Cruising with Atrial Fibrillation

cats36

Honestly, a cruise is probably one of the safest trips you can take.

There is at least one physician plus several Registered Nurses available at all times, all with Advanced Cardiac Life Support training plus the necessary medications and equipment on every ship.

Get your physician's approval to travel, then go out and have fun!

It's safer than flying check with your cardiologist and if it's well controlled and you are compliant with your meds I can't see why not think it would be a more relaxing holiday than a long hale flight

A lot of merit in that- my cardiologist gave me a list of admonitions and restrictions for flying; for cruising he just says to make sure I bring my 'emergency' meds, and to follow my proscribed routine if I have an episode. He also assured me that the medical team on a ship will be able to take care of me if I need their help.

DW has AFib that was first detected in late 2011 when she had a stroke. Fourteen months later we were on a twenty-one day cruise with the full blessing of her cardiologist. She's on meds for the AFib and we've cruised a half-dozen times since.

I have paradoxyl afib. I actually had an attack on a ship in 2012. The medical care was excellent. Senior doctor at my bedside for 2 hours in the early hours of the morning. I was given intravenous drugs but they didn't work. I flipped back to a normal rhythm then next morning. The doctor said they could do a cardio version if necessary. I was in the medical centre overnight and I felt much safer than in A&E here at home.

If your doctor says you are fit to cruise then go for it. Make sure that you declare the condition to insurers. My overnight bill was £1200 on the ship.

Val

Been on 3 cruises with blessing of cardiologist. He even said I could dive to 25'. I haven't tried that but skin dived. Been fine just made sure I had my meds. Stuck to schedule.

What put a big damper in my last cruise I forgot my inhaler and should of gone down immediately. I got one and it helped. I was basically back on track. I think if you need sea sick med. Bonine is best but ask doc. I have never needed it. If diet is a concern talk to dinning room.

My Majesty cruise maybe 1st one with sleep apena gear or Brilliance! Unless I get out in December but I doubt that. Wished I hadn't canned Indy or that I had followed through on 1 of my Halloween plans. Maybe my car wouldn't be in the shop totally tore up!

Just check with Doc. Follow same med schedule and such as you do on land. Just don't try to do all in 1 day. Make sure you don't climb several flights of stairs after muster. Maybe before they call muster you are on that deck or close. If you think boarding might be too stressful walking get wheelchair. Have a great cruise and lots of fun, and don't forget the sun tan lotion[emoji41].

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Many people have AF and don't know it. Others it can affect them a lot.

As said before have a talk to your GP and if there's any concerns also get advice from your cardiologist. This is general advice for anything not just going on a cruise.

@happy trailer ... Welcome back Ruth. Any way to contact you?

We are cruising from Puerto Rico in Dec. and my DH is worried because my Afib is not well controlled. Seeing my cardiologist tomorrow. Hoping he gives me thumbs up! Joyce

I am very sorry you are having troubles controling your A fib! I hope they find a good combo! I hope you get to have your cruise.

Many people have AF and don't know it. Others it can affect them a lot.

As said before have a talk to your GP and if there's any concerns also get advice from your cardiologist. This is general advice for anything not just going on a cruise.

@happy trailer ... Welcome back Ruth. Any way to contact you?

I will forward. Link in signature.

I have viral cardiomyopathy with a defibrillator and a pacemaker doing a lot of work my own heart won't. I have gone on three cruises since and enjoyed each one. I was checked out thoroughly by my cardiologist who gave me his blessing and was told what I could and couldn't do. My daughters were concerned that having to declare my special "machinery" instead of going through the security checks might create embarrassment or a problem for me, but the ship's officers were extremely polite and wonderful. Go have a great time. If it's okay with the doctor, it's going to be fine.

I have AFib that is so dispersed around the heart that after several ablations (one convergent ablation...a relatively new approach) the made me dependent on the pacemaker/defibrillator installed several years ago. The only trip my cardiologist said I could not make was one that included a tour of the Hoover Dam.

Since then we did take a tour that included a stop at the Hoover Dam...I just stayed on the bus.

On the up side...I normally get through security faster than anyone as they usually do a hand search as magnetometers and wands are a no-no.

Edited by TC1957

I have had Afib for many years. Tried an ablation once but the Afib returned. I have taken many cruises with no worries from my doctors. My Afib is well controlled with my medications. Probably the most important thing to do before you cruise is to make sure you have your INR blood work done to be sure your anti-coagulation levels are where they need to be. Other than that cruising should be no problem as long as your doctors agree.

Might anyone had an issue with Toprol-XL? What might you have replaced it with? Did it not cause issues?

I have used Toprol-XL and I have had beyond the worst time with it! I am finding a new cardiologist that will help recognize my issues. Find work around of the Toprol-XL.

Might anyone had an issue with Toprol-XL? What might you have replaced it with? Did it not cause issues?

I have used Toprol-XL and I have had beyond the worst time with it! I am finding a new cardiologist that will help recognize my issues. Find work around of the Toprol-XL.

Metoprolol 50 mg twice a day?

Carvedilol?

Sotalol?