captains party for repeat guests?

maui07

Just curious if princess does a captains party (with free drinks) for repeat guests. Haven't sailed on princess in years and forgot if they did this or not, this is our 4th cruise with princess so obviously not a ton of days sailed. Thanks. If so, when is it normally held?

Yes but the type of event and the type of drinks varies with the number of cruises the repeat guest has clocked up with Princess or a qualifying cruise line, ( Sitmar or P & O BITD)

How many qualifying cruises or days at sea do you have? I know you had 4 with Princess directly, do they show this on your history?

Edited by Griller

On cruises of seven nights or more it is usually the last formal night. But if the only convergence of sea day/formal night is early in the cruise it may be that night.

Your Captains Circle level is Ruby*. Depending on how many Circle members are onboard your particular cruise the Circle reception may be for Ruby and above or only Platinum and above. (It is rarely for all members Gold and above unless there are an exceptional number of first-timers onboard). In the latter circumstance the Gold and Ruby members are invited to a "meeting" in the Princess Theatre where you will receive a single drink voucher rather than have waiters circulating with free drinks as at the Circle reception.

If you are on a five-night cruise with only one formal night they may just do the "meeting" as described above for everyone, though there are reports of the regular Circle party on some sailings.

*though if your four cruises add up to more than 50 days you are Platinum--or more than 150, Elite (possible if one of the four was a World Cruise; one never knows...)

Edited by fishywood

The free drinks voucher you are given as you leave the Princess Theater is way better than the hardly alcoholic drinks which are on the trays the waiters circulate with at the events for the more travelled.

Get over the 400 or 500 or so days at sea with Princess and things do often change for the better though, with a much smaller party for those guests with any drink you like to order being complimentary.

So there is something to aim for.

Yes but the type of event and the type of drinks varies with the number of cruises the repeat guest has clocked up with Princess or a qualifying cruise line, ( Sitmar or P & O BITD)

How many qualifying cruises or days at sea do you have? I know you had 4 with Princess directly, do they show this on your history?

It doesn't matter how many cruises or how many days, if you have one past cruise with Princess you are invited to the Captains Circle Cocktail party.

We don't get to excited about going to the Captains party. I think they take a tray of drinks and take the cap off a bottle of alcohol and wave the cap across the top the drinks, because that’s about how much alcohol there is in most of the drinks at the captains party and at the champagne waterfall.

It doesn't matter how many cruises or how many days, if you have one past cruise with Princess you are invited to the Captains Circle Cocktail party.

That's not the case. There are so many repeat cruisers nowadays that they often only do the cocktail party for the higher loyalty levels, and the other repeat cruisers instead get an invitation to a short presentation in the Princess theatre and on the way out are given a voucher for a free drink.

That's not the case. There are so many repeat cruisers nowadays that they often only do the cocktail party for the higher loyalty levels, and the other repeat cruisers instead get an invitation to a short presentation in the Princess theatre and on the way out are given a voucher for a free drink.

We've seen that also on some cruises. I'm expecting that someday in the near future that they'll be so many Elites that they'll have to have a seprtate party exclusively for them. Maybe even better drinks. ;)

There are so many repeat cruisers nowadays that they often only do the cocktail party for the higher loyalty levels, and the other repeat cruisers instead get an invitation to a short presentation in the Princess theatre and on the way out are given a voucher for a free drink.

I'm Gold with Princess (one cruise-Alaska-this past summer). I'd much rather have a voucher to use for a free drink at my discretion.

We're Elite with Princess and have decided to skip the repeat pax cocktail hour for a few reasons. First, the appetizers, if you can hail a steward, taste like last week's frozen & re-heated dough cakes. Second, the drink offerings leave me wanting a bottle of water. I like a cosmo, but those prepared for this "event" are either loaded with overly sweet sugar-water or made with pineapple juice. DH likes a real martini and the only similar drink offered is a gibson, not something he likes. We have requested alternate drinks, but were told we would have to go to the bar ourselves and then pay for them.

Personally, I would prefer that Princess leave a voucher for a free drink in our room instead of the mounds of "spa" and OB shop sale sheets of paper. So, we attend the Platinum and Elite pre-dinner offerings at the designated lounge.

Darcy

In two cruises at the Ruby level, we had two very different experiences:

In early June on the Crown in Alaska, the Captain's Party was a very nice affair. We shook a lot of hands on the way into Club Fusion, had live music while enjoying cocktails and munch. Then a number of talks, including the captain, and drawings for prizes. Nice deal. We enjoyed it.

In October on the Grand, it was in the Princess Theater, with about 50-60 people scattered around. No greeting. No drinks or snacks. At starting time, they turned on some promotional video, then one of the CD's staff introduced the captain, who spoke about two minutes. Then we were all sent on our way with a drink voucher. All in all, a pretty tacky experience.

