Help me Pull the Trigger on NCL

RobinKY

We have done CCL shorter budget cruises and also RC. We have two kids 13 & 11 and we are looking at 7-day Star out of Tampa or Dawn out of New Orleans either over Christmas (20-27) or week prior (13-20).

Wife & I like to sun by the pool and enjoy frozen drinks, good food (nothing too exotic) and hanging out at a bar/lounge in the evenings. Kids like pool, slides, kid-food and we'll do some kid-focused excursions.

The free UBP is really appealing to us and would save us quite a bit.

Reviews for Star seem bad. Help me pull the trigger and decide on NCL.

We have done CCL shorter budget cruises and also RC. We have two kids 13 & 11 and we are looking at 7-day Star out of Tampa or Dawn out of New Orleans either over Christmas (20-27) or week prior (13-20).

Wife & I like to sun by the pool and enjoy frozen drinks, good food (nothing too exotic) and hanging out at a bar/lounge in the evenings. Kids like pool, slides, kid-food and we'll do some kid-focused excursions.

first of all I would be in favor of the week before the actual holiday. I imagine the rates are also lower. The best way to really see how good or bad a review is would to read the reviews posted in the review section and not necessarity those posted here on the NCL board. I personally have never been a fan of the Star, but don't think it is a bad ship; just think others are better. It sounds like everything you want you can find on either ship; go with the better rate, that is what I would do anyway.

Have sailed on Dawn and Star multiple times. Enjoyed Western Caribbean itinerary. Would recommend New Orleans due to the things to do there.

I would take some of the reviews with a grain of salt. The ships are pretty much identical.

Never used this, but I believe the teen club activities are pretty good on NCL.

Contrary to some, you will not starve or die of food poisoning on either ship.

I didn't like the Star. I wouldn't choose that ship again. I am going to be on the Jewel which will be new to me and anticipate liking that ship.

We have sailed many times to include CCL, RC, and NCL with our two kids who are now 13 and 14. Based on my kids' experiences, I suggest you reconsider pulling the trigger on either the Dawn or Star. I don't think these ships even have a slide, except at the kiddie pool. They are older NCL ships and will not have many of the kid amenities your children may want. My children's least favorite cruise ship was the NCL Jewel. It's a nice ship, but just not great for kids. Our next cruise is on the NCL Getaway, and we have high expectations that it will be our new favorite ship. If your kids want slides and outdoor water fun, I suggest either a newer NCL, or Carnival or Royal. Almost all of the Carnival ships have Waterworks, even the smaller older ships.

Edited by mpcaruth

My wife and I were on the STAR in June for a cruise through Norway. I don't think I would do a cruise on the STAR with my kids (14, 12, 10, 8) I think that it would be fine for 3 or 4 days but if the trip is not port intensive it might get boring for them by the second sea day.

We really liked the personnel and the service when we were on the ship, although there have been reports that crew has turned over since the STAR came back to the US and service wasn't the same. The shows were ok. We did like the comedian. The other shows were just okay. There is one slide at the pool. I can see that being very, very busy with kids over a holiday cruise. The deal or no deal was dumb. We dont play bingo. The love & marriage bit is entertaining but not really for kids. They did have a kids club but when we were on the STAR are kids were not with us. They do have a kids pool and play area at the back of the ship. That looked fun for 2-8 year olds but older than that and they might get bored there. They did have a "Circus" day for families where the kids got to play with different trick toys and learn how to use them (juggling, plate on a stick, hoops)

We really enjoyed the food and the service in the specialty restaurants. The lunches in the MDR were very good. OSheehans was hit and miss. The asian restaurant was pretty yummy.

They did have a group of musicians on board that were very good and fun to watch. We did enjoy the live music.

I don't think I'd jump on the STAR or DAWN for a 7 day Caribbean adventure with my 4 kids. Its a smaller ship so if you do decide to go, it would be some great family time playing games and meeting other people. Not a whole lot on the ship itself to hold the interests of the youngins for more than a day or two.

-Sean

I agree that the Star is probably not the right ship for you and your kids. I would choose one of these:

NCL

Getaway

Breakaway

Epic

Escape

Royal Caribbean Cruiseline

Quantum

Anthem

Ovation

Allure

Oasis

Harmony

Freedom

Independence

Liberty

Voyager

Navigator

Mariner

Adventure

Explorer

Carnival

Magic

Breeze

Dream

Vista

All of the above are family oriented ships with so much to do onboard that you will never get bored and neither will your kids. These are drastically better ships for family cruising than the Star.

