Remember the Italian Line Raphaello and Michaelangelo?

anne13

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I have read that as well, but have not investigated the concept.  A luxury product on a smaller ship sounds very expensive.  Are you suggesting that the design of the ships are of the mid-20th Century design?  Not, the Celebrity Edge/Apex ugliness?  

Yes…MSC has been planning to enter the Luxury market with smaller purpose built ships that will compete with the top lLuxury lines.  These new ships will be 100% Luxury.  They are talking about a $3700 entry price which will be lower than the competition.  The Yacht Club will remain as a separate venue on the larger MSC ships.  

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Yes…MSC has been planning to enter the Luxury market with smaller purpose built ships that will compete with the top lLuxury lines.  These new ships will be 100% Luxury.  They are talking about a $3700 entry price which will be lower than the competition.  The Yacht Club will remain as a separate venue on the larger MSC ships.  

It will be something to see how this evolves.  $3700 as an entry price sounds unreasonable.  For what length of a cruise?  Or is this a per day price?  

On 6/13/2021 at 6:28 AM, shipgeeks said:

Rotterdam,  You mention ocean liner style furnishings.  I love that, too!  Two sets of easy chairs in our living room are based on photos of chairs in some of our books of ocean liners, and coffee tables are steamer trunks inherited from relatives who traveled with them.

And yes, we do have vintage ocean liner posters on the walls.

Good for uou...I'm hoping to collect some furnishings ala Italian Line & Oceanic for my beach house. Comfortable & fun.. I only need the band from the Italian Hall inboard OCEANIC

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

As anyone who sailed on the ships from the 60's, 70's & a couple from the 1980's knows...today its a totally different product & experience.

The QE2 & FRANCE were about 70,000 GRT W 1200 PASSENGERS  I believe....

Last year I sailed in MSC MERAVIGLIA W a passenger capacity of 4000+. I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much. I sailed in a mishap balcony cabin for 13 days.

I would gladly welcome & sail on the new MSC smaller ships./line.

3 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

I only need the band from the Italian Hall inboard OCEANIC

Romy Formica and The Favolosi was the group that was playing in the Italian Hall when I sailed on the Oceanic.  Great group and their full LP record can be found on You Tube.

.I'm hoping to collect some furnishings ala Italian Line & Oceanic for my beach house

I imagine that you are aware of maritime artifact dealers that often have such items from both the Oceanic and the Italian Line vessels.  I know the dealer with whom I have bought does and is a very reputable gentleman/company.  If you would like a contact for him, I think I can provide it on CC and not break any of the rules by doing so.  

Last year I sailed in MSC MERAVIGLIA W a passenger capacity of 4000+. I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much. I sailed in a mishap balcony cabin for 13 days.

I sailed on her as well in 2020 as a Yacht Club guest.  But, was "out and about" from that enclave frequently and found that I enjoyed the entire ship as well.  Main theater entertainment was very good/excellent and enjoyed the CD who was a retired HAL CD.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Romy Formica and The Favolosi was the group that was playing in the Italian Hall when I sailed on the Oceanic.  Great group and their full LP record can be found on You Tube.

I imagine that you are aware of maritime artifact dealers that often have such items from both the Oceanic and the Italian Line vessels.  I know the dealer with whom I have bought does and is a very reputable gentleman/company.  If you would like a contact for him, I think I can provide it on CC and not break any of the rules by doing so.  

Thanks so much...I'll listen to the music this week.

Its so kind of you & I certainly would appreciate the contact information for the furniture......can you imagine recreating the ITALIAN HALL in my living room...smaller scale 9f course but a good bar!!

Thank you

19 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

As anyone who sailed on the ships from the 60's, 70's & a couple from the 1980's knows...today its a totally different product & experience.

The QE2 & FRANCE were about 70,000 GRT W 1200 PASSENGERS  I believe....

I would gladly welcome & sail on the new MSC smaller ships./line.

We sailed on MSC Seaside, a large ship, and greatly enjoyed it.  Since then, we've been booked, and cancelled, twice on MSC's Armonia, a much smaller ship.  We're still determined to do so.

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We sailed on MSC Seaside, a large ship, and greatly enjoyed it.  Since then, we've been booked, and cancelled, twice on MSC's Armonia, a much smaller ship.  We're still determined to do so.

Our first cruise on MSC was either on the OPERA or POESIA....when first sailing...I believe they have been stretched since then...they were nice and we very much enjoyed them both.

That is why I was so surprised to have enjoyed the MERAVIGLIA so much...totally different ships 🚢 

51 minutes ago, marco said:

We just booked the Divina for January '22.  It will be our 4th time on the ship. Still, not quite the "Italian experience" as was the Italian or Hmes LInes.

Marco.. I've found sailing on MSC ships vs the old Italian, Home & SITMAR Lines is much like a recipe ones mom use to make, then being made by someone else....its not quite the same but the flavor is there🤗

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

I certainly would appreciate the contact information for the furniture......

www.nautiques.net will take you to the company's website.  He may have what you are hoping to find; then, he may not.  No harm in checking.  

21 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

RK, Is that Peter Knego's site?  I remember reading of his trips to the ship breakers to remove furniture and other items, to send back to California.

