CCL Cruise Insurance

RobinKY

We use Travelguard gold plan each time we cruise/vacation. Have had to file claims 2x, and have gotten back almost every penny each time. As soon as I book, my next call is to get travel insurance. We consider it part of our vacation expense. If YOU have any kind of pre-existing condition, you must get the insurance within 2 weeks of your initial booking deposit, or you won't be covered if something comes up. We pay around $280 for 4 adults (ages 57,56,27,24) - 3 of which now have pre-existing conditions. And with an elderly parent at home, we would never travel without coverage "just in case."

We use Travelguard gold plan each time we cruise/vacation. Have had to file claims 2x, and have gotten back almost every penny each time. As soon as I book, my next call is to get travel insurance. We consider it part of our vacation expense. If YOU have any kind of pre-existing condition, you must get the insurance within 2 weeks of your initial booking deposit, or you won't be covered if something comes up. We pay around $280 for 4 adults (ages 57,56,27,24) - 3 of which now have pre-existing conditions. And with an elderly parent at home, we would never travel without coverage "just in case."

You need to know that no matter what is wrong with the 3 you mention, it is not a pre existing condition if it hasn't been treated or prescription changed in last 60 days (or whatever ins specifies)

Wait...so if my elderly parents...Dad just turned 90...become very ill (as in near death or deceased) the DH, DS, and I can't get our cruise expenses back from Carnival if we cant to cancel? Even though we bought Carnival's $100 insurance policy? We are driving to port so don't have travel expenses. I'm going to call my Carnival agent tomorrow. This thread has really caused me some distress. First time that's ever happened on Cruise Critic. I won't be sleeping well until I get this sorted out. We're over a month out...can I cancel the insurance for all three of us and get that money back at least if they don't in fact cover this possibility?:confused: Of course my parents have preexisting problems...they're 87 and 90!
Only your policy can answer that for certain. But in most instances I am aware of, you CAN get the cost of your cruise (and whatever other expenses you paid to have covered) reimbursed, if you can prove through medical records and a letter from the doctor that your parent's condition was life threatening and prevented you from traveling. At least that has been my experience twice now. Not everything is covered, of course, and there are loopholes, that CAN allow the insurance company to deny your claim, but if your claim is legit and the reason for your cancellation is included in the coverage you paid for, and you can produce documents supporting your legitimate reason for cancelling, they will reimburse you for all expenses you purchased coverage for. But don't rely on my, or anyone else's words. Read your policy carefully, more than once, if it is unclear to you. All policies are not the same. All coverage is not the same. If you still have questions after reading your policy, call the insurance company and ask. Edited by Towel Critter

That great thing about Carnival is that whenever I've booked a cruise the Carnival insurance is always there by default. If this is true for you and you didn't remove it from your booking before final payment date then that should cover the pre-existing condition clause because you technically bought the insurance at the time of your booking.

I'm no travel insurance expert but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Wait...so if my elderly parents...Dad just turned 90...become very ill (as in near death or deceased) the DH, DS, and I can't get our cruise expenses back from Carnival if we cant to cancel? Even though we bought Carnival's $100 insurance policy? We are driving to port so don't have travel expenses. I'm going to call my Carnival agent tomorrow. This thread has really caused me some distress. First time that's ever happened on Cruise Critic. I won't be sleeping well until I get this sorted out. We're over a month out...can I cancel the insurance for all three of us and get that money back at least if they don't in fact cover this possibility?:confused: Of course my parents have preexisting problems...they're 87 and 90!

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/vacation-protection-201205pdf.ashx

Carnival Cruise Cancellation & Interruption Fee Waiver

(For Specified Reasons).................................................Cash Refund Up to Total Cruise Vacation Cost

This Cancellation Fee Waiver Program is an addendum to your cruise Ticket Contract. Through the

Cancellation Fee Waiver Program, Carnival Cruise Lines will waive their standard cancellation provision and

refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise

vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any

one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below**):

1. sickness, injury or death to yourself, a traveling companion, or members of either of your immediate

families which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated

Definitions

Immediate Family Member includes your or the Traveling Companion’s spouse, child, spouse’s child,

son-daughter-in-law, parent(s), sibling(s), grandparent(s), grandchild, step brother-sister, step-parent(s),

parent(s)-in-law, brother-sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, cousin, Domestic Partner, or ward.

Hope this helps

That great thing about Carnival is that whenever I've booked a cruise the Carnival insurance is always there by default. If this is true for you and you didn't remove it from your booking before final payment date then that should cover the pre-existing condition clause because you technically bought the insurance at the time of your booking.

I'm no travel insurance expert but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

there is no pre existing waiver with Carnival insurance. One of the main reasons it's not very good

Wow! Lots of good info here and I realize I need to do my own homework.

So for my specific situation, I am most concerned with my father-in law (age 75), who was diagnosed with esophageal cancer about a month ago. He is doing good and his dementia is the only serious health issue that is noticeable. The cancer is really only limiting his diet. He is moving to assisted living, today actually. He is not bed-ridden and can hold good conversations although he is very forgetful. I just don't see any issues coming up in the next 38 days but the cancer will progress over time.

