Regal Princess--Not worth the extra $$

likestorelax

That 10 day repo from NY to FLL was selling at 599 for an inside and 699 for a balcony after final payment.

We did the same cruise last year on the Royal and it was fantastic. :D

Doing it again next year.

LOL! I guess it depends where you booked the cruise. We paid somewhat less then that balcony price plus also managed to get $400 of OBCs. We had previously posted that in forty+ years of cruising (and more then 100 bookings) this was the best deal (on a cost per passenger day) EVER!

Hank

The dirty little secret we discovered about the bigger ships on all lines was that these were not designed for the benefit of passengers, they were designed for added profitability of the cruise line. With bigger they cram in more staterooms, but there is no guarantee the public space per stateroom will be anywhere near that of the smaller ships. And you'd think bigger buffets mean more choices? Nope, they just repeat the same limited choices and stamp them out over and over. Only the revenue producing areas of the ship seem to grow. Personally would never go on an extra large cruise ship again.

Edited by ano

LOL! I guess it depends where you booked the cruise. We paid somewhat less then that balcony price plus also managed to get $400 of OBCs. We had previously posted that in forty+ years of cruising (and more then 100 bookings) this was the best deal (on a cost per passenger day) EVER!

Hank

We did not do this past sailing, but that price was on the Princess website. Of course our TA (and apparently yours) can get it cheaper and add in the OBC. ;)

Edited by janetz

Been following this thread and finally had to put my 2 1/2 cents in. We sailed the Regal about a year ago and I have yet to get as low a fare for a mini-suite per day as on that cruise. Food was good in the MDR as usual, lots of space in the buffet area and enjoyed the entertainment especially Tom Franek at the piano.

We all have our different views - I think it's called "The eyes of the beholder"

And you'd think bigger buffets mean more choices? Nope, they just repeat the same limited choices and stamp them out over and over.

I do not think you have been on the Regal or Royal.

The buffet there has more variety than I have seen on any other cruise ships.

I agree that the Regal/Royal overall seem less crowded than the Emerald/Ruby/Crown. The exception would be the anytime dining rooms on the Royal. The waits were long and they seemed to be understaffed and the staff they had seemed overworked. The Coral and the Island before it was butchered are probably the least crowded Princess ships. It's great that many love the Regal and Royal. They just do not suit our tastes.

You certainly are entitled to your observations and I don't think we will miss seeing you onboard. Too bad you didn't have anything positive to say about these ships, but then it's easier to find fault for some.

You certainly are entitled to your observations and I don't think we will miss seeing you onboard. Too bad you didn't have anything positive to say about these ships, but then it's easier to find fault for some.

This kind of post is just plain mean. This is Cruise Critic, and all are welcome to post observations and opinions. Why on earth do those who differ with your opinion have to suffer personal jabs? Must you really say you will not miss seeing the poster onboard? Or that some find it easy to find fault with a ship? Their opinion is not the same as yours, and that is allowed. There are quite a few other well traveled members here that do not prefer the Royal or the Regal, and have said so. A little kindness would not hurt between members, and a difference in opinion should not leave a poster open to nasty jabs.

Edited by stoneharborlady

Have to agree. The Horizon Court buffet on the Regal was among the best we have ever seen at sea (and this is on over 60 different ships). The one thing missing was a decent ice cream bar (Princess has abandoned this concept on their ships). Soft serve ice cream (available at the pool area) is not a substitute for decent ice cream....which is only available at the Gelato place(for a price) below decks or in the MDR.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I'm with you. I couldn't believe the variety of food in the HC and HB...and it wasn't the same thing everyday. There was also a huge selection of different ethnic dishes.

Absolutely the best buffet of any ship that I've been on . Add to that Alfredo's, the International Cafe and the Crown Grill and Regal had the best non MDR dining on any of my cruises. Bigger does not always mean better, but in this case it did. Edited by richstowe

Leaving 11/29, BB Balcony for 2 with taxes and ins. under $1250, great deal if you ask me for a new ship. I've not been on Regal and last year was my first Princess cruise, Ruby 5 Day. I've been on multiple RCCL and if I was bringing the kids, that might sway me. But I really liked my first Princess cruise last year as did my DW. 7 days, no kids, drinks, sun, good food (a lot better then RCCL), I mean come on, life is what you make it, have some fun.