No, it is not.  I had forgotten about Mr. Knego.  I have no contact information for him.  But, he might be a better source for furniture than the site that I mentioned.  I hope Rotterdam sees this and tries to find a web site for Mr. Knego, if he has one.  

There are other maritime memorabilia dealers, but I have only dealt with two of them; the gentleman's web site that I listed being the most frequent.  

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No, it is not.  I had forgotten about Mr. Knego.  I have no contact information for him.  But, he might be a better source for furniture than the site that I mentioned.  I hope Rotterdam sees this and tries to find a web site for Mr. Knego, if he has one.  

There are other maritime memorabilia dealers, but I have only dealt with two of them; the gentleman's web site that I listed being the most frequent.  

Hi RKA...Thanks so much...I've been busy but did check your link & actually found something.

I also did an online search for  "ocean liner furniture for sale" & found a few more pieces.

I'm excited about the idea dea that I may be able to do this...thanks again

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

Hi RKA...Thanks so much...I've been busy but did check your link & actually found something.

I also did an online search for  "ocean liner furniture for sale" & found a few more pieces.

I'm excited about the idea dea that I may be able to do this...thanks again

I am glad that I could help you.  Good wishes for a successful end of your project!  

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Rotterdam, Check out midshipcentury.com for some genuine ship furniture and other items.

You found Mr. Knego's web site.  Great!  A very interesting, yet sad, find.  Looking over the inventory that he has was a trip down memory lane for me regarding the Statendam and the Monterey.  The double glass doors he has from the Monterey looked familiar.  Maybe they are from the forward entrance to the Main Lounge?  The key fops?  Don't recall those at all nor the glass panel from the Statendam.  

I had the priviledge of sailing with Peter Knego on a transatlantic voyage of Silver Spirit.  Great guy.  I've also purchased some Italian line china from him.  He is on Facebook.

I recently found an exceptionally beautiful item from the Michelangelo on 1st Dibs.  It is a mirror from one of the first class cabins.  I sailed aboard both the Michelangelo and Raffaello in first class cabins.  Each cabin had a different version of this mirror.  My research finds that the artist was Romano Rui, who had other sculptural pieces on the ships.  The asking price for this one mirror is $32,000!  How I would love to have this piece in my home but.....

You can see it HERE.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Conte Di Savoia said:

I had the priviledge of sailing with Peter Knego on a transatlantic voyage of Silver Spirit.  Great guy.  I've also purchased some Italian line china from him.  He is on Facebook.

I recently found an exceptionally beautiful item from the Michelangelo on 1st Dibs.  It is a mirror from one of the first class cabins.  I sailed aboard both the Michelangelo and Raffaello in first class cabins.  Each cabin had a different version of this mirror.  My research finds that the artist was Romano Rui, who had other sculptural pieces on the ships.  The asking price for this one mirror is $32,000!  How I would love to have this piece in my home but.....

You can see it HERE.

Plus the shipping charge of $610!  

It's like those doors that I remember from the Monterey.  I'd love to have them.  But, what would I do with them?  

Thanks ShipGeeks...will do.... I did see some chairs from the FRANCE &  dining set w 4 chairs from the ss United States...

Ideally I'd like to put together a room from the FRANCE or the Italian Line....

Thank you all for the info.

2 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

Thanks ShipGeeks...will do.... I did see some chairs from the FRANCE &  dining set w 4 chairs from the ss United States...

I saw some chairs from M.S. Augustus that I thought might be of interest to you.  Nothing from Home Lines or the Oceanic, unfortunately.  

There are other maritime collectors/dealers "out there".  Often, they will advertise in SSHSA's Power Ships journal.  If you think it would be helpful, when I next see an ad, I can pass the contact information on to you.  

5 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

You should have been around for the first transatlantic sailing of the Norway ex SS France from the shipyard in Germany to Miami.  Someone who was there told me they were literally throwing gorgeous chrome chairs, from the France, overboard.  What a shame.

21 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You should have been around for the first transatlantic sailing of the Norway ex SS France from the shipyard in Germany to Miami.  Someone who was there told me they were literally throwing gorgeous chrome chairs, from the France, overboard.  What a shame.

😧   Whose bonehead idea was that one!  That obviously was pre-environmental concerns that NCL has about ocean pollution.  While I enjoyed my one NCL cruise (1979), I have not been impressed with this Company under changing ownership/management for many, many years.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

😧   Whose bonehead idea was that one!  That obviously was pre-environmental concerns that NCL has about ocean pollution.  While I enjoyed my one NCL cruise (1979), I have not been impressed with this Company under changing ownership/management for many, many years.  

1979 was “ The Good Old Days”.  Back when NCL was a quality product with great service.  Things started going off the rails in the mid nineties.  I was onboard Norway in 1993 and things were really nice.  The service up in the top deck suites was excellent.  Room service would give you anything you asked for.  Giant shrimp cocktails were sent up every day around 4:00.  I even got a call from Room Service to inform me that they were there to help.  I had a cocktail party for some friends and the Concierge sent around written invitations and Room Service provided the hors D’oeuvres…lots of shrimp.  The Mumm was flowing.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1