I'm a first time cruiser!

mandie89

Hi everybody,

I've been looking from a distance at this forum for quite a while along with looking at cruises for months upon months!

I am about to take the leap and put a deposit on a cruise! I think it's somewhat perfect, 14 nights, New Zealand (I live in Australia and have never been out of my own state yet!) with a low deposit and onboard credit - win/win?

So, a quick question for anyone that has sailed with Pacific Aria or any cruise ship in general. I feel that I want to get the most out of it and book a Balcony room however they are near the top of the boat.. do you feel this might cause sea sickness?

Feel free to provide any feedback for first time cruising etc. I would be grateful to hear it!

The principle for avoiding sea sickness is to book a cabin low and mid-ship. But you might not suffer from sea sickness. If you do go for a balcony, get one as close to midship as possible on the lowest deck of balconies.

For further ideas about Pacific Aria, you might visit the Holland America board here at CC, as she is a former HAL ship, Ryndam being refurbished for P&O-AU. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I understand the wanting a balcony, especially if it is a first-getting the most on your first experience- and I know nothing about the cruise or the itinerary, but unless the ship is sailing close to land along the coast, I too wouldn't worry too much about getting a balcony. Your first cruise should be about the cruise "experience" -entertainment, ports, food, games, in other words participating with other cruisers-

but, if you are a loner, and want quiet time, or snuggle time with your "other half" or alone time away from humanity, then low, center balcony will work.

I had a balcony on my first cruise, but I love cruising so much I am willing to bypass the balcony to cruise more often.

Have a great cruise!

Hi everybody,

I've been looking from a distance at this forum for quite a while along with looking at cruises for months upon months!

I am about to take the leap and put a deposit on a cruise! I think it's somewhat perfect, 14 nights, New Zealand (I live in Australia and have never been out of my own state yet!) with a low deposit and onboard credit - win/win?

So, a quick question for anyone that has sailed with Pacific Aria or any cruise ship in general. I feel that I want to get the most out of it and book a Balcony room however they are near the top of the boat.. do you feel this might cause sea sickness?

Feel free to provide any feedback for first time cruising etc. I would be grateful to hear it!

Welcome.

If a balcony cabin fits your budget, go for it. It doesn't get much better than sitting on a balcony enjoying fresh air and the view. Sunsets, sunrises, moonlight waters, etc. :)

Most NZ cruises spend a few days in the south island fjords. Being able to sit outside with some privacy enjoying the view appeals to me.

One has to be fairly motion sensitive to notice the difference a few floors make. If you are that sensitive I would suggest discussing the matter with your family doctor and getting their recommendations for combating nausea.

Edited by broberts

I understand the wanting a balcony, especially if it is a first-getting the most on your first experience- and I know nothing about the cruise or the itinerary, but unless the ship is sailing close to land along the coast, I too wouldn't worry too much about getting a balcony. Your first cruise should be about the cruise "experience" -entertainment, ports, food, games, in other words participating with other cruisers-

but, if you are a loner, and want quiet time, or snuggle time with your "other half" or alone time away from humanity, then low, center balcony will work.

I had a balcony on my first cruise, but I love cruising so much I am willing to bypass the balcony to cruise more often.

Have a great cruise!

Having been a cruiser for about 30 years, long before balconies were installed on cruise ships, the choicest cabins were outside, usually with a porthole. There were some super duper suites (very few) for the hoi palloi, but that was it.

We were amazed at how much there was to do and, if we wanted to enjoy fresh air, we found a deck chair on the prom deck. They were always available.

We booked veranda (balcony) cabins whenever we sailed on an Holland America S Class ship, but we rarely spent more than a few minutes on the balcony. Perhaps a room service breakfast or watching a port arrival or departure where we could see and hear the procedure, but that was about it.

Lately most cruise lines charge just a little more than an outside cabin rate for a balcony cabin. On our last cruise (Princess) our "mini-suite was about $30 a day per person higher than an ocean view cabin. Of course the cheapest mini-suite was not located midships or wake view areas, the most popular locations.

Edited by Host Walt

Hi everybody,

Congrats on your first cruise!! Read my thread on balconies..there is nothing like cruising with a balcony! It completely changes your perspective & experience and gives you that connection to the sea that insides or window cabins can't do...and nobody EVER says their inside cabin was "exciting" or "amazing"...nobody...read this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2257005

any questions, let me know- I'm a cruise agent & done 31 cruises ( 32 after 11/14)...

Big Al