No cruise-thoughts for me please

luvcruisn'

Oh Marnie, I'm sending healing thoughts and lots of prayers for you and your caregivers that everything will be well. Take care my friend, and let us know how you are, please.

((Cyber hugs)) coming your way.

Gerry

I couldn't take my annual long cruise this year as I was recently diagnosed with cancer. Having surgery today' date=' and I am very scared. Please keep me in your thoughts. Thanks, Marnie[/quote']

Oh, Marnie, sometimes I think some questions are meant directly for me. I had surgery for cancer in April, chemo over the summer. Not a good oncologist but lucked out with my new primary care physician who was not only informative, she went through it last year (and she had hair, something that meant a lot to me as I was about to lose mine). She told me I would "lose this year" and I immediately thought "No I won't, there will be at least one outstanding good thing." Within a week I booked a cruise - and although there were several times I thought I would have to cancel, I leave Sunday - and I decided I would not cancel but reschedule (I know HAL and insurance would not necessarily see it that way, but that was the thought I kept in my head).

It's a short cruise, rest/relaxation/recovery for me and a reward for DS, who rose to the challenge and saw me through it, even when I didn't want to. Every time he drove me to chemo, I told him I didn't want to go through it again, and every time he said "We'll get through it." We. An amazing word, no?

Another thing I did was enlist a friend to help me put a "light at the end of the tunnel" - she owns a salon and spa in another state (I created and maintain her web site) and I will be going to visit her for "the works" (including a new hair style) sometime next year. In fact, she's in the northwest and I'm thinking of adding an Alaskan cruise to that trip.

I am still very tired/fatigued and won't be running around on shore excursions on my cruise next week. I have barely any hair and will be wearing a wig (hate it), hats or scarves. Eating at a 2 top because I really don't have the stamina to socialize (different strokes for different folks - some people would thrive on it). This cruise will be different, for sure. And this year will not be lost.

What I hope I am giving you is some strategy and strength (everyone said I was so strong and I felt so weak...). Figure out who you can count on, set up a light at the end of your tunnel, find your strength (it may find you), and remember, like so many on this thread have told you, you will be in my thoughts. Best wishes for you.

Edited by bcd2010

Oh, Marnie, sometimes I think some questions are meant directly for me. I had surgery for cancer in April, chemo over the summer. Not a good oncologist but lucked out with my new primary care physician who was not only informative, she went through it last year (and she had hair, something that meant a lot to me as I was about to lose mine). She told me I would "lose this year" and I immediately thought "No I won't, there will be at least one outstanding good thing." Within a week I booked a cruise - and although there were several times I thought I would have to cancel, I leave Sunday - and I decided I would not cancel but reschedule (I know HAL and insurance would not necessarily see it that way, but that was the thought I kept in my head).

It's a short cruise, rest/relaxation/recovery for me and a reward for DS, who rose to the challenge and saw me through it, even when I didn't want to. Every time he drove me to chemo, I told him I didn't want to go through it again, and every time he said "We'll get through it." We. An amazing word, no?

Another thing I did was enlist a friend to help me put a "light at the end of the tunnel" - she owns a salon and spa in another state (I created and maintain her web site) and I will be going to visit her for "the works" (including a new hair style) sometime next year. In fact, she's in the northwest and I'm thinking of adding an Alaskan cruise to that trip.

I am still very tired/fatigued and won't be running around on shore excursions on my cruise next week. I have barely any hair and will be wearing a wig (hate it), hats or scarves. Eating at a 2 top because I really don't have the stamina to socialize (different strokes for different folks - some people would thrive on it). This cruise will be different, for sure. And this year will not be lost.

What I hope I am giving you is some strategy and strength (everyone said I was so strong and I felt so weak...). Figure out who you can count on, set up a light at the end of your tunnel, find your strength (it may find you), and remember, like so many on this thread have told you, you will be in my thoughts. Best wishes for you.

Barbara,

What a wonderful post.

Sounds like you are doing really well. Your attitude is the best.

Hope your cruise gives you restorative rest and cheers you as you continue to recover. Wishing you the Very Best. :)

Barbara,

What a wonderful post.

Sounds like you are doing really well. Your attitude is the best.

Hope your cruise gives you restorative rest and cheers you as you continue to recover. Wishing you the Very Best. :)

Thank you. One thing I have an amplified appreciation for is kind &/ thoughtful words - they mean more than I ever thought possible.

Marnie, we don't know each other, but I want you to know that you are in our prayers, as well as the prayers of so many others. May you feel yourself surrounded by these prayers, and know that God holds you in the palm of his hands, and will look after your every needi

Dear Marnie:

I hope your surgery went well and today you start the road to recovery. It's not easy but trusting you have the best of care around you.

I was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in August. After two rounds of Chemo I had surgery 3 weeks ago. I still face 6 more rounds of Chemo. It's a long road for sure but I will get through it!

Call me crazy but we are still cruising on 12/5 - between Chemo sessions. This cruise was booked over a year ago and from the get-go I told the doctor that it meant everything for me to go. (She said we would work around it.) Both our son and his GF are sailing with us and it's something we have looked forward to for so long. This has kept me going through some tough days.

As soon as you feel better get yourself booked and start looking forward to a great vacation. We may not even get off the ship but I think there's healing powers in sea air alone! At least I don't have to worry about gaining weight this time around!

Hope you are well soon and I send you all my best thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how you are when you are able.

You are in my prayers. Until you are back on a real ship, I suggest you do what athletes do and use the visualisation technique. A ship , the ocean and your favorite ports are wonderful places to send your mind. Close your eyes and make a scenario of you walking around the ship, doing your favorite things. Try to see all the details in the decor, remember the sounds , the textures of the chairs, the bedding etc. , the smell of the fresh air and some exotics ports. Also to keep your mind occupied on positive and beautiful things, concentrate on deciding the top three of all the categories you can think of; best ports, best excursion, best meal, best cabin, best show, best embarkation procedure, funniest moment, etc, etc.

I am hoping that this is what we call the "cut for the cure" and that you get clear margins worth no need for chemo or radiation after. I have been fighting cancer for 3 years now and continue to cruise through chemo and everything else. We schedule trips as motivation to help me get through this. Having something to look forward to and aim for really helps. :)

Good luck and may you hear the phrase NED (no evidence of disease) in your future.

I couldn't take my annual long cruise this year as I was recently diagnosed with cancer. Having surgery today' date=' and I am very scared. Please keep me in your thoughts. Thanks, Marnie[/quote']

Sending good and positive thoughts to you from the other side of the world. I hope your surgery has been a complete success and that it won't be too long until you're cruising again.

Take care,

Ozcruizer