Jim

That is not now correct. Maybe back in the day!

You are now invited to AN event but the place and type of event varies.

On our last cruise (it was a TA with over 1000 elites and who knows how many platinum) was held at 7 pm one night.

We did not go, as I am sure many others didn't too. 7 pm is either right in the middle of dinner or just before the first shows.

I am sure they set that up to keep the turnout as low as possible....

We're Elite with Princess and have decided to skip the repeat pax cocktail hour for a few reasons. First, the appetizers, if you can hail a steward, taste like last week's frozen & re-heated dough cakes. Second, the drink offerings leave me wanting a bottle of water. I like a cosmo, but those prepared for this "event" are either loaded with overly sweet sugar-water or made with pineapple juice. DH likes a real martini and the only similar drink offered is a gibson, not something he likes. We have requested alternate drinks, but were told we would have to go to the bar ourselves and then pay for them.

Personally, I would prefer that Princess leave a voucher for a free drink in our room instead of the mounds of "spa" and OB shop sale sheets of paper. So, we attend the Platinum and Elite pre-dinner offerings at the designated lounge.

Darcy

I think they don't leave a drink voucher in your cabin on purpose -- they want you to hear about their latest ship or whatever news they want to announce. So exchange for being a captive audience for about a half hour, you either get free drinks (albeit watered down) if you can flag a waiter, or you get the voucher, which is nice as you can basically order any mixed drink at any bar at any time during the cruise.

Just got back from our Crown Princess cruise in Oct. 3-10th and attended the Past Pax Party.

An invitation will be sent to your cabin for the Capt. Past Pax party. Nights for a couple of parties vary to stagger out the crowd. Invitations are taken at the venue door by a crew member. Appetizers are passed around, as well as cocktails. You can request a glass of Wine, but it will take the waitstaff awhile to bring it back to you...if ever.

We enjoy going each year, mainly to see the folks who have cruised the longest. The free drinks and food is really not worth going for...but if you are really interested in the pax who have cruised the longest, meet the crew and Capt....that is really what this event is all about. There is always a band playing in a nice venue for dancing. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to attend.

thank you. I wasn't aware of this change. I guess we've been elite too long so didn't know there were different events. We often just skip the party and would much rather have a drink voucher.

Here is the take of this ole tyme cruiser (probably 100+ cruises on 14 lines) about these parties. Once upon a time DW and I never missed any party that included a free drink :). We still love free drinks (and have more then our share) but now will generally avoid most of these so-called Captain's parties. We just do not see the wisdom of waiting in a line (queue for you Brits), being crammed into a room, and being served a usually warm drink (or flat cheap sparkling wine)...and then having to sit there to here the usual spiel ("let me introduce some of my senior officers and staff). Now there are a few Captains (very few) like Captain Demitrius on Celebrity that are very funny and entertaining...and we would go just to hear him.

But otherwise, while folks are piled into that lounge we will usually be sitting at our favorite bar (less crowded because of the Captain's party) enjoying our usual drinks for which we do pay. A couple of weeks, while on the Regal, we actually thought we would go to the party (we are Elite) but somehow "forgot" and ended up at our usual pre dinner bar (Crooners) with our usual Martinis perfectly prepared, cold, and shaken to our specifications.

Hank

An invitation will be sent to your cabin ... Invitations are taken at the venue door by a crew member. Appetizers are passed around, as well as cocktails. .. meet the crew and Capt....that is really what this event is all about. There is always a band playing in a nice venue for dancing.

All this makes it seem like you haven't read some of the previous posts. Not everyone will have your experience. Some will be herded into the theater (no greetings or drinks or snacks or live music), force-fed some Princess propaganda, then sent out the door with a voucher.

Jim

Thanks everyone! We don't really care about the free drink, my 4 year old thought it would be pretty cool to "meet" the captain.

That may of may not happen. We have found, that as a general rule, the Captain's on Princess seem to keep a low profile when it comes to dealing with passengers. Even if you go to the Captain's Party there is no guarantee that you (or your 4 year old) will get to actually meet the Captain. The irony is that although DW and I could care less about meeting Captains (to quote a famous English Dame....We do not associate with the hired help) we actually did meet the Captain on the Regal when he happened to stop at the International Cafe to get a cup of coffee....and we were standing next to him at the counter. So you never know.

Hank

Oh I know it's not really a big deal (I used to work on cruise ships during/after college for a few years as a youth staff manager) He being 4 obviously, thought it would be cool to see the guy that runs the ship, I know, I know thats the hotel manager, staff captain etc, but hey, he's 4, seeing a group of people with stripes on their shoulders will be enough.