new to navigator

shawsie

I sailed on the Navigator this fall and everything was fine.

She is smaller than the Mariner and Voyager and very different in configuration.

Also, she goes into dry dock on March 31 for 2 weeks in Barcelona for what I understand will be major renovations.

That timing sounds like the end of your cruise.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

Hi our first cruise on Navigator was 2009 and second was last year. Yes there are the issues of vibration but we didn't find it an issue for us, we were mid ships both times. I have found it comfortable and the most friendly atmosphere on board.

Dining venues are smaller, but we didn't really have many issues, busiest time was lunch in Le Verahnda, but they use the Prime 7 restaurant to accommodate any waiting guests.

The Navigator bar is very popular all day and early evening, and our last cruise Stars lounge was the place for pre dinner drinks with a good atmosphere.

Hope you all have a wonderful cruise, Jean.

we chose this ship specifically for the size and look forward to having a quiet time. We were most concerned with the state of the ship. Given the cost our expectations are clearly higher than a much larger mass market cruise. I suppose what I am really asking is if Navigator is up to par ,as far as quality goes ,with Mariner

We just did the 21 day trip from San Francisco to New York on Navigator in Sept. The staff was phenomel, we found the food just fine, the service really good, and even though in general because of the lack of an observation lounge it is not our favorite ship, we had a fantastic time and met some wonderful people. We did note that until the show was out around 10pm night life was non existent, but once the show was out, things livened up. We were with our own group, but we found ourselves meeting other travelers and enjoying some fun times with new friends.

Go, enjoy and just have a wonderful trip.

It's been a few years since we were on Navigator (2009 and 2011, actually) and I'm pretty sure that one of those was right before a scheduled drydock. I had the same concerns, 'what will she look like right before a refurb' and 'will she look ratty and threadbare' - turns out my fears were unfounded, and to this day the Navigator is one of my favorite ships. I wouldn't hesitate to sail any of Regent's ships before a drydock. Just my opinion.

With the help of the ShipMates app and Google, I found that:

We sailed on Navigator in July 2009, she went into drydock Dec 2009.

We sailed on Navigator in May 2011, she went into drydock May 2012.

So our two sailings were 4 months and 12 months before refurbs and we didn't notice any issues. Anyone, please feel free to correct me on any Navigator drydock dates...

we chose this ship specifically for the size and look forward to having a quiet time. We were most concerned with the state of the ship. Given the cost our expectations are clearly higher than a much larger mass market cruise. I suppose what I am really asking is if Navigator is up to par ,as far as quality goes ,with Mariner

Although I haven't been on Navigator I recently looked into booking a Miami to Miami cruise at Christmas on this ship. My travel agent, who has a great deal of experience with RSSC, quickly steered us away saying that the Navigator has had a great deal of problems lately and he would not recommend her until she has gone back into dry dock. Instead he steered us to a Rio to Miami Christmas cruise on Mariner.

Although I haven't been on Navigator I recently looked into booking a Miami to Miami cruise at Christmas on this ship. My travel agent, who has a great deal of experience with RSSC, quickly steered us away saying that the Navigator has had a great deal of problems lately and he would not recommend her until she has gone back into dry dock. Instead he steered us to a Rio to Miami Christmas cruise on Mariner.

Could you perhaps elaborate on what kinds of problems your TA is referring to? We're booked on her next summer and I'd be interested to know what kinds of issues the ship has that can be remedied in a 2-week drydock - it's usually just soft goods that are redone in a 2-week span, no? Do you have any specifics you could share?

Thanks!

Bill

Could you perhaps elaborate on what kinds of problems your TA is referring to? We're booked on her next summer and I'd be interested to know what kinds of issues the ship has that can be remedied in a 2-week drydock - it's usually just soft goods that are redone in a 2-week span, no? Do you have any specifics you could share?

Thanks!