Star Western from Tampa: $1704 for a family of 4 Dec 13-20

Spirit Western from Port Canaveral:$1594 for a family of 4 Dec 12-19

Getaway Western Caribbean from Miami: $2823 for a family of 4 Dec 13-20

Spirit Eastern from Port Canaveral: $3100 w $100 OBC for a family of 4 Dec 19-26

Escape Eastern Caribbean from Miami: $3386 for a family of 4 Dec 12-19

Our family of 8 was personally were looking forward to taking the Star as it recently came out of Refurb but it is moving from Tampa next year so our booking was cancelled.

For that price, you can't go wrong and that is a port intensive itinerary. I don't think your kids would be bored.

Those are really expensive weeks. No chance you can sail 12/12/15 or 1/2/16? You would save 50-75%.

Also, have you considered the Jade out of Houston? It doesn't have all the fancy stuff that the really expensive boats have, but it does have a waterslide, a pool, a kids club, a teen club, and 5 free dining options.

Actually, if you were able to sail 12/12, that is a KSF week, so you could get a guarantee balcony for $1920 total for 4, including UBP for the adults. I know some parents aren't willing to pull their kids out of school, though.

OP; I have no idea what type of cabin you are looking for or if you are planning on one or two cabins. If I was in your shoes....I would go with the alternate week you mentioned, the 13-20, and consider the Getaway out of Miami. It also has UBP available but unfortunately no Kids Sail Free that week as some other ships do. But if considering the rates for xmas week on other ships, personally, I would do the week before on the Getaway. Newer ship, lots of activities for the kids (and parents) lots of ports etc. Just another thought....

Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise!!

Also, how did your kids like the ships you've sailed on before? None of those are megaships, so if they liked those, they should like the Jade or the Star, both of which have a waterslide.

I think a lot of the wealthier people who post on here might not realize how much fun kids can have just swimming and going down the waterslide and meeting new friends and playing basketball and stuff like that.

Those are really expensive weeks. No chance you can sail 12/12/15 or 1/2/16? You would save 50-75%.

Also, have you considered the Jade out of Houston? It doesn't have all the fancy stuff that the really expensive boats have, but it does have a waterslide, a pool, a kids club, a teen club, and 5 free dining options.

Actually, if you were able to sail 12/12, that is a KSF week, so you could get a guarantee balcony for $1920 total for 4, including UBP for the adults. I know some parents aren't willing to pull their kids out of school, though.

Oh, duh, that is the same week you were thinking isn't it? I was thinking you said Xmas or the week after for some reason. I'm definitely doubling down on my Jade recommendation then. Much better reviews than Star/Dawn and still reasonably priced.

I would like to point out that either of seven night NCL cruises have only two sea days. I would hope that the OP's two kids aren't so unimaginative that they couldn't find something to fill their time on those two days, even on ships such as the Star or Dawn.

The Star just went through a refurb. The recent poor reviews were service related, not about the ship itself. I think it's kind of funny when people consider a 92,000 ton ship as on the small side. And it does have a slide, not sure the Dawn does however.

The Star just went through a refurb. The recent poor reviews were service related, not about the ship itself. I think it's kind of funny when people consider a 92,000 ton ship as on the small side. And it does have a slide, not sure the Dawn does however.

Not small for a ship but one of the smallest in the fleet...although Jewel class is not a whole lot bigger :)

Not small for a ship but one of the smallest in the fleet...although Jewel class is not a whole lot bigger :)

I remember being on the Majesty before it was stretched. That was small. When I was on the Sun, Dawn, Spirit and Gem the last few years they all felt big in comparison. The Epic was too big and way too crowded for me, but to each his own. Love the aft suites on Dawn and Jewel class ships.

The Dawn does not have a slide at the main pool. There is one at the kiddie pool.

As another poster mentioned, there is basketball, and lots of other stuff to do on the Dawn. I've been on it many times and always enjoyed it.

Read the Dailies every day. They list all of the activities, shows, and other entertainment.

I would like to point out that either of seven night NCL cruises have only two sea days. I would hope that the OP's two kids aren't so unimaginative that they couldn't find something to fill their time on those two days, even on ships such as the Star or Dawn.

I would hope so too! I was 13 when we took a freighter from L.A. to Fiji, 2 weeks of all sea days, no kids club and only 6 other passengers and the next youngest to me was 21. :eek: I read a lot of books, played deck golf and deck tennis and bothered the stewards and yet I was never so bored that I felt the trip was excruciatingly long. :p

GO FOR! Take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. With every 1 bad review written their are a 100 good reviews which won't be written. Yes it does sound like the Star has had some growing issues in Tampa. Hopefully that will be ironed out soon.

This trip is port intensive with only two days. We liked is so much we did it two years in a row on the Dawn and the Sun. Your kids will love the ports, lots to do.