Does HAL have a dining room just for suites?

Hflors

I booked on another cruise line. After reading cc boards I find out that the cabin I booked is only allowed to eat in the main dining room. The other two dining rooms are exclusively for the "higher" classes of cabins?

I don't remember HAL having a separate dining room for the upper suites. Did I miss something?

Now I feel like I am going to be traveling in steerage?

Does HAl have a separate dining room for Suite passengers only?

For lunch and dinner there is no special dinning room for the Neptune Suites and the PS. And you will find the dining room closed most days for lunch and a few days for lunch in the Pinnacle Grill and if you are on a Signature ship (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam) the Tamarind is also closed a few days.

The Neptune Suites and PS cabins do get to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill on the Vista and Signature ships. Those people cruising on the R and S class ships can have breakfast on the upper level of the dining room. The menu and times are the same as the main dining room.

In short, no. Neptune Suite and PS guests can eat breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill if they wish. It's the same menu as the main dining room, but a nicer, less crowded room. Other than that, it's the same dining for everyone.

Yes, HAL provides separate venues for certain suite passengers. Those who book Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suites are able to dine for breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill- it is closed for all other passengers.

The Neptune Lounge is also open to only those in Neptune and Pinnacle Suites.

Yes, HAL provides separate venues for certain suite passengers. Those who book Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suites are able to dine for breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill- it is closed for all other passengers.

The Neptune Lounge is also open to only those in Neptune and Pinnacle Suites.

The OP asked about dining rooms. The Neptune Lounge is hardly that.

Others have already posted about breakfast in the PG for Neptune and PS passengers only, and having had Neptune for my last few cruises, I actually like that the MDR is for everyone with no special dining for suites.

I booked on another cruise line. After reading cc boards I find out that the cabin I booked is only allowed to eat in the main dining room. The other two dining rooms are exclusively for the "higher" classes of cabins?

I don't remember HAL having a separate dining room for the upper suites. Did I miss something?

You've booked on another Cruise line ? Are your referring to Cunard by any chance ?

No you are not travelling in Steerage, but you are only getting what you've paid for ! .... Many Cruise lines today are following in the style of Cunard's Product/ Brand whereby those who have paid a very high premium are offered to dine in a restaurant that offers additional items on the menu ..... Well that make sense to me ..... after all, if Ive paid mega bugs for a higher grade stateroom then I'd expect very fine dining to go with it !!

It's no different to travelling these days on long haul airlines..... You pays your money and you take your choice!

Celebrity also are now offering suite guest's a separate dining experience.

Except for the breakfast and lunch separation in rooms if desired, HAL does not discriminate based on cabin category, so no, you are not traveling in steerage. The separate dining rooms based on cabin category is 1 reason I will never cruise Cunard. Wonder if they offer different menus in each room - does anyone know??

There are other restaurants on board HAL ships where you pay a small surcharge, i.e. Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto on all ships and a few others on larger ships but anyone can make a reservation and have dinner in any of these extra restaurants.

That's really one of the things I have always liked about HAL, it's pretty much a "classless" society! (Except for breakfast.)

Once when we boarded a Cunard ship, I had a wander around even before everyone boarded, and I found a lot of wonderful spaces I intended to visit again. I never found them! Doors closed and certain areas were for other classes only. Reminded me of days long past.

I believe ncl also does this. I seem to recall RCL starting this on the newer ships as well.

Yes, RCL has a separate dining area for suite guests called the Coastal Kitchen. It is only on the newer ships and Junior Suite guests are not permitted to dine there. You do pay a high premium for the larger suites on the newer ships so there are more perks when staying in those suites. Having sailed both, we much prefer HAL's Neptune suites because they are the perfect size for our needs as is the Neptune Lounge and we don't really care if we have a separate dining room.

NCL ships that have Haven have dining area for Suite only guests.

When I was on Dawn this summer, because I had a Penthouse, I was permitted breakfast and lunch in Cagney's which is suites only but it is open to all for dinner.

Why would you want a suite-only restaurant?

If you want to eat in exclusivity, order dinner your dinner from room service and have it on your balcony.

Once people are out of their cabins, it's impossible to tell just by looking in what cabin they lay their head at night. Unless they make some overt act that indicates it to the general public. It may be that all the people around you in the Lido or in the pool loungers are suite passengers, but you'll never really know without asking.

Why would you want a suite-only restaurant?

If you want to eat in exclusivity, order dinner your dinner from room service and have it on your balcony.

Once people are out of their cabins, it's impossible to tell just by looking in what cabin they lay their head at night. Unless they make some overt act that indicates it to the general public. It may be that all the people around you in the Lido or in the pool loungers are suite passengers, but you'll never really know without asking.

It's not about eating separate from other people, it's about higher end dining included in the cost of the room. It's a higher class of food.

