Land & Sea - LIVE from Spain as we sail & compare HAL to Oceania

kazu

None of them get free laundry or internet.

Now the upper suites do get more specialty dinner reservations - but that is a mixed bag and if you want more dinners and are willing to share a table it can be done.

So, the perks for the upper suites are few IMO and from what I heard from one roll call member who was in an O suite, the butlers are not necessarily the best. His butler was not good and was only seen 3 times in the entire cruise. (and this person is regular O cruiser so I think he knows what to expect ;))

The new perks for top suites included unlimited internet for those thinking of trying Oceania in a top suite

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/internet-packages/

Some cruise like KAZU's included free unlimited internet

If they were regular cruisers they should have known to report the butler to the hotel manager ..they would swap him out

Too bad they suffered in silence

incorrect

HOT breakfast is available in Concierge & above other Cat get cold items

They do have upsells on some sailings usually TA's are more popular so not many upsells

This makes me appreciate HAL even more as everyone gets the same room service breakfast menu, regardless of cabin category.

Thanks for your reports, I thoroughly enjoyed them. What a cruise! Shame about the norovirus.

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 74 of 1,160 (6.38%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 12 of 776 (1.55%)

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2015/dec2_oceania_riviera.htm

Sounds miserable, glad you did not catch it.

incorrect

HOT breakfast is available in Concierge & above other Cat get cold items

They do have upsells on some sailings usually TA's are more popular so not many upsells

Oh thanks Lyn - I was going by the announcement in the Currents which said the time for the suite breakfast. There was no mention of the other category..

The new perks for top suites included unlimited internet for those thinking of trying Oceania in a top suite

If they were regular cruisers they should have known to report the butler to the hotel manager ..they would swap him out

Actually as I understood from O and my TA, it the sailing after ours had FREE internet for the PH, not unlimited. This is a new perk O is adding to the PH and above I believe, but the free is not unlimited. The free is something like 400 minutes for the cruise I believe.

If anyone had a by the minute package on this cruise it wouldn't have lasted long as the counter kept going whether internet worked or not.

Our cruise did not have the Free Internet but O did offer the unlimited internet to new bookings. Some of our roll call were fortunate to get it added but many were not able. It seemed to depend upon a combination of the cabin and the TA. Fortunately, I was able to. so, for once I did not have to pay for internet.

I would have been very upset if I had with the poor quality of internet that we had. on the ship.

Oh thanks Lyn - I was going by the announcement in the Currents which said the time for the suite breakfast. There was no mention of the other category..

Could have something to do when the butlers are available as I think in the suites they are the one to bring your breakfast orders

The lower cabins just have a regular wait staff bring it

no free internet on this one for the suites unless they lucked into the special. The perks did not start until the next cruise from what I understood. Of course, I was only taking to the people who were in that category on that cruise.;)

Thanks for the reports, Jacqui. A dumb question - what are "Currents"? I had been thinking it was the Daily Explorer, but your last sentence threw me.

I thought communication on HAL was bad (no, I should clarify that, not so much on the ships but definitely at HAL HQ;)) but it sounds way worse on O.

Currents are like the On Location on HAL Lizzie. The daily program that they put out. Sorry if I posted something confusing.

The updates/changes were usually inserted in the currents or put on top but most times there were extra pages inserted in the currents.

no free internet on this one for the suites unless they lucked into the special. The perks did not start until the next cruise from what I understood. Of course, I was only taking to the people who were in that category on that cruise.;)

Yes the new perks for Riviera started Dec 2nd & unless you got a special deal it was not included

Thanks for your reports, I thoroughly enjoyed them. What a cruise! Shame about the norovirus.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2015/dec2_oceania_riviera.htm

Sounds miserable, glad you did not catch it.

thank so much whogo. the Norovirus wasn't the end of the world. It was the repercussions and the handling that bothered me.

If anyone has any questions that I did not cover in my live thread please ask.