Just off the Regal Princess-5 day Caribbean cruise Nov 3. Always loved the Princess Experience-ships beautiful, lots of entertainment, good food-best pizza afloat, MUTS!!!. We were excited to sail the Regal because it supposedly had bigger better features-Biggest Atrium afloat- Biggest Buffett afloat- See down to the sea cantaliever walkway. We decided to try the Regal even though it cost a little more then the other ships. Overall we enjoyed the experience but did not feel the extra amenities were worth the extra cost. The ship did seem more crowded then the Emerald Princess. Buffett had awesome salad and soup but entrees were overcooked and unimpressive-bigger was just bigger not better in terms of buffet. Pizza, burgers, MUTS and entertainment were as good as other ships. Overall thought Regal was just as good but not worth paying more for.--Wondering what others think.

Totally disagree with your points, we will only sail the Royal/Regal.

The Royal Class ships do have a lot of cool things but IMHO, the negatives outweigh the positives for me. I cant say that I'll never book another cruise on the class, but it will have to be an itinerary that I cannot live without.....:):):)

Bob

I have to agree after sailing Royal in October.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=515528

George in NY

Grego, I do hope we get to see you onboard sometime, but it probably would not be on the Royal or Regal. Perhaps we could have a frank and friendly discussion of our honest differences of opinion. There are many good things about the Royal and Regal, but with so many ships to choose from, we prefer to sail on those we like better.

I was on the 10 day repo, NYC-Ft. Lauderdale. I was traveling solo as my DH had a busy work schedule. I got a great price of $549 for an interior, ok, I had to pay double as a solo and of course I knew that. I did a guarantee and was offered an upsell to a balcony the week prior to the cruise for $179 x's 2 and said no. 3 days prior to the cruise I was upgraded to a balcony. I was worried I would not like this bigger ship as we had been on numerous Princess ships, the last one being the beautiful small Pacific Princess in September. I LOVED this ship. The staff were wonderful and as people have said, food is subjective. If you complained about the food or how your meat was cooked or not hot enough, it is your fault that you did not ask for something else. The staff on all the ships are there to please you. I was also told by my cute girl that was servicing my room that the ship was almost to full capacity, so who knows and I guess it depends on who you listen to. People will always find something to complain about but what in life is ever perfect? Enjoy, be pleasant to the staff, and you should hopefully be able to overlook what is not perfect in your eyes. Going on the Royal in March with DH and some friends and looking forward to it.

We loved the a Regal and she is our favorite ship. We felt that the Emerald Was way more crowded than the Regal, especially with the tiny buffet on the Emerald versus the huge buffet on the Regal. Passenger to space ratio was much preferable to me on the Regal. Only thing we didn't like was lack of central staircase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes the Grand Class ships, particularly the Horizon Court, seemed much more crowded. Problem solved with Royal/Regal ? Hardly. While Horizon Court on Royal/Regal solves the seating problem, the size and complexity of the food areas is so overwhelming 2 different people with different preferences end up separated going in 20 different directions!

Worldspan

(135 cruises and no more!)

The size and complexity of the food areas is so overwhelming 2 different people with different preferences end up separated going in 20 different directions!

Yes, I tend to agree with you on this. My wife would be standing right next to me, then she'd be gone, and then I would go somewhere else to get something, then we'd both be looking around for each other. We probably looked like morons, wandering around aimlessly! Still, I'll take that over standing in long lines and not being able to find a seat!

Yes the Grand Class ships, particularly the Horizon Court, seemed much more crowded. Problem solved with Royal/Regal ? Hardly. While Horizon Court on Royal/Regal solves the seating problem, the size and complexity of the food areas is so overwhelming 2 different people with different preferences end up separated going in 20 different directions!

Unusual to hear that having so many food choices is a problem.

Worldspan

I understand your statement.....while I can't disagree that there is a wide variety of foods available at the Regal buffet, I did NOT like the way it is laid out... my SIL got "lost" several times trying to find our table... I prefer the "stations" set up on the Royal and newer Celebrity ships which are in a more open area and are easier to orient yourself to.....

So having a different opinion is finding fault.....:confused:

Bob

Worldspan

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

We also thought that the Regal's Horizon Court was an improvement over the same venue on the Grand Class. Our take is that there are pros and cons on all ships and types of ships (of every cruise line). That being said, on balance (pros and cons) we find more to like on the Grand Class then the Royal/Regal class.

Hank