. Pay special attention to stuff that actual are an issue to you and whomever is traveling - sometimes stuff that being said in a review / post as an afterthought is actually a major issue. Likewise something that is bring up as major problem, is an non-issue to you. Enjoy your trip, if you ever do cruise with NCL or not.:)

I know you like to talk about all things Kevin Sheehan and how people complained when he started, but the reality is that most of those you label as complainers and whiners were actually NCL cheerleaders before all of the craziness started.

I was even here in the days of Colin Vietch.You wouldn't know that, since you joined these boards a year ago, and have a whopping one cruise under your belt.

We're still here because there are still many good things about NCL that keep us here. There's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing changes and not blindly accepting them as the best thing that ever happened.

Most of us realize that raising prices without improving the product is no way to raise your cruiseline into a higher status. Even FDR is starting to realize that with his fire sales that he swore he would not do.

Increase prices AND improve the product is the way to go. New linens and crystal won't cut it. How about bringing your staffing levels at least back up to where they were last year, start looking after your staff so that they are as happy as they were, allow your venues to actually be able to serve at capacity, stock your ships properly so you don't run out of wine/beer/food on day 3. Those are the basics, and hopefully they have seen the errors of their ways and are ready to correct them and head in the right direction.

I just got off of the Escape, and in spite of some of the worst issues I've ever seen in my 26 NCL cruises, I still had a great time. Reading the reviews on FB by the group who posted regularly for well over a year with their excitement barely contained, NCL has lost some great people for good.

There is a lot of work to be done to restore that, let alone trying to climb up the ranks to be a Celebrity equivalent.

Yes, there are some that do just want to share and discuss and then there are others who.....

Have a great night.

Agree: I understand people being upset, but annoncing the changes all at once seemed to me to be a good, not bad idea.

Yes, some of us do enjoy sharing and discussing. That is what these boards are all about, but you are going to get a few that think discussing and griping are the same thing. I with you on this one.

Hi Don - yes, I did say that but not because I feel that mainstream passengers wear their caps backwards or the passengers are "less than" luxury cruisers. We really do not want to sail on large ships (Oceania's Riviera was a bit large for us) and prefer to sail with few, if any, children (been there - done that). While I do not want to go on a rant about children, I'll just say that children today are given more freedom to "be themselves" (i.e. yelling, running around the ship, playing with the elevators, etc.), without repercussions - not even a reminder that their behavior is not acceptable.

We did briefly consider sailing on NCL but was put off by the boards and also am not a fan of "class oriented" cruising.

We love cruising but also love land travel (which we did for a long time before we started cruising).

There is definitely one cruise that we would do on NCL....... one to Cuba with Mr. Del Rio on and his family on board -- just to see their faces when they return to their country after so many years. That would be very special.

Hi Don - yes, I did say that but not because I feel that mainstream passengers wear their caps backwards or the passengers are "less than" luxury cruisers. We really do not want to sail on large ships (Oceania's Riviera was a bit large for us) and prefer to sail with few, if any, children (been there - done that). While I do not want to go on a rant about children, I'll just say that children today are given more freedom to "be themselves" (i.e. yelling, running around the ship, playing with the elevators, etc.), without repercussions - not even a reminder that their behavior is not acceptable.

We did briefly consider sailing on NCL but was put off by the boards and also am not a fan of "class oriented" cruising.

We love cruising but also love land travel (which we did for a long time before we started cruising).

There is definitely one cruise that we would do on NCL....... one to Cuba with Mr. Del Rio on and his family on board -- just to see their faces when they return to their country after so many years. That would be very special.

I'm not a fan of the big ships either, my worst nightmare would be on one of them. I cruise NCL on the jewel ships, even though a little larger than I like (love the Celebrity Summit which is around 2,100 passengers, which is a good size and the Crystal ships which really are a perfect size), I find them to be wonderful. Never felt crowded. Fantastic crew. I usually either travel during non-holidays (sans last year, when I cruised over Thanksgiving, but it was an 11 day cruise) and when schools are in session or on longer cruises and really don't encounter too many children and the majority of them that I've encountered were very pleasant and respectful. BTW, the worst behaved children I have ever cruised with was on Crystal.

Please don't think what you read on these boards are the same on the ships. I have met wonderful people every time I've sailed on NCL ships.

Edited by NLH Arizona