Apple Store on Eclipse?

Nana57

Yes, prices on board re the same as an apple store on land.

Difference is there is limited number of options on board they nay only have the lowest memory version or may only have black when you want white, or they may be fully out of stock.

The savings is just in not paying the taxes, but your purchase will be reported to immigration authorities (at least they do to the US customs agents) so when you disembark, you better claim it or they will take you for a full search, My friend had this happen they asked if he bought any thing he said NO, they looked at a list they got from the ship, and puled him aside for an hour or so as they looked thru all his things, since he lied to them. Almost missed a flight home.

Often time the US authorities will let you pass without paying the duties so long as you are honest with them, though YMMV.

US residents returning to US have an $800 exemption, generally.

Other nationalities get $100, generally.

There may be special rules for purchases within the Caribbean.

You must still list all things bought on the form though, even if under that price. So write the iPad on the form even if it's under $800, so you don't get accused of lying and taken aside. I generally always write SOMETHING on the form, juyt so they don't think I just outright lied, even if I just note $4 for postcards and magnets.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/454/~/duty-free-exemption,-gifts

Difference is there is limited number of options on board they nay only have the lowest memory version or may only have black when you want white, or they may be fully out of stock.

Not so if you live in UK.

I bought an 128GB iPad mini at $599, in the UK it would have cost me £599.

The conversion meant I paid £385. The customs allowance in the UK is £390.

I certainly didn't have to fill in a form when we returned to Southampton.

I also had a choice of colours. I did buy it on the first day out of Southampton though.

Keep in mind that the Apple Stores on X have a limited inventory so there is never a guarantee that they will have the model of a device that you want to purchase. But if they do have what you want you will pay the same price as charged by Apple Stores in the USA. For those of us in the USA the only thing we save is our own State's sales tax (if any). As to those of us in the US, the $800 exemption is per person so its actually twice that for a couple. And beyond that amount the duty (if assessed) is generally about 10% of the overage. But the CBP folks at the ports do have some discretion so if you go over by a relatively small amount they might just say "Welcome home" and off you go. Otherwise, you must simply pay the appropriate duty on the overage.

Hank

Thank you. I priced the ipad2 with wifi, here in NY and it's $499. If I can save tax that would be great. Hopefully they will have it once on board. If I purchase two, my husband would have to purchase it separately, or can we purchase 2 as a couple on once receipt?

Thank you. I priced the ipad2 with wifi, here in NY and it's $499. If I can save tax that would be great. Hopefully they will have it once on board. If I purchase two, my husband would have to purchase it separately, or can we purchase 2 as a couple on once receipt?

1 receipt, as the customs form allows people with same last name to do 1 form.

Just off Millie and the people that bought Apple products had staff doing the set up plus they got 1 hour free wifi. I think you have to go early as they were out of a lot of things by the end of the 2 weeks.

Prices were for iPad Air 2:

16gb. $499 USD. 329 GBP. 419 EUR

64gb. $599 USD. 395. GBP. 503 EUR

128gb $699 USD. 461. GBP. 587. EUR

1 receipt, as the customs form allows people with same last name to do 1 form.

For US Citizens/Legal Residents you no longer have to have the same last name. As long as you are a "family" this is now sufficient to fill out a single declaration form and combine the limits. The rule has actually been published and you can read about it here:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/CBP-declaration-form-6059B

Although this technically took effect in 2014, DW and I ignored the rules for many years and completed a single form although we have different last names. A few times the CBP would just ask if we were married...but most of the time they did not even raise the issue.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Just off Millie and the people that bought Apple products had staff doing the set up plus they got 1 hour free wifi. I think you have to go early as they were out of a lot of things by the end of the 2 weeks.

Prices were for iPad Air 2:

16gb. $499 USD. 329 GBP. 419 EUR

64gb. $599 USD. 395. GBP. 503 EUR

128gb $699 USD. 461. GBP. 587. EUR

I didn't get extra minutes on Eclipse and I did ask.

Also be aware that all transactions on the ship's are in US dollars.

I was just very lucky in the summer that the conversion to £ was very much in my favour, I was anticipating getting the 64GB, but was able to get the 128GB.

No cellular products are sold on the ships.

Edited by upwarduk

I purchased a $1500 lap top for my son. I was advised by the salesman to toss the box and set up the computer to avoid any issues. I also used a separate credit card that was not linked to my on board account. That was my idea not his. I had read on the Princess board that the cruise line submits a list of large purchases. I didn't have a problem in customs. Maybe I was lucky. Personally it wasn't worth the hassle. All I saved was the 8.75% sales tax. My son later found out that he could have received a 10% student discount at the apple store. I have a $300 OBC on my next sailing and may use it to purchase a new iPad for DW. I will make my decision early as I'm sure others will have the same idea. Even the $1500 lap top was out of stock when we went to make the purchase. We had to wait until we arrived in St. Thomas for them to restock. We are only going to Bermuda this trip so I'm not sure if they restock there. I will be at the store when it opens after sail away.

