Suite or 2 Rooms?

Torinate

Hello there.

My wife and I took our first cruise together this year. Hooked... I guess.

So, next year we're planning to take a longer and bring our kids. They will be 12 and 14.

Our dilemma is, what do we do for rooms?

Options are 1 balcony room for all 4 of us. A smaller suite for all of us or 2 rooms - 1 balcony and 1 interior.

Weighing our options.

Of course a lot depends on the ship too.

We're planning a 1 week cruise on a family type ship. Like the bigger RCI boats but also a few carnival cruises as well. We're open to any and all suggestions for boats and rooms.

Looking to the experienced family cruisers for advice.

Our cruise was in the Brilliance out of Tampa and was awesome! But looking for more stuff for the kids.

Would like to leave from Florida as well. Easy to get to by plane. Lol

Thanks for your help!

Torinate

I would go with the 2 cabins.

We did a Veranda cabin on HAL Eurodam (which are generally just a bit larger cabin than the standard balcony cabin on Carnival or RCI), with our then 16 yo DS with us and it was TIGHT. We have sailed in Suites on HAL as well, and it depends on the sleeping arrangements if that would be enough room (for us).

The two cabins allows you some "couple time" plus avoids the chaos of 1 shower + 4 people.

Edited by K&RCurt

I guess it depends on the ship's cabin/suite configuration and price. We were not in this suite, but friends of ours were and we were on the cruise and visited their suite. It had two bedrooms, two baths and a "living room-ish". I have no idea what it cost, but if what ever ship you decide on has such a type suite and the cost for 4 is less than the cost of 2 cabins, certainly....I'd take the suite. You need to do your homework, and in this instance a good TA would be invaluable.

Edited by marco

I would suggest 2 connecting rooms. They can be inside, outside or balcony, depending on your budget. This would give you two bathrooms. It would be easier to keep an eye on the kids this way as opposed to two separate rooms.

When we took our kids on their first cruise, they were 10 & 14 and we splurged for a Grand Suite on Adventure of the Seas. It worked for us. The boys slept on the pull out sofa and my husband and I had the bedroom area - only drawback was that there was only a curtain separating the living area from the bedroom area.

For our Alaska cruise 2 years ago (boys aged 13 & 17 at the time), we booked a Royal Suite and the adjoining Concierge Class Cabin. We left the door open between the 2 cabins the entire time. It worked great! One of my boys stayed in the Concierge Cabin with his grandmother and the other stayed in the Royal Suite on the pull out sofa bed. Hubby & I had the entirely private bedroom. This was the best option for us as it gave us 2 bathrooms and plenty of space to just lounge around and relax while everyone else was getting ready for dinner. Not the cheapest option by far, but worked really great.

I again will highlight that at their ages go with the two rooms.

We've done the suite thing when our children were younger but when they reached the ages of your children we found it better to go with either one suite and one regular room or to regular rooms.

Keith

I agree with others, go with the 2 rooms. Besides having 2 bathrooms (which most suites don't have until you get to the really large ones) the beds can be split into twins. In the suite most likely they will be sharing a sofa bed (again not all suites but most).

We started with the 2 rooms when our kids were early teens and it worked well for us. Depending on your trust level for them you can do connecting or across the hall. Only you know what you are comfortable with. BTW, Royal will let you book the kids in their own cabin if they are next to or directly across the hall from each other, however you do need to call to make the reservation, the online system will not let you do it.

We found cruising a great way for the family to vacation and it is now my kids favorite way to travel.

Edited by akcruz

We priced out the costs of a GS or 2 balconies for our upcoming Alaska cruise. The 2 balconies was cheaper by quite a bit and gives us 2 bathrooms and a bit of separation. Ours are older (18 & 13) and I would not consider squeezing us all into one room unless it was a really big suite--which is definitely out of our price range :(

I agree....suites are ok, but very pricey...a JS just won't cut it as they are the size of a hotel room, and you're still all together all the time....2 rooms will give you more privacy, and their messes stay in their space!

Edited by cb at sea

If you like RCCL, I think you will also like NCL Getaway, Escape or Epic. NCL and RCCL are more similar than different and would be worth comparing the prices between RCCL and NCL. BTW, I'm also a big fan on the RCCL Oasis class ships - they have Royal Family Suites, 2 bathroom and 2 story suites called Loft Suites and also Aqua Theater 2 bedroom suites. NCL has 2 bedroom family suites, and The Haven 2 bedroom suites. Or you could just do 2 balconies.

Thanks for the advice!

Looking at a nice itinerary for the Freedom of the Seas RCI. Eastern Caribbean. Found a balcony directly across from a promenade view. Where's the trigger... Lol.

Thoughts on this ship and room choices anyone?