Looking for Cruise deal with "kids sail for free"

JimInBuffalo

We have been on many cruises in the past 30 years but next summer we are planning for our first cruise with our three grand kids (without their parents). Ideally, we would like to get a room which will fit us all. The kids are 11,9,and 7 years old.

I have seen ads for "kids sail free" and "3rd and 4th passengers go free" but most are for cruises that sail within the next 2-5 months. We are looking to go in July or August 2016, preferably from a port in the New York area. Bayonne is our first choice.

I have checked with two travel agents (online) and get the same response: Nothing is available at this time, wait til you get closer to the date. Well, since we need to plan the trip around their other activities, we want to get a reservation nailed down early.

I would like to know if anyone reading this thread has had the same experience and if you have sailed during the summer months, what did you pay and what deals did you TA give you?

Thanks in advance,

-Jim

Leaving in12 days for our Thanksgiving cruise on the Anthem Of The Seas.

I wish they had those deals during the summer! Unfortunately, most people with school-aged kids also want to cruise in the summer, so not only are there rarely deals, but prices can be at their highest - also why some people pull their kids from school to cruise and take advantage of low-season prices.

The one time we cruised during the summer, we booked early and watched prices rise. You may want to consider the same thing - find the cruise you want and book it.

Take a look at MSC - they are known for "kids sail free", though I don't know if they have embarkation ports anywhere near you.

Sounds like it will be a great trip!

All the best,

Mia

I would look to book your cruise while on Anthem, and would see if you can price out the Royal Family Suite. It needs minimum of 5 people to book, has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, so would be perfect. In addition, we have found that 3rd person rates in suites can be considerably less than 1st/2nd person rates. With current sale plus onboard booking OBC, it might be best deal for the RFS.

That's peak season - we sail NCL out of NYC, but I don't think I've seen them offer 3rd/4th passenger free during the summer. Your best bet is to book well in advance. We like to cruise the first week in November, when NJ schools have a few days off, and prices are low. Summer is too expensive for our family of 7.

Take a look at MSC - they are known for "kids sail free"' date=' though I don't know if they have embarkation ports anywhere near you.

[/quote']

MSC is currently only out of Miami in the U.S., and I don't believe Divina has any cabins for more than 4 pax. They are bringing the new ship (Seaside) which I would speculate will have 'family' accommodations, but I don't think she is here until 2017.

MSC also is doing a status match program, so if you happen to have a high status on some other line that may work for you. The perks are generally on par with others, but MSC gives a flat discount percentage off the base fare for loyalty club members. The flip side is that MSC status expires in the new program, so if you're not planning a cruise don't match status yet.

• 2 weeks later...
We have been on many cruises in the past 30 years but next summer we are planning for our first cruise with our three grand kids (without their parents). Ideally, we would like to get a room which will fit us all. The kids are 11,9,and 7 years old.

I have seen ads for "kids sail free" and "3rd and 4th passengers go free" but most are for cruises that sail within the next 2-5 months. We are looking to go in July or August 2016, preferably from a port in the New York area. Bayonne is our first choice.

I have checked with two travel agents (online) and get the same response: Nothing is available at this time, wait til you get closer to the date. Well, since we need to plan the trip around their other activities, we want to get a reservation nailed down early.

I would like to know if anyone reading this thread has had the same experience and if you have sailed during the summer months, what did you pay and what deals did you TA give you?

Thanks in advance,

-Jim

Leaving in12 days for our Thanksgiving cruise on the Anthem Of The Seas.

Hey Jim from Buffalo... this is Jeff from Niagara. Same thing here. We are going to try MSC next. Kids always sail free. However, I don't think they have the same "waterpark" fun as you'll find on other lines but the prices seem decent and I've heard good things about the service.

Hey Jim from Buffalo... this is Jeff from Niagara. Same thing here. We are going to try MSC next. Kids always sail free. However, I don't think they have the same "waterpark" fun as you'll find on other lines but the prices seem decent and I've heard good things about the service.

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the comment. I had never heard that about MSC before. It is worth a look. I agree, that the kids will find something to do for fun regardless of the ship.

We really want to take the kids but don't want to sink too much money into something that goes by so fast.

-Jim

I would never base a cruise on a slide for the kids....it's not like they'll be using it 24/7! If it's not there, they'll never miss it!

My kids would... And I'm not that particular about the ports. I prefer to stay aboard the ship. If I want to experience a port, I'll book a resort and go for a week or two. When I cruise, I go for the ship and I'm a kid at heart so I'll be on the slides almost as much as the kids... :D

MSC Divina does have a slide, though not nearly so spectacular as on Carnival and NCL. It is called the Teen Toboga, but I didn't see anyone there asking ages...

P1050071_zpsj0gm5g4i.jpg

P1050074_zpsup0ppp7v.jpg

P1050067_zpsthptj7jw.jpg

P1050085_zpsehvrtgnt.jpg

If you go to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com, pull up MSC Divina, and then click on the different decks, run your mouse over the camera icons and see more pictures of the pools and kids areas. Many of them were taken by me. EM

I too was going to suggest MSC.

They leave out of Miami and their kid club gets good reviews. Do note that it isn't "kids sail free" it's "kids usually sail free" so the deal may not apply to summer. Also there is an age limit which your oldest grandchildren may not qualify for.

Any chance you can change your dates? You'd have a better chance of finding a deal if you don't sail in June, July or August.

Can't give you advice on prices or TA's. Prefer not to work with TA's and the best prices we find are always on the cruise line's own websites.

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the comment. I had never heard that about MSC before. It is worth a look. I agree, that the kids will find something to do for fun regardless of the ship.

We really want to take the kids but don't want to sink too much money into something that goes by so fast.

-Jim

I had a friend sail MSC with her kids - she said it was incredible service for adults and a really well thought out kids program. She loved it.

This year in January I got a 3, 4, 5 passenger sail free promo for NCL Escape. They have a few family oceanview rooms @239 sf that sleep 5 with a pullman and a double sofabed next to the main bed. I paid $1800 total for 3 of us for a oceanview family suite with the unlimited dining package.