Just off Oasis, 8:30 am, already checked in at FLL

Catr13, you should be ok as long as there are no issues, and there usually isnt. The buffet opens at 5:30 am for breakfast , so if you are already packed ,you can partake in your last meal aboard ship and still be off early . I have arrived at the airport at 7 am two other times off of the Oasis. You will not have any lines ahead of you getting off , at customs or getting a cab to the airport.I personally would rather wait at the airport rather than in lines , so thats why i do express departure . I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks loman. I did quite a bit of reading beforehand and it does seem there are no issues around 90% of the time or so with terminal 18, so I think it's worth the risk. I think the next flight wasn't until 1pm and I really didn't want to wait to then and arrive at my destination so late. We will be lining up for breakfast I am guessing at opening time :)

Glad your process was easy and early!

When I sailed Oasis in September, we ran into a problem where either customs officials didn't show up or they needed more, needless to say we were delayed over an hour after our scheduled debarkation time.

When it works, it works. When it doesn't, it's a long wait. You just never know what it's going to be like.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm off Independence just now. There were 3 or 4 cruise terminal customs officials working - line was still really long. What annoyed me at FLL was that there was only ONE operating body/X-ray scanner in the security terminal with two lines feeding into it. I still made my 9:00am flight with barely a few minutes to spare though so I'm okay with it.

To anyone wondering whether they can make early flights out of FLL after debarking Oasis, we were checked in, through security and waiting at our gate by 8:30 am. We did NOT walk off with our luggage, rather we had an early Departure Group number and collected our bags in the terminal. Everything was extremely well organized. That said, we were told that they would only call our Departure Group number only at 8:30 but it was called at 7:15

How do I get an early departure group number Jacquelyn I noticed that there seemed to be 'express' lines for early departure but my information sheet only gave information on self-disembarkation through decks 3 and 4.

---

Also note to future early disembarkers on Indy. Deck 3 and Deck 4 are not separate disembarkation experiences. Deck 4 was lead done to Deck 3 after D3 had already lined up then over 100 ppl formed a single file queue to Deck 2 but where the disembarkation process actually took place ".

When we got off Serenade on December 4 it was a very slow process at the terminal customs.

we waited in line for over an hour. there were only 2 officers on duty. we got excited at one point as we though they were putting a third on, only to realize that they simply allowed one of the other officers to go a break!!

We had opted for the later departure time off the ship, and were allowed off at 9:30. We got to FLL airport for 11am, flight was at 11:50am, so we were in plenty of time, but the line up at Terminal 18 was very frustrating and could have been avoided if it was staffed properly.

Debark: There is a Suite line and Global Entry line in Port Everglades.

Global Entry is available in all terminals in Port Everglades.

By showing your Global Entry card you get front of the line privileges.

From what I have read...Mobile Passport will be coming soon to Port Everglades too.

We are cruising with friends in Jan. They booked ad 9:30 am flight out of Fll the day we disembark, planning on walking off with their luggage. I think their nuts, I wouldn't risk it. What do you think their chances of making the flight are?

For Oasis, actually not a bad chance. If there are no delays, self-assist people are getting off around 6:30am. They can be at the airport by 7am.

Debark: There is a Suite line and Global Entry line in Port Everglades.

Global Entry is available in all terminals in Port Everglades.

By showing your Global Entry card you get front of the line privileges.

From what I have read...Mobile Passport will be coming soon to Port Everglades too.

Thank you!

We are cruising with friends in Jan. They booked ad 9:30 am flight out of Fll the day we disembark, planning on walking off with their luggage. I think their nuts, I wouldn't risk it. What do you think their chances of making the flight are?

I just made a 9:00am flight so I would say it's fair.

Here's my Independence of the Seas disembarkation timeline:

6:40am - Ship still coming into port

6:45am - Pulls into dock slip

7:00am - Full dock

7:15am - First disembark announcement to ship

7:20am - Line forms with 100+ people for self-disembark

7:43am - I got off the ship (So it took 20 minutes in a queue for self-disembarkation)

7:58am - Finished with cruise terminal customs

7:59am - In taxi

8:10am - arrived at airport (So taxi ride is 11 minutes)

8:27am - Through airport security (Airport security took 17 minutes)

8:32am - On plane

Averaging this is 1 hour from ship self-disembark to plane flight

Note with all this - I travel LIGHT so I didn't have a rolling suitcase to check in at airport; I was pre-checked in for flight; also if you have priority disembark on ship or a way to get through airport security it'll be quicker

Edited by cruisevv

We are staying at a hotel with a 2 pm check in time on the Boardwalk/Hollywood Beach. I have called and they will NOT hold luggage for our room prior to 2pm (hotel is fully booked night before) nor permit an early check in:(

So what is the latest you can disembark and how do we REQUEST late disembarkation???

Springhill suites/FLL airport (using for our PRE cruise stay) has told us we COULD store our luggage there and I am sort of considering going there and maybe hit the mall across the street or something till time comes up for us to check in.

We are staying at a hotel with a 2 pm check in time on the Boardwalk/Hollywood Beach. I have called and they will NOT hold luggage for our room prior to 2pm (hotel is fully booked night before) nor permit an early check in:(

So what is the latest you can disembark and how do we REQUEST late disembarkation???

Springhill suites/FLL airport (using for our PRE cruise stay) has told us we COULD store our luggage there and I am sort of considering going there and maybe hit the mall across the street or something till time comes up for us to check in.

If you are asking about Oasis, here is a recent departure letter:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48336999&postcount=66

Thanks, Bob for the link. I guess I needed to have reworded my question - what I really wondered was how long will we be allowed to stay in our staterooms before the room steward or whoever "kicks" us out? I realize they have to get ready for the new cruisers coming on, but hoping we could stay as late as possible in the room.

Which airline are people using for early flights?

Southwest's security line in FLL is notorious for being extra long. Last year on the Oasis some friends used the early departure option and SW terminal was closed when they arrived at the airport. No one was allowed in. SW also would not allow everyone in the group to use luggage valet. The request was cancelled the night before by GS with no explanation aside from it's the airline. Of course, the charge was returned to the sea pass card.

I fly on Delta and never had any problems but was just wondering if those that fly SW have issues with early flights.

Which airline are people using for early flights?

Southwest's security line in FLL is notorious for being extra long. Last year on the Oasis some friends used the early departure option and SW terminal was closed when they arrived at the airport. No one was allowed in. SW also would not allow everyone in the group to use luggage valet. The request was cancelled the night before by GS with no explanation aside from it's the airline. Of course, the charge was returned to the sea pass card.

I fly on Delta and never had any problems but was just wondering if those that fly SW have issues with early flights.

Get TSA pre-check. Solves those problems. Or Global Entry. Even better.

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

We always do Southwest Airlines when we can. Sitting at the gate by 7:55AM, flight was 9:55AM

Same here. The only problem we see occasionally is that if we get to the airport too early, they won't let us through security.