a la carte changes already for escape?

LMaxwell

If NCL charges for Margaritaville which is really not much more than a buffet....like Flamingo Grill on Getaway... what's left that will be included in the cruise fare? Just the buffet and some average food in the Manhattan Room, Taste and Savor? Getting tired of all the extra charges and regretting that I have 2 future cruise certificates to use up or I might just cash one in and go for Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. To compare cruises, I really have to include the cost of specialty dining and everything else.

To be fair Margaritaville is not a buffet like the Flamingo Grill but apparently more similar to Johnny Rockets on RCCL. From the reports I have read you actually order off a menu and it is supposedly prepared to order. Not that this justifies the change from complimentary to a fee if it indeed does happen but something to be noted. I still am very disappointed if this does happen as it has been advertised as a free venue from right out the gate.

I guess I can only say that if this is the future of cruising-one price to step foot on the ship, and everything else a la carte down to burgers and fries, my cruise career is going to end as suddenly as it started. If I want to hemorrhage money on an hourly basis like that I'll go to WDW. Or I will go with the higher end lines that hold out and remain reasonably all inclusive. I suspect the math will be a wash at this point.

I've read a few reviews that stated that there were 30-90 minute waits to get into Margaritaville. Wonder if that is the reason for this new charge? Perhaps it's more popular than they anticipated and so they are trying to cut back on some of the crowds by charging a small fee?

Understandable, but disappointing all the same.

I ate lunch there 7 out of 10 days on the TA, and breakfast there 3 times. It was completely dead most of the time. There were only waits the last 2 or 3 days.

I was surprised at the quality of food compared to, let's say, O'Sheehans. It was 5 steps above. (I think I've eaten my weight in conch fritters). I can't imagine how they'd continue offering this as a complimentary spot, although I hope they do.

This will be the final straw with NCL for me if true. Margarettaville has been listed as complementary since inception. If that changes so will my future cruise line choice. Change happens, but this would be nothing short of swindling.

6&8

This is a little upsetting. I booked my cruise a long time ago, and this venue was advertised as being complimentary. It doesnt seem fair at all.

if this really happens before my nov/21/2015 cruise I wont be eating there, not because the money but as a principle. i wont support this NCL bad move. and i will be promoting a boicot from CC members, and who knows, they might reverted as they did months ago with the NO TAKE OUT FOOD issue.

very disappointing, because this is one of the new places we are planning to visit.

Edited by teseo

If there are any changes made during the upcoming 3-nighter (departing 11/11), I'll post that info here on this thread.

Don - Why not just ask at the CC Crew Meet and Greet? I imagine some people responsible for that function will be there. At least then won't be speculation or what some bartender said.

I guess I can only say that if this is the future of cruising-one price to step foot on the ship, and everything else a la carte down to burgers and fries, my cruise career is going to end as suddenly as it started. If I want to hemorrhage money on an hourly basis like that I'll go to WDW. Or I will go with the higher end lines that hold out and remain reasonably all inclusive. I suspect the math will be a wash at this point.

I think I'm with you.

I got off the Escape yesterday - according to the staff at Margaritaville starting w/ the first 7 night cruise it will be a $4.95pp cover charge and all food included. The food was very good and service excellent.

That´s what the waitress on the pre inaugural out of Hamburg said too. 4.95 USD cover charge.

But no mention of that on the menus.

steamboats

That´s what the waitress on the pre inaugural out of Hamburg said too. 4.95 USD cover charge.

steamboats

If that's the case - than the decision was made well before the "long waits" of the TA. [emoji37]

Can you say bait and switch?? [emoji17]

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantaCruiser72 View Post

I got off the Escape yesterday - according to the staff at Margaritaville starting w/ the first 7 night cruise it will be a $4.95pp cover charge and all food included. The food was very good and service excellent.

steamboats

I might use $4.95 from my complementary OBC but I wouldn't pay land based prices.

The food in Margaritaville has never been that good. The atmosphere was good but I guess you can get that at 5 o'clock somewhere.

A non confirmed, non issue, that's not worth the paper it's not written on ;-)

I really don't think anything has happened in the past couple of weeks to change NCLs plans. If they really are charging soon then I suspect they have been planning it for a while

Has this actually been confirmed anyway?

Surely NCL is too smart to have planned this bait and switch all along. Surely they know it is a terrible PR move. Are they really that tone deaf? But if not pre planned, then the only explaination I can come up with is that this is a very ill advised snap decision made by some bean counter who realized they had a hit on their hands and felt the need to capitalize on it.

I lean toward the snap decision theory. They have a history for it. Remember the take out ban debacle? And the flip flop on the new a la carte venues if that turns out to be true?:rolleyes:. Please NCL, just slow down, take a breath and think things through. This is embarrassing.

I've read a few reviews that stated that there were 30-90 minute waits to get into Margaritaville. Wonder if that is the reason for this new charge? Perhaps it's more popular than they anticipated and so they are trying to cut back on some of the crowds by charging a small fee?

Understandable, but disappointing all the same.

The tasters were/are not representative, shorter opening hours and a crowd hungry for hamburgers and beer.

But the venue IS popular, with the pre cruise crowd on CC and presumably with all other cruisers as it was widely advertised by NCL.

On the Hamburg - Southampton leg I saw management running around, lines growing, had to wait a while for our food so could be indeed a move to lower the pressure on staff/kitchen (and first reviews coming out..).

If this board were a newspaper or TV show, the above threads would be condemned as nothing short of irresponsible yellow journalism. Until it's shown to be true, it's just hearsay and rumor.

Everyone has the right to express themselves. But to get all tied up in knots over a rumor is premature.

Let's wait for facts, shall we?

This will be the final straw with NCL for me if true. Margarettaville has been listed as complementary since inception. If that changes so will my future cruise line choice. Change happens, but this would be nothing short of swindling.

6&8

enjoy your new cruise line when you decide which one it will be.

Respectfully, but as far as I know NCL never sends out emails when they change something from "included" to "a la carte".

For one thing, it would be a lot of emails.

do hotels, airlines, other cruise lines, etc send out emails?

Now, whether this will become another charge still remains to be seen, but if it does, this sucks. I doubt we would bother to eat there or if we did, maybe once.I doubt we will continue to eat at the specialty restaurants either except for the 2 free nights we get for being platium.

Edited by newmexicoNita

January 2nd will be our first cruise with NCL, on the Escape, and I have seen nothing but price increases and unfavourable changes since we booked. This is very disconcerting as the ship hasn't even had its first official sailing yet. I have been trying to familiarize myself with the Escape and it's amenities, but its difficult to keep track when there's one modification after another. As one new to NCL to begin with, it's a little overwhelming and there's still just over a month and a half to go. I'm hoping that the prices stabilize long enough that I can figure out what's going on. Just when I think I have a handle on it, something else gets adjusted. I hope it stops soon.

If that's the case - than the decision was made well before the "long waits" of the TA.

That´s been said on Oct 23rd with the ship still being docked in Hamburg. We were taking photos and another lady asked the waitress about this restaurant. To my surprise the answer was that ´s its free during the pre inaugural and will be 4.95 USD. We had lunch there later that day. I checked when I was back home writing my review and didn´t find a hint about any cover charge but that it´s complimentary. Onboard I already thought I haven´t made my homework correctly when the waitress was talking about the cover charge. Now it makes sense...

steamboats

Edited by steamboats