Towelcritter - it sounds like you have first hand experience with this. So if I get travel insurance will they want medical records for my FIL going back 180 days and then claim he has pre existing condition b/c the cancer was diagnosed prior to our trip? Or if we need to cancel because of grave illness or death days prior to cruise, we will just have to get medical documentation proving that? Again, I will have do my own homework.

So for my specific situation, I am most concerned with my father-in law (age 75), who was diagnosed with esophageal cancer about a month ago. He is doing good and his dementia is the only serious health issue that is noticeable. The cancer is really only limiting his diet. He is moving to assisted living, today actually. He is not bed-ridden and can hold good conversations although he is very forgetful. I just don't see any issues coming up in the next 38 days but the cancer will progress over time.

Towelcritter - it sounds like you have first hand experience with this. So if I get travel insurance will they want medical records for my FIL going back 180 days and then claim he has pre existing condition b/c the cancer was diagnosed prior to our trip? Or if we need to cancel because of grave illness or death days prior to cruise, we will just have to get medical documentation proving that? Again, I will have do my own homework.

Again, your dad is not the insured. You are. Has nothing to do with insurance you buy for yourself on your cruise. Pre existing applies to you, not others not going on the cruise

Edited by SeaUs

We booked the 14 day Pride repositioning recently and bought our trip insurance through trip insurance dot com. For the 4 of us, with the oldest being 70 years old, the total came to $257.00. $100,000 medical, $250,000 evacuation and repatriation, trip cancellation, etc. We would never travel without insurance.

there is no pre existing waiver with Carnival insurance. One of the main reasons it's not very good

Oh that's not good at all. If Carnival and their underwriter piss off the wrong person and refuse a claim for a disability or a treatable condition that suddenly flares up during a cruise, then I can see a class action lawsuit coming and a news headline that reads "Carnival made billions selling worthless insurance to millions of unsuspecting travelers". The settlement checks will be in the mail! It's only a matter of time and I hope Carnival is smart enough to not walk this thin line.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Oh that's not good at all. If Carnival and their underwriter piss off the wrong person and refuse a claim for a disability or a treatable condition that suddenly flares up during a cruise, then I can see a class action lawsuit coming and a news headline that reads "Carnival made billions selling worthless insurance to millions of unsuspecting travelers". The settlement checks will be in the mail! It's only a matter of time and I hope Carnival is smart enough to not walk this thin line.

It's always been this way for as long as I know. Same for Princess and Royal Caribbean. None waive pre existing like the big 3rd party insurers do

The insurance is for the people traveling.

If something happens to a family member that is not traveling and you can't take the trip, the insurance company refunds the fare you paid for the cruise, if thats stated in the policy you purchased.

Not even close

The terms and conditions of the policy is clearly spelled out and approved by the legal entities in each State/Province/Country sold.

My personal opinion is this: if my husband and I had to cancel a cruise and be out the cost of the cruise, that would be about $2,000 for us. The cost of insurance for the two of us would be roughly $200 per cruise. So the only way insurance would be cost effective for us is if we ever had to cancel more than one cruise out of 10. In my opinion, the likelihood of that happening right now is slim. So I choose not to take out insurance, and will accept whatever happens. Best case scenario is that we reach 10 cruises without ever having to cancel, and we can use the $2K savings on an 11th cruise.

My personal opinion is this: if my husband and I had to cancel a cruise and be out the cost of the cruise, that would be about $2,000 for us. The cost of insurance for the two of us would be roughly $200 per cruise. So the only way insurance would be cost effective for us is if we ever had to cancel more than one cruise out of 10. In my opinion, the likelihood of that happening right now is slim. So I choose not to take out insurance, and will accept whatever happens. Best case scenario is that we reach 10 cruises without ever having to cancel, and we can use the $2K savings on an 11th cruise.

Insurance covers so much more than just the cost of the cruise.

Who pays if you need emergency aid and or medevac? Hope you have great health insurance because mine wouldn't cover that

Who pays if you need emergency aid and or medevac? Hope you have great health insurance because mine wouldn't cover that

Good point. In regards to insurance comparison sites, I would also consider looking at squaremouth.com. Their site has better filters to narrow down the policies that meet your requirements.

:)

Not even close

The terms and conditions of the policy is clearly spelled out and approved by the legal entities in each State/Province/Country sold.

That may be true. But it doesn't stop people from suing and creating a PR nightmare for Carnival. Lawsuits bring many bad business practices to light and I could see that happening if the wrong person or group gets a claim denied. There are many examples of this.

Sorry for the late reply, Robin. I almost missed you question. First, as I have said, read your policy closely for the most accurate answer to your question. That said, yes I had to supply medical records from all doctors for my mother, going back 180 days. But, I did not purchase the policy within the pre-existing wavier time frame, which for the company I used, Travel Guard, was 15 days, I believe. I don't know how Travel Guard handles things when a waiver is in effect. I suspect they will still want to see some records, or at least a letter from the doctor, but I can't say for sure. But I have a hard time believing that they would just accept a customer's "word," without at least some documentation. I HAVE filed two claims, but that doesn't make me an expert. Read your policy carefully. I think it is dangerous to listen to generalized answers on CC about travel insurance. Insurance companies vary, policies vary, and coverage varies.