We are at FLL airport so I will have time between here and there (FLL & Toronto) to try to finish a good part of my comparison and answer any questions

It's going to be a LONG day ;)

Currents are like the On Location on HAL Lizzie. The daily program that they put out. Sorry if I posted something confusing.

The updates/changes were usually inserted in the currents or put on top but most times there were extra pages inserted in the currents.

Ah, gotcha - thanks.:) Have a safe journey home.

Dh and I have been struggling to find a way to describe this cruise. Perhaps it is out of the ordinary for O (according to some O cruisers) and perhaps it is not. We don't know.

I have NEVER seen DH fill in a survey nor write a letter to the General Manager (aka Hotel Director), that is how strongly he felt.

Riviera is a beautiful ship and quite well laid out. We liked a lot of things about it including our rooms. The meals are all presented beautifully with full artistry.

Here's the problem (in DH's mind), everything looks beautiful, but there is no substance.

The food might not be as good as it looks. It could be tough, over done, indedible, etc. It can also be wonderful. It's the luck of the draw.

The service in most places for us was abysmal. Ok, call us fussy, but when dirty plates sit in front of me for 45 minutes without being cleared I lose patience. When a full dish that has NOT been eaten because it is inedible (Polo for our friend) sits for 45 minutes without being cleared NOR anyone asking how the food is I just shake my head.

I did NOT post about about our last dinner in Toscana on the last night as I felt if I did I would be flamed to death on the O board.

We had done Polo (good food for us, not for our friend, but absolutely horrific service), Red Ginger (good service for our friends at another table - horrible for us and we both agreed that one appetizer was awful) and Jacques - which was just a wonderful, wonderful experience. Awesome food, awesome service and got my hopes up.

So, when the butler secured our reservations for Toscana for the last night, since we had lost ours previously as DH was at the medical centre, we accepted.

I figured one good - two disappointing - we had to hit a home run here, right?

Food was ok until we got to the main course. DH's steak was so salty he couldn't eat it so we sat there...and sat...and sat....Waiters kept breezing by to make up the table next to us, etc. After 45 minutes, we got up to leave and everyone came running. Didn't we want desert, coffee? We said no, we were done. DH never complains and I mean never and had a few words with the Maitre D'.

So, if I am fussy that I don't want a dirty plate in front of me for 45 minutes, sorry. If I am fussy that I think someone should come to see how the meal is, sorry.

For us, the specialities are way over blown.

The problem is the ship is inconsistent. You can have fantastic service at the same restaurant and lousy service depending upon the waiter you have. It's not a matter of a different week on a cruise, a different experience. It's a matter of total inconsistency so two people can be in the same restaurant at two different tables and have two different experiences.

Frankly, I think a lot of them need some basic training on etiquette. But again, I am probably fussy.

When it comes to service, HAL beats this crew easily. At least they clear tables and ask how your food was or if they can get you something else.

I only had one occasion when someone asked me how the food was and that was in Jacques.

We ate in the Grand Dining Room several times as well as we like that so I am not just talking about specialties.

Again, a beautiful room, beautiful place settings but there was nothing behind it all.

When it comes to service, O did not deliver what I thought was a premier experience. In fact, I thought they could learn a few things from HAL.

I know I will get flamed from this but that was our experience and I will honestly say I did not spend the money I did to have this experience. It had nothing to do with the Noro.

I'll take HAL's congenial crew over this lot where some are wonderful and some feel that they are above what they are doing (at least that is the feeling I got) or are just downright snooty.

DH made me post this ;)

Edited by kazu

Our DD waitressed her way through HS and university, and said a good server always checked back within a few bites to make sure everything was good. She was always very critical of any restaurant where that was not done. We have found them pretty good in the MDR on HAL, of course in the Lido, you're on your own!:D

Were you expected to tip a little something extra in the special restaurants on O?

Our DD waitressed her way through HS and university, and said a good server always checked back within a few bites to make sure everything was good. She was always very critical of any restaurant where that was not done. We have found them pretty good in the MDR on HAL, of course in the Lido, you're on your own!:D

Were you expected to tip a little something extra in the special restaurants on O?

