"Evening Chick" now on X - will Princess follow?

Sanibel*Gal

Isn't "evening chic" just another way of saying semi-formal??

I know that we have seen many onboard Princess completely disregard the formal attire note, and stroll in with jeans and tshirts on.

I have never ever seen this on a Princess cruise on formal nights and do not believe a Princess Maitre'd would allow it.....really???

NCL has had "Free Style" for a long time.

Carnival has "Elegant Nights" but just about anything half way decent is OK.

RCCL still calls it "Formal Night" but decent long pants and a shirt with a collar are actually fine.

HAL has recently gone to "Gala Night".

Celebrity now has "Evening Chic".

No matter if Princess changes the name or not. It's perfectly all right and has been for several years to wear HAL's "Gala Night" or Celebrity's "Evening Chic" on Princess cruises for Formal Nights in the MDR. :)

LuLu

Apparently you aren't over 6 foot, and 260 lbs, and priced rentals online. You have to keep a suitcase under 50 lbs or pay overweight charges. It is a hardship, for larger people, as our clothes weight more than those in the 5 foot range.

You don't need a 'tux'. I used to wear one, now its just a blazer, and pants.

Tip, you might even wear the blazer when you board. I also wear, and take, 'Throw Away Clothes', this gives me space to buy gifts on my return.

john

I have never ever seen this on a Princess cruise on formal nights and do not believe a Princess Maitre'd would allow it.....really???

I had never seen it before either BUT this past cruise on the Grand we sat where we could see people enter the MDR. It was quite entertaining. :D

There were jeans, tee shirts, baseball hats on men and women no less. Some looked like they just came off the soccer field watching the kids play. No one was questioned about their dress. They just don't want to deal with disgruntled passengers.

For the most part, most were nicely dressed but nothing approaching formal dress of the past. It is a time that has come and gone.

For the record, we dressed for 5 formal nights. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

I had never seen it before either BUT this past cruise on the Grand we sat where we could see people enter the MDR. It was quite entertaining. :D

There were jeans, tee shirts, baseball hats on men and women no less. Some looked like they just came off the soccer field watching the kids play. No one was questioned about their dress. They just don't want to deal with disgruntled passengers.

For the most part, most were nicely dressed but nothing approaching formal dress of the past. It is a time that has come and gone.

For the record, we dressed for 5 formal nights. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

I might have mentioned this before but on our last 29 day Princess cruise, most people were formally dressed....tux, gowns, sparkly tops and dressy skirts. But there was one guy who came to the main dining room in old worn out bib overalls!! He looked like he was ready to plow the fields! He was allowed in....never saw him turned away.

...We have also been on 3 night Princess cruises--zero formal nights...Required formal nights would NOT be a big seller for most people.

On our recent 4-nighter on the Ruby out of LA (San Pedro), pre-cruise documents said "smart casual" for all 4 nights, but they changed one to "dress to impress" after we boarded. It turned out to essentially be a non-mandatory formal night, so those that wanted to dress up and have pics taken could do so.

I suspect this is what X is doing, and my guess is it will be adopted by Princess (and others) fleetwide eventually, in place of mandatory formal nights.

Apparently you aren't over 6 foot, and 260 lbs, and priced rentals online. You have to keep a suitcase under 50 lbs or pay overweight charges. It is a hardship, for larger people, as our clothes weight more than those in the 5 foot range.

Yes, that plus a pair of size 12 shoes that will take up 1/4 of a medium sized suitcase and they would only be worn twice, regardless if wearing a tux or a dark suit.

OXO, A tux for $100??? Oh my.

My husband has about a dozen beautiful suits and probably 50+ ties but sometimes he just doesn't want to pack one and doesn't want to deal with formal nights. Totally OK with me. He's packing a dark suit for our upcoming cruise. It's 15 days and we don't have to fly.

Edited by iceleven

Yes, that plus a pair of size 12 shoes that will take up 1/4 of a medium sized suitcase and they would only be worn twice, regardless if wearing a tux or a dark suit.

OXO, A tux for $100??? Oh my.

My husband has about a dozen beautiful suits and probably 50+ ties but sometimes he just doesn't want to pack one and doesn't want to deal with formal nights. Totally OK with me. He's packing a dark suit for our upcoming cruise. It's 15 days and we don't have to fly.

Did you mean 12 shoes or size 12? LOL Sorry, I wear 10 and they don't take up so much space. Yes, a tux for $100. What he wears is up to him. However, why have a dozen beautiful suits and probably 50+ ties and not want to wear them? Maybe he is saving them for Princess' Chic which I hope never happens. If it does, then we can all wear our jeans and muscle shirts. LOL

We like to dress up, but I have no problem with smart casual. What I personally have a problem with is lack of enforcement. On our recent four night cruise shorts were allowed every night, and they didn't need to be nice shorts. Saw a guy one night in athletic shorts and a tank top. Also ball caps. Did it ruin my cruise, no, I just feel like there are still a lot of us that enjoy the experience of dining on a cruise. If Princess wants to get this lax, then please do what NCL does and have one dining room where the dress code is enforced and one that is "whatever".