I purchased a $1500 lap top for my son. I was advised by the salesman to toss the box and set up the computer to avoid any issues. I also used a separate credit card that was not linked to my on board account. That was my idea not his. I had read on the Princess board that the cruise line submits a list of large purchases. I didn't have a problem in customs. Maybe I was lucky. Personally it wasn't worth the hassle. All I saved was the 8.75% sales tax. My son later found out that he could have received a 10% student discount at the apple store. I have a $300 OBC on my next sailing and may use it to purchase a new iPad for DW. I will make my decision early as I'm sure others will have the same idea. Even the $1500 lap top was out of stock when we went to make the purchase. We had to wait until we arrived in St. Thomas for them to restock. We are only going to Bermuda this trip so I'm not sure if they restock there. I will be at the store when it opens after sail away.

So advising people to commit an offence and smuggle goods is ok on a public forum now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At Best Buy or Target many times a $100 off the price with a store card for $50 to $100. Christmas is a great time to watch for deals.

Two years ago I traded my old iPad to Target and received Either $150 or $200 for it and a store card for $50 on a new one.

PS

I always thought that 16MB was enough, but do your self a favor and get 32 if 32 is still available.

At Best Buy or Target many times a $100 off the price with a store card for $50 to $100. Christmas is a great time to watch for deals.

Two years ago I traded my old iPad to Target and received Either $150 or $200 for it and a store card for $50 on a new one.

PS

I always thought that 16MB was enough, but do your self a favor and get 32 if 32 is still available.

Depends how many apps & photos you have!

It would be an 'old edition' if you found a 32GB, the newest iPads are in 16,64, 128 GB.

The savings is just in not paying the taxes, but your purchase will be reported to immigration authorities (at least they do to the US customs agents) so when you disembark, you better claim it or they will take you for a full search, My friend had this happen they asked if he bought any thing he said NO, they looked at a list they got from the ship, and puled him aside for an hour or so as they looked thru all his things, since he lied to them. Almost missed a flight home.

Often time the US authorities will let you pass without paying the duties so long as you are honest with them, though YMMV.

Sorry I'm a bit confused here. As a UK citizen if I purchase an ipad onboard ship I need to declare it to US customs ? Never heard of that before.

Sorry I'm a bit confused here. As a UK citizen if I purchase an ipad onboard ship I need to declare it to US customs ? Never heard of that before.

At the end of your cruise you will be given a flier, detailing the customs allowances, IF YOU ARE STAYING IN USA.

My husband bought a 32GB iPad in 2013, but we were only transiting through Miami and left later that evening to fly to LHR. I cannot remember the allowance exactly, but think it was £400. You only had to declare on the form if you were bringing goods for USE in USA.

Certainly this summer it was £390, but we were coming back to Southampton.

Edited by upwarduk

At the end of your cruise you will be given a flier, detailing the customs allowances, IF YOU ARE STAYING IN USA.

My husband bought a 32GB iPad in 2013, but we were only transiting through Miami and left later that evening to fly to LHR. I cannot remember the allowance exactly, but think it was £400. You only had to declare on the form if you were bringing goods for USE in USA.

The UK allowance is £390 each wherever you are coming from unless you arrive in either a private boat or aircraft when it is reduced to £240. I suspect you are ok in the US as you are only transiting from ship to airport. The goods are not left in the US which is what the customs declaration is all about.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

BEWARE, if you purchase from the on board store that you are not buying directly from Apple but a store that sells Apple products. You are still protected by Apple warranty but if the item becomes faulty or you change your mind you cannot return to an Apple Store as it was purchased from a retailer and has to be returned to them. Bit of a problem if you don't have a cruise coinciding with the purchase/return.

Ok, so we board Eclipse today and we we end our cruise are in a hotel for one night before a flight the next day. I take it that's not classed as staying in the USA.

BEWARE, if you purchase from the on board store that you are not buying directly from Apple but a store that sells Apple products. You are still protected by Apple warranty but if the item becomes faulty or you change your mind you cannot return to an Apple Store as it was purchased from a retailer and has to be returned to them. Bit of a problem if you don't have a cruise coinciding with the purchase/return.

Thank you for this important clarification. If I purchase an Apple product in Florida does it carry a worldwide warranty or do I have to return it to Florida? Presumably the Apple Stores are some sort of retailer ?