Bill

This is what I was told by my TA:

"I would stay away from the Navigator right now. She is going into a big dry dock in April and then everything should be good but she is having some issues right now with cabins flooding and AC/ Heat not working the best. The Mariner cruise would be a better choice. Of course if you want the Navigator I will gladly book it but don’t blame me."

Hope this helps. My TA specializes in RSSC as a Certified Regent Cruise Consultant

With the help of the ShipMates app and Google, I found that:

We sailed on Navigator in July 2009, she went into drydock Dec 2009.

We sailed on Navigator in May 2011, she went into drydock May 2012.

So our two sailings were 4 months and 12 months before refurbs and we didn't notice any issues. Anyone, please feel free to correct me on any Navigator drydock dates...

Thanks so much for giving a heads up about the app -- really impressive:)

You made some good points about the Navigator and her prior drydock's. The difference now is that it has been over 3 years since her last drydock. and it will be close to 4 years by the time she is refurbished next year. While the onboard experience is the same all the time, people sailing on her before she is refurbished may find the ship itself looking a bit old and tired.

IMO, if you lower your expectations just a bit in terms of the ship itself, you can have a wonderful time on the Navigator. Those sailing on her after drydock will experience the amazing transformation of this beautiful little ship.

Edited by Travelcat2

Wow, that's a shame. I am currently 14 days into a 24 night voyage on the Navigator and have not heard of, nor experienced any problems thus far.

There are some areas where the carpet is showing wear, but that's about the extent of the downside. Service and food has been top notch, and we are very happy cruisers at the moment.

According to the on board cruise consultant, the drydock next year will be a major one with all the non-upper suites getting a major refurb as well as Compass Rose and some lounges, including Galileos, will completely look different.

"I would stay away from the Navigator right now. She is going into a big dry dock in April and then everything should be good but she is having some issues right now with cabins flooding and AC/ Heat not working the best. The Mariner cruise would be a better choice. Of course if you want the Navigator I will gladly book it but don’t blame me."

Hope this helps. My TA specializes in RSSC as a Certified Regent Cruise Consultant

Wow. Yeah, I'd heard a few stories of brown watter and wet carpets, and weak AC as well, but never to the extent that a TA would blanket slam the entire ship...as I said, I've heard some of those things but have never encountered them, nor have I met any who had. I'm sure there have been issues, but I'd hate to miss a great cruise based on that.

Wow. Yeah, I'd heard a few stories of brown watter and wet carpets, and weak AC as well, but never to the extent that a TA would blanket slam the entire ship...as I said, I've heard some of those things but have never encountered them, nor have I met any who had. I'm sure there have been issues, but I'd hate to miss a great cruise based on that.

We haven't met but we have had issues on the Navigator that will hopefully be fixed next year (not considering the aft vibration an issue as it is easy to avoid aft suites). The issues were not horrible but we decided that we could have a great cruise on the Mariner or Voyager without the issues that the Navigator has (plus the other ships have the wonderful forward Observation Lounge that does not exist on the Navigator).

Regent cruisers will have even greater choices when the Explorer debuts next year. Instead of the Navigator being in the Caribbean every winter, the Explorer will spend at least one winter there. After "Caribbean season", the Explorer will be in Europe, the Voyager will be finishing up their Asian itineraries and I suppose the Mariner will be in Alaska and then South America. I see that the Navigator will be in South Africa next year which makes me even more excited that we will be there on the Mariner later this month.

IMO, the Navigator is a wonderful entry level ship for new passengers. Some of their itineraries are less $$$ than the other ships yet the smallest suites are larger than suites on the Mariner which is a big plus. New passengers will not miss Signatures (soon to be Chartreuse) on the Navigator since they have not experienced that dining venue yet.

I realize that some Regent passengers love the Navigator which is why it is such a money maker. We have not sailed on the Navigator for a few years but would consider it IF the itinerary was unique and it was after dry dock.

I hate to see people denigrating the Navigator.

