Advice requested on transfers from Brooklyn to NYC airports

tangerine9

We are arriving at Brooklyn after a Quebec to New York cruise next October.

Before we return to the UK we are spending a week touring through the Carolinas ,Virginia and Washington ( and visiting our 50th US state-South Carolina) .

There are flights to Atlanta out of both La Guardia and JFK at 11am, and we would therefore be walking off early rather than waiting for a Princess transfer.

We would welcome any advice on which airport would be easiest to get to considering it will be the time of the morning commute on a Wednesday.

Any options on how the transfer could be made would also be welcome.

Edited by tangerine9

We are arriving at Brooklyn after a Quebec to New York cruise next October.

Before we return to the UK we are spending a week touring through the Carolinas ,Virginia and Washington ( and visiting our 50th US state-South Carolina) .

There are flights to Atlanta out of both La Guardia and JFK at 11am, and we would therefore be walking off early rather than waiting for a Princess transfer.

We would welcome any advice on which airport would be easiest to get to considering it will be the time of the morning commute on a Wednesday.

Any options on how the transfer could be made would also be welcome.

Here is a car service to LaGuardia Airport or Jfk http://www.dial7.com/

Estimated Yellow Taxicab fare rates, where tolls and tips are not included, are provided below for your convenience:

•John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal: approximately $45 – $60

•La Guardia Airport (LGA) to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal: approximately $28 – $38

Atlanta ? I would fly to Charlotte North Carolina.

Edited by runner15km

Flights out of LGA or JFK at 11 am is too close for comfort, IMO, both of them our "home" airports - if there's any delays docking & during self walk-off with luggage for disembarkation, issues with immigraiton/customs and with car service booked. Travel time on weekends is typically 30 to 45 minutes to LGA and 45 to 60 minutes to JFK, plus adding 30+ minutes for cushion with good weather & more if roads are wet from rain or showers. Security screening tend to be faster & lines not as long at LGA, Delta (DL) having its own terminal is also quite nice with its ATL hub connections.

Just as a suggestion, consider taking Amtrak from NY's Penn Station to DC's Union Station (and, possibly continue to Richmond, VA or points further south) comfortable ride with porter service for luggage, if necessary, downtown to downtown in 3 to 4 hours. Then, rent a car to sightsee or whatever.

Amtrak travel (regular/limited stops vs. faster/pricer HST/Metroliner) is actually competitive on time & pricing vs. flying to DCA, especially when you add the cost of car service/taxi to either LGA or JFK - and Metro (DCA's subway/train service) has limited hours/schedule on weekends.

Point is please book flights after noon or 1 PM for NY's connection to DCA/ATL, etc. and that many are flown on smaller 50 or 75 seaters "regional" jets by partner commuter airlines - with very limited space in the cabin for even Euro-sized carry-on bags.

The difference in distance between JFK and Lga as stated is minimal. Book the most convenient least expensive flight. But as others have noted flying into ATL doesn't make sense. Can you be a little more specific with your plans? Maybe we can offer better advice.

Thanks for the replies.

We picked Atlanta for a couple of reasons.

As stated in my earlier post we wish to see South Carolina as it is the only US state that we have not yet visited, and Atlanta is relatively close.

Since we want to make the most of our limited time, the larger number of flights to Atlanta rather than to airports such as Charleston or Charlotte is more convenient to us.

We have toured the States extensively over the last 30 years, but there are still areas that we have not visited hence this add-on to the cruise.

One further question while considering our flight options - I presume that it would take longer to transfer to Newark from Brooklyn Cruise terminal than to LGA or JFK.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Ok, Amtrak train would be out with ATL as your destination - is your cruise disembarking on a Saturday or Sunday morning next October, as weekday traffic, even mid/late morning would be totally unpredictable. (Not that it's necessary better or faster on weekday due to planned & unplanned road work/reconstruction on area's aging highways, i.e. Belt Parkway - popular route from Brooklyn's Pier 12 to JFK - had 2 lanes closed on Sunday morning for repair (out of 3). Going thru local city streets with traffic lights & stop signs would be at least 1 hour to 75 minutes.

EWR (Newark Airport) will be higher on car service fares & longer travel time (90+ minutes, depending on the route taken + tolls) - Carmel online quoting a fare of $68 for a std. 4 door sedan or $75 for a deluxe or luxury 4 door, which will fit 3 pax + 3 checked luggage (and, smaller carry-ons) comfortable. Minivan is $78, good for 4 to 5 pax + luggage. Add tolls & tips.

I would price out fare savings out of LGA/JFK vs. EWR and factor in extra travel time (+30 minutes or more) and higher car service fares - and, look at flights after 1 PM just to play it safe - with int'l departure out of EWR's 3 terminals, security screening is also slower with longer lines, whereas LGA is all domestic flights.

Nowadays, we much rather spend a little extra time once we are airside, use the club lounge to wait & relax, not get caught with unexpected traffic (and, escalated security screening within the past several days) than to rush & worry about missing a flight/connection - trip insurance is useless if later flights are fully booked & sold out and the airline cannot put you on standby for the next available flight until the following day.

I wouldn't deal with EWR from Brooklyn. You need to cross not one but two river crossings. That in itself is a crapshoot. Add the extra tolls and cab fare and it's just not worth it. The only time it's worth it is if it's the only nonstop flight available that day. NYC to ATL plenty of choices.

Ok, Amtrak train would be out with ATL as your destination - is your cruise disembarking on a Saturday or Sunday morning next October, as weekday traffic, even mid/late morning would be totally unpredictable. (Not that it's necessary better or faster on weekday due to planned & unplanned road work/reconstruction on area's aging highways, i.e. Belt Parkway - popular route from Brooklyn's Pier 12 to JFK - had 2 lanes closed on Sunday morning for repair (out of 3). Going thru local city streets with traffic lights & stop signs would be at least 1 hour to 75 minutes.