This class creation is getting ridiculous.

We do not care for larger accomodation but do expect the same level of service and cuisine for every passenger onboard.

The difference in cruise price should be based on accomodation, NOT for service or how you are treated. That is 19th. Century all over again.

The OP asked about dining rooms. The Neptune Lounge is hardly that.

Others have already posted about breakfast in the PG for Neptune and PS passengers only, and having had Neptune for my last few cruises, I actually like that the MDR is for everyone with no special dining for suites.

I am well aware that the OP asked about dining rooms, which is why when I replied I stated that HAL has separate "Venues". The Neptune Lounge is not a traditional dining room, but food items are offered in a buffet style and patrons are free to sit and dine at the tables there.

The OP referenced "steerage" and my post was an attempt to clarify that HAL also has venues that are exclusive to suite guests only.

Except for the breakfast and lunch separation in rooms if desired, HAL does not discriminate based on cabin category, so no, you are not traveling in steerage. The separate dining rooms based on cabin category is 1 reason I will never cruise Cunard. Wonder if they offer different menus in each room - does anyone know??

I am amazed at how many people feel this way. At the risk of sounding rude, I do wonder if people so offended by a so-called “class system” on a ship ever fly on an aeroplane, or ride a train or stay in a hotel that has a club floor with an exclusive lounge for those who pay for the privilege.

One would think that Cunard is the only cruise line that offers benefits to those in the larger accommodations. There are several lines that offer an exclusive lounge and deck space and a few that have or will soon have an exclusive restaurant. Sadly, HAL does not offer a restaurant for suite passengers but, as others have said, there is an exclusive venue for breakfast and the “open with key card” Neptune Lounge. Hmmm, this sounds a bit like a class system.

On Cunard the so-called class divisions are fairly subtle. Regrettably, on the RMS Queen Mary 2 it is possible to wander into the Grills areas (two restaurants, Queen’s and Princess, one lounge for drinks and afternoon tea, a concierge lounge similar to the Neptune and a tiny bit of deck space). There are no locks, only a sign as a deterrent. The risk of being offended is less on the smaller Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. The entire Grills public area is on a high deck and access in the lifts/elevators is by key card. People travelling in humble cabins might not know there was such a thing as the Grills. Over the last four decades I have travelled in Cunard in every possible “class” except parcel post and have never felt superior or inferior in any dining room.

What appeals to me most about Cunard’s Grills are the two restaurants open for all three meals every day without exception. It is single sitting (assigned tables, but dining times are flexible) which was common on ships before the term First Class became an obscenity. In answer to the question about Cunard’s Grill rooms, the main menu of the day is usually identical to what is served in the main dining room Britannia, but there is an extensive à la carte menu and the opportunity, especially in Queen’s, to order anything one wants without referring to the menu. Many items are flambéed table-side and cheese is served from a huge trolley.

Given the fare charged by HAL, which in most cases is the same or more than what Cunard charges for the Grills, I think HAL should provide a restaurant for Neptune and Pinnacle passengers. On my recent Alaska cruise we splurged on a Neptune suite. It was early season and the fare was less than the equivalent on Cunard, so I didn’t mind not having a restaurant. But there is no way I would pay regular Neptune fares.

This class creation is getting ridiculous.

We do not care for larger accomodation but do expect the same level of service and cuisine for every passenger onboard.

The difference in cruise price should be based on accomodation, NOT for service or how you are treated. That is 19th. Century all over again.

it is obvious enough that some people are not used to traveling First Class. next time you book your lower class cabin tell them you want to pay the suite charge since the size of the accommodation is your only concern and not how much it costs. Give me a break. :p

it is obvious enough that some people are not used to traveling First Class. next time you book your lower class cabin tell them you want to pay the suite charge since the size of the accommodation is your only concern and not how much it costs. Give me a break. :p

No kidding. Ridiculous.

I am well aware that the OP asked about dining rooms, which is why when I replied I stated that HAL has separate "Venues". The Neptune Lounge is not a traditional dining room, but food items are offered in a buffet style and patrons are free to sit and dine at the tables there.

The OP referenced "steerage" and my post was an attempt to clarify that HAL also has venues that are exclusive to suite guests only.

I think it's a real stretch to say you can dine in the Neptune lounge.

it is obvious enough that some people are not used to traveling First Class. next time you book your lower class cabin tell them you want to pay the suite charge since the size of the accommodation is your only concern and not how much it costs. Give me a break. :p.

Well I, for one, am really glad that there are folks who are willing to pay double, triple or even quadruple daily rates over what I am paying, to sail on the same ship as me. I figure in the long run, considering the total fare paid by all cruisers on a ship, it makes my cabin a little less expensive. And that is a good thing.

So from one “lower class cabin” cruiser, I thank you for your contribution to my cruising experience.

Scott & Karen