Cruise to cuba

Grumpy100

WOW!!! From my understanding it is not a typical cruise. You are there to do humanitarian type work. Not go to the beach or tour the sites.

I think that's for the cruises to the Dominican Republic. The ones to Cuba are cultural exchanges where you can go to learn about the culture.

I'm curious what Fathom will do if someone just refuses to do the work and makes all of the days beach/tour days opposed to "helping" the area.

I think that's for the cruises to the Dominican Republic. The ones to Cuba are cultural exchanges where you can go to learn about the culture.

I'm curious what Fathom will do if someone just refuses to do the work and makes all of the days beach/tour days opposed to "helping" the area.

For the DR trips you don't have to participate

https://www.fathom.org/experience-faq-v1/

No. Travelers are not required to participate, and have the flexibility to choose their own activities in the Dominican Republic.* However, we would strongly encourage each traveler to participate in these activities to fully experience the personal transformation that comes with this journey and to be a part of the sustainable change that you contribute through your participation.

you will be able to create your own schedule and will have the flexibility on a daily basis to choose from a variety of options, including opportunities to learn about the local culture, spend time with a local family, hike the coastline, or enjoy the many beaches.

For Cuba you don't have that option and I would imagine the ramifications of trying to go off on your own would be rather serious.

https://www.fathom.org/cuba-faq/

Yes, while travelers to Cuba will have the flexibility to customize their trips before they board the ship, they will be required to participate in cultural exchange programs on-the-ground to be in compliance with the travel authorizations contained in the Cuban Assets Control Regulations.

Involvement in on-board social-impact programs will have more flexibility, and are all designed to enrich the lives of Fathom travelers and enhance their travel experience.

Edited by AdrenalineRush

The price is very expensive for the cruise. I live near Tampa and a local news station has gone to Cuba for reports about 5 times now. One of the reporters actually went on a vacation with his wife and he said for his visas, airfare, accommodations, meals, and general spending money to go out to explore toen cost him $5500 for 8 days for two people. I think that sounds much more reasonable. I know a lot of people still have to get to Tampa or Miami for the flights to Havana but it's still a lot less doing a land stay instead of a cruise there for probably 3/4 days actually in Cuba.

From what I see, these Fathom cruises are cruises in that you're traveling on a ship, but everything else about them seems to be more of the hug-a-tree/hippie/yoga experience. They have a suggested schedule:

Sample Day On Board

A Fathom journey is about connecting to the wider world in a way that enriches understanding, and it’s about personal transformation, too. Most on-board activities will be not just a learning experience, but also a chance to explore your own depths. And a chance to spend some meaningful time with fellow travelers who share your view of a world where all people have the opportunity to reach their highest potential. Read on for what a sample day at sea looks like or download the 7 Day journey chart and sample days to share with your traveling companions.

6–9 AM

Leisure time on board for yoga, morning meditation, a workout at the gym, or just a healthy breakfast or a cup of coffee by the pool.

9–11 AM

Cultural awareness and Change Maker break-out sessions

Small-group discussions on encouraging independent economic activity, using art to create a vital cultural bridge, and how to unleash the greatness in everyone.

12–1 PM

Lunch on the Conservatory’s outdoor deck

Enjoy a Cuban-inspired menu that focuses on nourishing and sustainable foods. Take time to recharge so you’ll feel great all day long.

1–2 PM

Visit the spa

Make the time to take care of your mind and body with a massage or a choice of other spa services.

2–3 PM

Cuba On-Board Film Festival

Immerse yourself in Cuba’s cinematic history, from the Golden 60s to today.

3–6 PM

Fathom Interactive Festival

Engage in panel discussions, interactive workshops, and design thinking showcases with leading social impact partners and entrepreneurs.

7–8:30 PM

Head to the Ocean Grill for a Cuban-inspired dinner

Explore cuisine as a window into the culture of the Cuban people. Cuban recipes, prepared by the Adonia’s expert chefs, make this a truly memorable regional food, beverage, and service experience.

8:30–9:30 PM

Attend keynote event

Learn more about Fathom’s vision and the cumulative impact from previous trips, and enjoy Cuban music and entertainment on deck.

I'm sure this is good for some people, but I go on a cruise for a whole bunch of things that aren't on this list--and this cruise starts at $1800!

No way I'd spend $7500 for a carnival cruise. I'd go on one of those other lines and see what they are about if I had that kind of scratch. Cuba would be interesting but not unless the price drops a lot! For now it's carnival and the carribean.

Just to be fair, it's not a Carnival Cruise Line cruise, it's a Fathom cruise, a separate cruise line owned by Carnival Corporation, just like HAL, Princess, and several others.

That being said there is no way I'd spend that kind of money either. Hell, that's double to cost of a cruise on the Oasis or Anthem!! :eek:

I think Carnival Corp is really going to lose out by creating Fathom. There is already normal cruise lines that American citizens can legally travel with which allow a normal cruising experience with normal excursions for the price of a small ship cruise.

I also think that in less than five years mainstream cruise lines will be allowed to call on Cuban ports. Once that happens, I can't really see a large demand for Fathom.

With its close proximity to Florida whenever Cuba is truly wide open to US based cruise ships, it will probably be hard to book a Caribbean cruise that doesn't stop there.

I would imagine it will "eventually" be like Nassua and Cozumel in frequency of weekly visits. Possibly even replacing Nassau.

Also in hurricane season where currently ships often sail in circles around Cuba, some will be able to pull up to the dock