She is the oldest - and smallest - of the 3 current RSSC ships, the standard cabins are exactly the same size as the ones on the Voyager and the set-up is one central corridor on most cabin decks - again like the Voyager - an arrangement I prefer to the double corridors on the Mariner. Much "friendlier".

I did have a wet carpet in September/October due to the very large storm in the Carolinas before I boarded but it was taken care of with one of the large fans. No brown water (never have had any in the 3-4 times I've been on board). Is she due for dry dock? Sure - it's been several years and the Navigator is the ship to be used for the first World Cruise in 2017, the first in something like 5 years.

One advantage of her size is that she can get into ports which larger ships cannot - and I am not talking about the huge ships but many which are called "mid-sized".

The Officers/Staff/Crew are terrific, the food was outstanding in all the venues. No complaints at all.

I don't post very often but really felt that with some people knocking the Navigator, I thought it was time to speak up.

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser

You go, peggy!, Martha and I don't consider ourselves entry level and have been on all three ( sorry ,three of four)ships. we love the small size of the ship and the relative size of the cabins( esp. on the entry level). I will overlook the spots on the carpet since I probably did some of them myself!

Looking forward to all the sea days, Block parties, good books on kindle, and oogling(sp) all the pretty ladies, that Martha lets me think she doesn't know I,m doing.

We will be in Suite 936, sorry, cabin, and stand prepared to buy drinks, salted peanuts, and other free goods! March 17-31 TA.

While Navigator has some issues, it remains my second favorite of the current Regent ships. Voyager is my favorite, Mariner my least favorite. And that is only because of the smaller standard cabins on Mariner. Having said that, we have sailed the most days on Mariner.

I love the Navigator cabins. Fortunately never have had the brown water issue or any flooding. And the vibration has not been a problem for us, though you can feel it toward the stern of the ship. We just book a forward cabin.

We will be in Suite 936, sorry, cabin, and stand prepared to buy drinks, salted peanuts, and other free goods! March 17-31 TA.

We sailed in 932 once; it's a nice, spacious cabin and a good location (as long as people don't party too far into the night on the pool deck). Matter of fact, that was our first Regent cruise - and we haven't looked back! :D

I have to agree we have had no issues with the brown water or AC problems. I have read about the problems on this site.

It certainly does not seem like entry level cruise to neither does the price.

We would have no hesitation booking another cruise on Navigator. It feels comfortable and friendly as soon as you step on board.

We were on the Navigator in October on the SF to NYC cruise and got caught up in Hurricane Linda. We were rocking and rolling for a couple of days and skipped our Cabo San Lucas port. The swells were high and there were some cabins that had water come in through the balcony getting the carpet damp next to the sliding door. We were in #635 and didn't have dampness as our room steward was quick to lay down towels next to the slider. Of course, Hurricane Linda wasn't any fault of the Navigator.

With that said, I thought the food, service and condition of the ship was just fine, no brown water that I'm aware of and our AC worked great too. Perhaps the TA talked to unhappy cruisers who had been on our cruise?

Knowing that it a smaller ship without an observation lounge, I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Navigator...just don't book an aft cabin if you might be sensitive to vibration and you should have a great cruise. :)

Edited by petlover

Marcie - you meant Sept right? As I know we were on the same cruise:D

Actually Hurricane Linda did not cause any wet carpet issues, it was the nor'easter off the Carolina's from Charleston to New York that caused that, and yes we did have some water coming in from the balcony under the sliding doors on the starboard side, according to our room attendents most of the cabins on the starboard side had a problem, but the storm was blowing east to west and we had literally over a foot of water on the balcony on the last day, it was unavoidable.....and the staff was on top of it immediately putting towels down and bringing in fans and machines to suck the water up. It did not cause us any issues other than as Marcie said some damp carpet by the door, also as Marcie said, the storm was certainly not the fault of the Navigator, it was an unusual situation. and it was only on the very last day of the cruise, so it was never an ongoing issue.