Oh yes...it has happened. We cruise the Caribbean every year, late 815 traditional dining and I can honestly say our last three trips there was a handful of gentlemen in jeans and tshirts, or jeans and a button down, now I will let you know that each of these guys were younger, and it very well may have been their first cruise so they didn't really know...or they could care less.

Now I'm not one who normally gets all dressed up when going out to dinner here at home, but I do adhere to the standards that Princess sets around dining. Not sure what I am going to do with these fancy beaded gowns I've acquired if formal nights are retired.

Edited by karabear15

We like to dress up, but I have no problem with smart casual. What I personally have a problem with is lack of enforcement. On our recent four night cruise shorts were allowed every night, and they didn't need to be nice shorts. Saw a guy one night in athletic shorts and a tank top. Also ball caps. Did it ruin my cruise, no, I just feel like there are still a lot of us that enjoy the experience of dining on a cruise. If Princess wants to get this lax, then please do what NCL does and have one dining room where the dress code is enforced and one that is "whatever".

It's up to the cruise lines to enforce their own dress codes, whatever the particular dress code is, and the mainstream cruise lines don't enforce. They are either afraid to offend anyone or don't care or both.

Did you mean 12 shoes or size 12? LOL Sorry, I wear 10 and they don't take up so much space. Yes, a tux for $100. What he wears is up to him. However, why have a dozen beautiful suits and probably 50+ ties and not want to wear them? Maybe he is saving them for Princess' Chic which I hope never happens. If it does, then we can all wear our jeans and muscle shirts. LOL

Yes, size 12 shoes. I can put my shoes inside of his, when necessary. As for wearing all those suits and ties, they become a "uniform" when having to wear them to work and they are associated with work to many businessmen. Not having to wear a suit and tie, while on vacation, is a real treat for many itineraries.

I think you are confused as to what "chic" dress-style is. It is neither suits, shorts, or muscle shirts. ;)

Edited by iceleven

I would say that 99.99% adhere to the "dress code", but there was that one guy on our last 29 day Princess cruise who wore denim overalls every night in the MDR! :eek: I never saw him turned away, not that I stood there to watch....but followed him in on several occasions. :rolleyes:

I would say that 99.99% adhere to the "dress code", but there was that one guy on our last 29 day Princess cruise who wore denim overalls every night in the MDR! :eek: I never saw him turned away, not that I stood there to watch....but followed him in on several occasions. :rolleyes:

Maybe I misunderstood......I thought the person was talking about T-shirts and jeans on Fomal Nights.....I have seen very casual dress on other nights.....

Yes, size 12 shoes. I can put my shoes inside of his, when necessary. As for wearing all those suits and ties, they become a "uniform" when having to wear them to work and they are associated with work to many businessmen. Not having to wear a suit and tie, while on vacation, is a real treat for many itineraries.

I think you are confused as to what "chic" dress-style is. It is neither suits, shorts, or muscle shirts. ;)

Personally, I know and I am not confused. I am a professional, dressed as a professional. Does that mean that now since I am on vacation I don't need to dress as a professional because I am on vacation? Sorry, you have your opinion and I have mine. What is:

casual

smart casual

business casual

Country club casual

elegant casual

chic?

It is all the same - dress as you like and make excuses for what you want it to be.

When I see you walk by I will take no notice of you as I really don't care what you or anyone else wears.

Just don't try to justify why you don't take this or that or pack this or that. You paid for your vacation. I paid for mine. Enjoy yours and I will enjoy mine.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, when you see that person sitting across from you in a t-shirt or muscle shirt, remember what the new code is. It is a suggestion not a requirement. LOL

If you consider a suit a 'uniform' then you have never been in the USA military, police, firemen, or others who really wear a uniform and serve proudly.

Thank you all who have served our country in a uniform proudly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Oxo

Personally, I know and I am not confused. I am a professional, dressed as a professional. Does that mean that now since I am on vacation I don't need to dress as a professional because I am on vacation? Sorry, you have your opinion and I have mine. What is:

casual

smart casual

business casual

Country club casual

elegant casual

chic?

It is all the same - dress as you like and make excuses for what you want it to be.

When I see you walk by I will take no notice of you as I really don't care what you or anyone else wears.

Just don't try to justify why you don't take this or that or pack this or that. You paid for your vacation. I paid for mine. Enjoy yours and I will enjoy mine.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, when you see that person sitting across from you in a t-shirt or muscle shirt, remember what the new code is. It is a suggestion not a requirement. LOL

If you consider a suit a 'uniform' then you have never been in the USA military, police, firemen, or others who really wear a uniform and serve proudly.

Thank you all who have served our country in a uniform proudly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I apologize if my words seemed as I was implying you didn't know the difference. Perhaps we were talking about two different comments. By the way, my husband, who sometimes regards a suit is like a uniform, especially while on a tropical vacation, was in the military and was in fact a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy. A VERY handsome man in his uniform, too. ;) Another reason to give some of the guys some slack.

I apologize if my words seemed as I was implying you didn't know the difference. Perhaps we were talking about two different comments. By the way, my husband, who sometimes regards a suit is like a uniform, especially while on a tropical vacation, was in the military and was in fact a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy. A VERY handsome man in his uniform, too. ;) Another reason to give some of the guys some slack.

Fully accept your apology and I do so too. I guess this is a very hot topic. Enjoy your cruise!!!