New Beverage Package Promotions (Liberty)

MADflyer

Wow, that's a great promotion! I wish Princess would offer a discount to its Elites and a drink card like its coffee card!

There is another element to this discount program.

Royal Caribbean offers lounges with unlimited limited selection drinks every evening. While some see it as the cocktail hour for which it is intended, there are others that remain in the lounge for hours.

On this Liberty sailing there were a great number of top-tier Crown and Anchor members.

They took the Diamond lounge away from Diamonds nightly and gave it to the D+, Pinnacle and suite passengers from 4 PM daily. Diamonds were offered the deck 5 forward lounge only and it was very, very crowded with long lines for drinks and in my opinion a quite unpleasant venue.

That is why this offer for C&A members may be just to further prevent the crowding in the lounges and not a change in fleet-wide strategy. That will be known with time.

I hope they expand the C&A drink package discount to the other ships.

Doing a 4 day to the Bahamas in February. The 10 drinks voucher I'd buy. I feel like the drunk package might not be as great as they hope since I'm sure people feel the need to drink a ton to justify the cost. In the end that's not as profitable. The light drinkers like myself drink less because the package isn't worth it and the price is so high.

Best typo today! ;) :D

At that point, Liberty offered a new $67, 10 drink coupon voucher that was available for sale up until the final day of the sailing. These 10 drink vouchers could be used in any bar for any beverage up to a $14 value.

Unique to this $67 voucher was that it could be shared. It was only available on the last 3 days of the sailing.

Royal Caribbean, I will purchase this type of package

it is exactly what I said should have been offered for years and been condemned for suggesting.

The discount level is smart. It would allow me to drink what I want with the package but not feel like I was losing my diamond perks. I live and work in a tourist area and the ship drinks are the same prices as where I work, I just assumed that is the price of the scenery.:D

I wonder if they gave a credit to people who pre-paid for a drink package?

The offer was very heavily promoted and I would think they would have had to have done that. As many had OBC on the sailing for various reasons, I imagine many had waited to purchase the drink packages anyway.

I did not overhear any 'grumbling' about them not doing so. I am sure if they had not extended the discount many would have been complaining.

I do think the refund for the 10/20/30/40 or 50% would appear as additional OBC on the cabin statement and not a direct refund.

There is another element to this discount program.

Royal Caribbean offers lounges with unlimited limited selection drinks every evening. While some see it as the cocktail hour for which it is intended, there are others that remain in the lounge for hours.

On this Liberty sailing there were a great number of top-tier Crown and Anchor members.

They took the Diamond lounge away from Diamonds nightly and gave it to the D+, Pinnacle and suite passengers from 4 PM daily. Diamonds were offered the deck 5 forward lounge only and it was very, very crowded with long lines for drinks and in my opinion a quite unpleasant venue.

That is why this offer for C&A members may be just to further prevent the crowding in the lounges and not a change in fleet-wide strategy. That will be known with time.

I hope they expand the C&A drink package discount to the other ships.

OR,

this is the first test of eliminating D from the lounges AND eliminating the 3 drink vouchers for EVERYONE. The discount on the packages would be seen by management as being ROUGHLY equivalent to giving away 3 "FREE" drinks.

This would turn the lounges into D+/P ( with the same perks) ...SUITE would get the current CL (with the same perks) and D would get the discounted packages.

Sorry...that's the skeptic/realist in me talking!

We were on that recent 12 night cruise. As mentioned, the C&A discount on high level drink packages was heavily promoted on that cruise. Signs everywhere, it seemed. We still decided against it; we just do not consume enough outside of DL/CL cocktail hours to justify it.

We stayed on for a B2B, so we are currently on the 9 night sailing. I have not seen any ads for C&A discounts for drink packages on this 9 night sailing. So far, I have not seen ads for the punch card either, though there is still time for that promo.

On the 9 night cruise, there are still many loyalty members aboard, though not as many as on the 12 nighter. I will not be surprised if discount offer on certain beverage packages on the 12 nighter was a one-time trial (an attempt to sell packages when few might otherwise be sold and also to see how many C &A members might actually buy them).

Edited by Starry Eyes

We were on that recent 12 night cruise. As mentioned, the C&A discount on high level drink packages was heavily promoted on that cruise. Signs everywhere, it seemed. We still decided against it; we just do not consume enough outside of DL/CL cocktail hours to justify it.

We stayed on for a B2B, so we are currently on the 9 night sailing. I have not seen any ads for C&A discounts for drink packages on this 9 night sailing. So far, I have not seen ads for the punch card either, though there is still time for that promo.

On the 9 night cruise, there are still many loyalty members aboard, though not as many as on the 12 nighter. I will not be surprised if discount offer on certain beverage packages on the 12 nighter was a one-time trial (an attempt to sell packages when few might otherwise be sold and also to see how many C &A members might actually buy them).

Very interesting.

OR,

this is the first test of eliminating D from the lounges AND eliminating the 3 drink vouchers for EVERYONE. The discount on the packages would be seen by management as being ROUGHLY equivalent to giving away 3 "FREE" drinks.

This would turn the lounges into D+/P ( with the same perks) ...SUITE would get the current CL (with the same perks) and D would get the discounted packages.

Sorry...that's the skeptic/realist in me talking!

Well... I must disclaim that I actually made Diamond + on this sailing and I would actually be in favor of even deeper discounts on the drink packages for eliminating the cocktail hour.

It would be much better if all those interesting people were not just huddled in small groups downing free drinks in the lounge and could be out with me all around the ship enjoying all that the sea, sail aways and the ship have to offer.

It was a bit depressing right from the start when I saw the lounge was packed on deck 5 before we even went under the bridge on that amazing sail away from Bayonne.

I found the lounge a major annoyance and the lines to get drinks a bit desperate. I gave up after a few days and went about enjoying the usual things I always enjoyed at that hour.

Well... I must disclaim that I actually made Diamond + on this sailing and I would actually be in favor of even deeper discounts on the drink packages for eliminating the cocktail hour.

It would be much better if all those interesting people were not just huddled in small groups downing free drinks in the lounge and could be out with me all around the ship enjoying all that the sea, sail aways and the ship have to offer.

It was a bit depressing right from the start when I saw the lounge was packed on deck 5 before we even went under the bridge on that amazing sail away from Bayonne.

I found the lounge a major annoyance and the lines to get drinks a bit desperate. I gave up after a few days and went about enjoying the usual things I always enjoyed at that hour.

In fairness, all those people packed in the designated Diamond space could have been elsewhere. They all had three drink vouchers loaded on their sea pass cards, so they could have used them at a bar out on deck to enjoy the sail away from Bayonne...or any other night. If three were not enough, they could have gone to the designated lounge after their three were used to have more drinks. for what it is worth the D+ area was also packed last cruise. Worse this cruise with both D and D+ packed into catacomb deck three...SRO and no view. We are elsewhere, happy to have a view and vouchers.

I would definitely buy one of those cards!

Thanks for sharing - even though I may never see one. Live Report from Indy advises no current discount promotions onboard. Oh well....

Thanks