EWR (Newark Airport) will be higher on car service fares & longer travel time (90+ minutes, depending on the route taken + tolls) - Carmel online quoting a fare of $68 for a std. 4 door sedan or $75 for a deluxe or luxury 4 door, which will fit 3 pax + 3 checked luggage (and, smaller carry-ons) comfortable. Minivan is $78, good for 4 to 5 pax + luggage. Add tolls & tips.

I would price out fare savings out of LGA/JFK vs. EWR and factor in extra travel time (+30 minutes or more) and higher car service fares - and, look at flights after 1 PM just to play it safe - with int'l departure out of EWR's 3 terminals, security screening is also slower with longer lines, whereas LGA is all domestic flights.

Nowadays, we much rather spend a little extra time once we are airside, use the club lounge to wait & relax, not get caught with unexpected traffic (and, escalated security screening within the past several days) than to rush & worry about missing a flight/connection - trip insurance is useless if later flights are fully booked & sold out and the airline cannot put you on standby for the next available flight until the following day.

Thanks for the information

The cruise arrives in Brooklyn on a Wednesday so we will be travelling during the weekday morning commute. We will probably fly out of La Guardia.

Looking at Google maps the route to LGA from the cruise terminal appears to be on I-278 (I don't know the actual name of this freeway). How busy is this road on a normal weekday morning.

Thanks for the information

The cruise arrives in Brooklyn on a Wednesday so we will be travelling during the weekday morning commute. We will probably fly out of La Guardia.

Looking at Google maps the route to LGA from the cruise terminal appears to be on I-278 (I don't know the actual name of this freeway). How busy is this road on a normal weekday morning.

All the highways are BUSY weekdays.

You are claiming being short on time, yet adding extra transfer time by flying to Atlanta? Then backtracking? Are you then renting a car? And will be flying out of Atlanta back to the UK?

As already mentioned, since it appears you are not familiar with NYC transfers- it is not a good idea for you to consider that 11am flight. At the latest, you would have to be on the road by 8:30a. Are you high status or going to be in the top suites? Chancy even with walk off.

Amtrak isn't likely to take much longer than all your airport and flying time.

The cruise arrives in Brooklyn on a Wednesday so we will be travelling during the weekday morning commute. We will probably fly out of La Guardia. Looking at Google maps the route to LGA from the cruise terminal appears to be on I-278 (I don't know the actual name of this freeway). How busy is this road on a normal weekday morning.

As noted above, NYC is like/worst than London when it comes to weekday traffic, I-278 is the one & only highway/motorway/expressway going to/from LGA - heavy traffic & busy with commuters, trucks & buses - everyone is on the road, easing up maybe after 10 AM. By then, the road works & construction or ongoing repair crews are out on the roadway doing maintenance and lane closure. It's a relatively short drive, under 20 miles but allow 60 to 75 minutes as it's often bumper-to-bumper, as a "moving parking lot" of vehicles to/from the airport on I-278, the Brooklyn Queens Expxy - one of the nearest entrance near Hamilton Avenue, most good drivers from Carmel or Dial7, or the local car service know how to get on, or from Atlantic Avenue entrance by the waterfront.

On an exceptionally bad day, Flushing Avenue as a local street alternative, not a fast shortcut, to go thru different neighborhood to bypass the highway, get from Brooklyn to Queens, and then either get back onto I-278 after the major bottleneck or continue via Northern Blvd. or other local routes to LGA ... that can easily take more than 75 to 90+ minutes, as nowadays - half of the drivers including UPS/FedEx, etc. are using GPS or Google Maps or Waze, etc. for real-time traffic navigations.

In other words, LGA is your most convenient gateway to ATL, and, DL (Delta) has frequent flights - just avoid booking the small regional jets, as those are most prone to delays & cancellations - I see MD-88's and MD-90's or bigger jets flown, a 2 PM departure would be ideal (a safe "bet") whereas the 1 PM "should" suffice - with time to grab a lunch before flying inside DL's own terminal. Late morning/midday airport security at LGA is usually smooth & lines move quickly.

We cruised in September and were flying out from JFK on Sunday. The cruise line said no flights should be booked earlier than noon at any airport and recommended later than 1:00 as a better choice. I don't know how much closer LaGuardia is, but we encountered no traffic delays and were off the ship fairly quickly. It was still about 10:15 when we arrived at JFK, and it was just a little before 11:00 when we cleared security. Having an 11:00 flight would have been a huge stresser. We had booked a 2:00 flight and found that we were able to travel without worrying if we would be late, and we used the time at the airport to grab food in a relaxed state of mind, which worked well for us.

Just to add to your woes, there is a major construction project (one of many) on I-278 to replace the Kosciuszko Bridge that has been adding time to every one of my commutes. Even though I278 is not closed the traffic backup can be bigger than usual.

Here is the link to BQE (I278) and LIE (I495) closures.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/kbridge/closures

Edited by Brighton Line

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Anthem in late April 2016 and going to Barcelona to join the Ovation. Being from Nevada, would like advice on what service options we have to get to JFK for our flight. We disembark on a Thursday and fly out same day at 5:40 PM. Although we are pretty well versed in European public transportation, I am not sure we want to attempt to utilize subways or trains with our luggage. Would appreciate any advice, links or experiences for us. We currently are on a ship and will be in South America for 10 days so web access will be limited with regards to viewing on a daily basis, so please understand if no response immediately. I understand reluctance to use email, but ours is vivalvegas@aol.com if anyone cares to email. Thank you so much for any help.

Bob and Carla