Ncl gem what gives

CSRAJ81

What gives with NCL :confused: Sailing this coming week on the GEM November 13 and i hear there are many changes with NCL. From what i hear in the main dining room if you want prime rib there is now a $14.99 charge for it, Lobster is $19.99 and surf and turf is $24.99. I can see it in the specilty restuarants but in the main dining room! GIVE ME A BREAK:mad: Whats next, a charge to use the plank when you get off and on at different ports :eek: I thought i loved NCL but i think its time for a change:(

What gives with NCL :confused: Sailing this coming week on the GEM November 13 and i hear there are many changes with NCL. From what i hear in the main dining room if you want prime rib there is now a $14.99 charge for it, Lobster is $19.99 and surf and turf is $24.99. I can see it in the specilty restuarants but in the main dining room! GIVE ME A BREAK:mad: Whats next, a charge to use the plank when you get off and on at different ports :eek: I thought i loved NCL but i think its time for a change:(

They are just options that weren't there before. If you choose, you can order them, if not, nothing says that you have to. Although you won't have to worry because those choices are not available on the Gem.

No reason to be upset over having more choices.

Edited by SeaShark

What gives with NCL :confused: Sailing this coming week on the GEM November 13 and i hear there are many changes with NCL. From what i hear in the main dining room if you want prime rib there is now a $14.99 charge for it, Lobster is $19.99 and surf and turf is $24.99. I can see it in the specialty restaurants but in the main dining room! GIVE ME A BREAK:mad: Whats next, a charge to use the plank when you get off and on at different ports :eek: I thought i loved NCL but i think its time for a change:(

They are special dishes in addition to the normal menu. I am happy that they are offering main dining room guest a choice to select a premium meal if you want (without having to drag your whole family to a specialty restaurant).

Good Job NCL!

(BTW: You can only use the Plank on the Breakaway, Getaway, and Escape,,,, actually there are two Planks on the Escape).

Edited by BirdTravels

I would rather pay that charge for a decent lobster than what they used to give for free: the tiny, chewy ones.

But the items you mention are optional. If it bothers you just go with something else that is included in your fare.

Seems like NCL is just following what some of the other cruise lines are doing by adding upgraded items for a fee on the MDR menu.

Carnival and RCCL also offer premium options on their MDR menu that cost extra. NCL is just following the trend. On the other hand NCL does offer multiple free venues - more than other cruise lines except perhaps RCCL.

Which one charges for prime rib?

Which one adds and 18% service charge in the MDR?

Which cruise line is the only one that is not offering their upcharge MDR items as being from a specialty restaurant?

This thread is about the Gem. From their cruise history, it looks like the OP is in an excellent position to judge if the NCL experience on the same ship has changed all that much since the previous years. I hope they enjoy their cruise, and I hope they report back either way.

But the OP will not see any upcharge items in the MDR on their Gem cruise next week, so there is no need to discuss that any further in this thread. Maybe you have all already said everything you want to say in the Escape threads, but that is not a reason to come here and say it all again…

Edited by hawkeyetlse

This thread is about the Gem. From their cruise history, it looks like the OP is in an excellent position to judge if the NCL experience on the same ship has changed all that much since the previous years. I hope they enjoy their cruise, and I hope they report back either way.

But the OP will not see any upcharge items in the MDR on their Gem cruise next week, so there is no need to discuss that any further in this thread. Maybe you have all already said everything you want to say in the Escape threads, but that is not a reason to come here and say it all again…

Numerous sources on Facebook are reporting PCC's from NCL are telling them the menus are rolling out immediately and not waiting until January 1st. I can't say if that is what is happening or not, but just passing information along.

Yes, OP is in a good position to judge for themselves, but this is the information at hand now so at least they can be prepared either way.

Numerous sources on Facebook are reporting PCC's from NCL are telling them the menus are rolling out immediately and not waiting until January 1st. I can't say if that is what is happening or not, but just passing information along.

Yes, OP is in a good position to judge for themselves, but this is the information at hand now so at least they can be prepared either way.

Prepared for what exactly? The possibility that they may or may not have the opportunity to choose from a menu that offers premium items in addition to the regular offerings?

Oh the horror of it all . . . [emoji33]

We were on the Gem two weeks ago and on a 10 day cruise, the MDR had prime rib twice, rack of lamb, lamb shanks and beef wellington as featured free choices.

As long as I can still get their braised lamb shanks, I'm not complaining. :)

Both Carnival and RCI offer prime rib and lobster at least 1 night during the cruise, free. NCL does not offer free lobster any night in any dining venue.

However it is a 16 oz prime rib and a whole cold water lobster.

No need to be too concerned. NCL is just looking after their customers by offering more choices which is a great thing. What kind of choices are there when most everything is free? Free room service, free lobster, free prime rib, that’s hardly a choice. Now if NCL were to add more fees and charged for more items that would enhance the cruise experience by offering more choices. When dining in the MDR instead of the old boring ordering whatever suits you, now you get to mull over and analyze the value of each upcharge item vs free menu items before you choose your relaxing meal. That’s what vacationing and cruising is all about. :p

Both Carnival and RCI offer prime rib and lobster at least 1 night during the cruise, free. NCL does not offer free lobster any night in any dining venue.

I can speak about Carnival. The lobsters are on first elegant night, but they are the small ones. Don't be disillusioned thinking they are the big Maine ones. They do have "for charge" lobster and steak in the MDR but of specialty restaurant grade for $20. This avoids having to go to specialty restaurant for $35 and dragging the whole family with them. They recently discontinued lobster on their shorter cruises so they have some angry cruisers about this.

Its a whole lobster and a large prime rib. Not the little tail and small prime rib you get for free.