Ukulele

Lmarie6

NOWHERE did the OP suggest he was planning on playing it ON BOARD maybe he plans on playing it in port on some nice secluded beach at sunset.

NOWHERE did the OP suggest where he was planning on playing it.

And think about it -- if he is playing it on some nice secluded beach at sunset in one of the ports they visit .. chances are, they are missing their ship while he sits there singin along with his ukulele :rolleyes:

Edited by F27TW

Wow. Thank you all for your judgment and negativity! :rolleyes: Too many on this forum just love to rip people apart and ruin any ounce of excitement a new cruiser may have. I hope this forum is not representative of the actual people on a cruise, or we will have a miserable time indeed.

I meant the ship, not an airplane as we'll be driving to port. My assumption is that he intends to play it on the beach, and none of you need to worry as we don't have a balcony, so if he plays it in the room you should not hear it. (Right? I don't know, this is my first cruise.)

I did not see musical instruments listed under the things not to bring section on RC's website (though I did see handcuffs on there!), so I assumed it would be ok. This is his hobby, and he's actually gotten pretty good at it and I support him in wanting to do his hobbies while on vacation just as he supports me wanting to do mine.

Thank you to those who actually answered the question. I will let him know that he may take it as carry-on as well as his backpack. As for the rest of you, I hope that whatever it is that is causing you to be miserable is soon remedied and you're able to have a happy and enjoyable life someday.

Wow. Thank you all for your judgment and negativity! :rolleyes: Too many on this forum just love to rip people apart and ruin any ounce of excitement a new cruiser may have. I hope this forum is not representative of the actual people on a cruise, or we will have a miserable time indeed.

I meant the ship, not an airplane as we'll be driving to port. My assumption is that he intends to play it on the beach, and none of you need to worry as we don't have a balcony, so if he plays it in the room you should not hear it. (Right? I don't know, this is my first cruise.)

I did not see musical instruments listed under the things not to bring section on RC's website (though I did see handcuffs on there!), so I assumed it would be ok. This is his hobby, and he's actually gotten pretty good at it and I support him in wanting to do his hobbies while on vacation just as he supports me wanting to do mine.

Thank you to those who actually answered the question. I will let him know that he may take it as carry-on as well as his backpack. As for the rest of you, I hope that whatever it is that is causing you to be miserable is soon remedied and you're able to have a happy and enjoyable life someday.

BAM!!!!! Great post. I hope all that posted the negative comments read. Jumping to conclusions as usual.

Edited by brenderlou

. As for the rest of you, I hope that whatever it is that is causing you to be miserable is soon remedied and you're able to have a happy and enjoyable life someday.

Miserable ?? I think we all got a pretty good chuckle out of it ! Lighten up!

And yea, if he plays that thing in your cabin, he's gonna bother your neighbors .. the walls are pretty thin.

...., so if he plays it in the room you should not hear it. (Right? I don't know, this is my first cruise.).....

I have not heard the TV from another room.

But you might want to see your neighbors, and let them know.

That way if they do hear it, they will call you, and not security.

Enjoy your cruise, but be forewarned, you will probably be addicted to them. :D

It's great that you both support each other. Since this is his hobby or passion, I am not sure, if it were me, I would want him to bring it with us on THIS vacation. How comfortable would he be getting in the water and leaving it on the beach, or getting sand in it or scratched from the sand.

He can bring it, I just don't know if he has really thought through what all is entailed to secure it during an excursion...

I agree the ukulele is MUCH safer as a carry-on, I wouldn't dare check it with the porters. It is not a prohibited item and you may carry on as much as you can manage. Enjoy!

Don't listen to the haters. As long as you're respectful with when/where you play it, go for it!

Quote- "Thank you to those who actually answered the question. I will let him know that he may take it as carry-on as well as his backpack. As for the rest of you, I hope that whatever it is that is causing you to be miserable is soon remedied and you're able to have a happy and enjoyable life someday."

I'll tell you what would make me miserable... Your boyfriend playing his "musical instrument" near me! He may want to put flotation devices on it prior to boarding!!! Stateroom walls are thin, and rest assured if he played it next to me, security would be visiting. :D:D

Have a great time on your first cruise and enjoy the ukulele. Of course you will be considerate of others. The tone of your post certainly indicates that. And tell your boyfriend that if anyone attempts to or threatens to throw him or his ukulele overboard to smack them in the head with it. Too many posters on these boards like to bitch and complain. I just amazes me and sometimes entertains me to no end. For all the negative posters out there, take comfort in the fact that you will soon be at the buffet in the Windjammer stuffing you negative pie holes with meatloaf and tapioca pudding. At least with your mouths full her boyfriend won't have to hear the sounds of your moaning and groaning. Cruising is enjoyed in many different ways by many different people. Learn that not everyone is like you and not everyone will like you. Try being the positive in someone's day not the dingleberry in their arse.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Learning to play the uke too and I like his enthusiasm. What a charming instrument and it can be played very softly. ;);)

Could be a lot of fun on the beach and you could make a lot of friends with it.

As for me, I plan to leave my uke at home as it would just be something else I would have to worry about while traveling.

Good luck and keep strummin'! :cool:

Lmarie, don't let the posters get to you. You'll find that even 90% of the most negative will be fun on a cruise. Most of us have cruised many times. We, of course, develop our quirks. Many of us have experienced noise or smokers (don't go there) or loud partiers on balconies that has driven us off. Some people are just sensitive to noises when they are trying to enjoy the peace of their cabin or balcony. Understood. I don't want to listen to other people's music either. But a Ukulele is a beautiful sound. I would enjoy hearing it in the afternoon on my balcony while I enjoy the ocean slipping by. And as others have said, you are obviously sensitive to the possibility of disturbing others. So, I say bring it.

You'll have a wonderful cruise. You'll also find that if you meet anyone who answered your post, positive or negative, likely you'll find they we are all very nice and a lot of fun on a cruise.

wrong. the walls are very thin and yes it is entirely possible the sound would carry. he should not pay it anywhere on board at all.

I think it's great that he wants to bring it! My son plays, so I know that they can be played quietly enough not to be heard through cabin walls anymore than a TV would be. Most people are friendly enough on a cruise that you can ask them if the playing is bothersome. I never run into as many rude, self-center people on a cruise than I have on these boards. (Keyboards and monitors make people say things that they would never say to your face... )

Anyway, I would suggest that if this is your first cruise, that your boyfriend may not even have time to play! We always bring stuff to do, books, crosswords, etc. and never get to any of those things!

Have a great cruise!

This is actually one of my favorite songs when I just want to relax. It is beautiful.

How comfortable would he be getting in the water and leaving it on the beach, or getting sand in it or scratched from the sand.

He can bring it, I just don't know if he has really thought through what all is entailed to secure it during an excursion...

Secure it?! ... Who would steal it ??

Edited by F27TW

This is actually one of my favorite songs when I just want to relax. It is beautiful.

It is a special song to our family. Our daughter was born with a rare and non-recoverable brain disorder. This was one of the songs that we played at her funeral. It is a beautiful song.

A guy on the Liberty repositioning cruise was carrying a Shofar (Ram's Horn) and blasting it from the Helipad on the bow of the ship as early as 05:30 AM last week.

This stopped on about day 7 of the 12 day sailing and maybe he had an inside cabin, which explains the choice of the helipad and not his 'own' balcony.

The Captain probably told him... "Don't call us, if it gets foggy we'll call you..."