I don't think so Vict0riann as to the tipping. I did slip something to christien at Jacques as we so awesome but the specialites are included in your cruise fare and part of the allure of this line.

Frankly other than Jacques, no one warranted any kind of a tip and if refunds were available, we should have had one. nasty, aren't I? ;)

Here's the problem (in DH's mind), everything looks beautiful, but there is no substance.

Your DH hit the nail on the head.

But again, I am probably fussy.

That's not likely the reason.

When paying such a high fare, to sail on a line with the reputation for service and food that Oceania has, one rightly has certain expectations. When those expectations are consistently dashed, one disembarks the ship shaking their head, wondering what all the fuss is about.

That's not "fussy". That's "disappointed", and based on what you have posted happened throughout the cruise, rightfully so.

Dear Jacqui and Jose,

You have both been gracious in sharing your vacation with us. We asked for your opinions so I see no reason for you to be flamed for doing what was asked of you. Speaking for myself, you answered many questions. You can not provide an honest comparison without it being subjective; that is the nature of the beast. I have read both your threads and appreciated your photos and commentary. Your last post was what I began to fear. It doesn't take much to look good but it takes considerably more effort to BE good. Big distinction. I am sorry that some have tried to put you in the position of defending or proving your experience on the voyage which is moot. For the record, our experience on the Disney Magic mimicked your experience on O. The cabin was fantasia and the ship looked good but the food was hit and miss and one meal was inedible.

Live and learn and you are wiser for the experience. Thanks again for sharing your voyage.

So sorry this trip didn't go well. My parents enjoyed their O cruse but did mention it felt soulless. That makes sense given your context.

I'm guessing you have no future O plans. :)

soulless - perfect descripton - there was an emptiness a lack of meaning sometimes when people talked - others were fantastic.

I should mention that most of the people that were fantastic were on there first cruise with O.

One lady even switched from Crystal!

Crhisten who was our waiter in Jacques ran a restaurant. They should make him Maitre D'. Heck forget that - they should have him train everyone. He was fantastic! The right amount of familiarty without going over the top and totall professional. O needs a LOT more like him.

oops - edited to say - no there are no O plans right now in our future. O cruises are VErY expensive with our declined Canadian dollar and for us, the value is not there.

I will talk more about value shortly (maybe tomorrow as we are boarding soon) as it might have value for some.

What matters to us might not matter to others and what doesn't hold value for ualue for us might have a lot of value for others. It all depends.

O has a nice product - they just forgot to finish it ;)

Edited by kazu

Welcome home Jacqui & Jose I hope you arrived before too much snow has fallen. I expect you will have more and a bit sooner than us here on the North side of the Cobequid Bay.

Thanks for all your input on your cruise on the O, I think we will stay with HAL, as my DF used to say; " it's better you keep with the devil you know, rather than the one you don't". My problem always was that I like to try everything I can at least once. LOL .

Helen

Thanks for your review and comparisons. You have answered questions that many of us wonder about when we think of Oceania and HAL. The pictures looked beautiful but snooty staff is a deal breaker for me.

Marcia

Thanks for posting your thoughts and observations. As a result I have put all thoughts of trying an Oceania cruise out of my mind. We thought the Oceania ship we toured in Saint John a few years ago was lovely but without the warm and friendly service we are used to on HAL I doubt we would enjoy the cruise.

I nearly forgot to mention...

here is one thing that O does really well. They have a Captain's Reception in Horizons where the officers are introduced. Similar to what HAL used to do. ( I say used to as it seems it is being cut out from reading some posts?)

Here's the big difference. No glass of sparkling wine. Instead, The bars are open on the ship for a few hours because of the reception. You don't have to be in Horizons and the drinks are free. You can have champagne if you want or just about anything else. There are some restrictions but it is nothing unreasonable.

It's a very nice affair and very well done. O really shines at this.

They also do a VERY nice reception for their returning cruiseres. There were three parties on this cruise. Once again the bars are open and there are some very nice munchies served from what I was told.

Edited by kazu