Quick Question - Traveling with a Baby

Have not cruised in some time as we just had a baby girl in September and moved into a new house. My wife and I were talking about potentially planning a trip next summer but I had a couple of questions for all as follows:

1) Our baby girl will be nearly 1 year old. Do you think that is simply to young to travel? We are intending on traveling with both sides of the family on this trip

2) When I went to price a trip, is it correct that she will be paying full price for her cruise fare?

3) We love the Oasis/Allure and am eyeing a modified eastern to St Kitts, anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance.

Have not cruised in some time as we just had a baby girl in September and moved into a new house. My wife and I were talking about potentially planning a trip next summer but I had a couple of questions for all as follows:

1) Our baby girl will be nearly 1 year old. Do you think that is simply to young to travel? We are intending on traveling with both sides of the family on this trip This makes a world of difference.....having help from loved ones.

2) When I went to price a trip, is it correct that she will be paying full price for her cruise fare?Unfortunately, yes

3) We love the Oasis/Allure and am eyeing a modified eastern to St Kitts, anyone else have any suggestions?You picked the best ships....EVER.

See above in red. Is your name Marley????? That is my grand daughters name.

Edited by champagne123
cccc

1) Our baby girl will be nearly 1 year old. Do you think that is simply to young to travel? We are intending on traveling with both sides of the family on this trip

I traveled by myself with my son when he was that age -- traveling with tons of helpers who will be chomping at the bit to take turns holding the baby would have been my idea of paradise!

Make arrangements to take turns with childcare so everyone has fun, and it's not an issue at all.

2) When I went to price a trip, is it correct that she will be paying full price for her cruise fare?

Yes and no.... there is sometimes a discount for the 3rd and 4th person in the same cabin, in which case she would be charged that discounted rate. Otherwise, she's a person and she pays full fare.

3) We love the Oasis/Allure and am eyeing a modified eastern to St Kitts, anyone else have any suggestions?

This is so subjective that I can't even begin to offer a suggestion.... figure out what you/your family like to do/see and then go from there.

1: If it were me, I'd say oh hell yes UNLESS there would be many other people willing to babysit so that I could get a nice dinner in a specialty restaurant in with my spouse and/or other adults. a 1 year old will need to be with you 24/7 and that is NO way to recharge or vacation. plus once she goes down for the night, you are now stuck in the cabin as well.

2: there is no children's pricing. persons one and 2 will pay the prevailing rate. persons 3 and up in a cabin will pay less but sometimes not a lot less. and they will be expected to pay the full gratuities as well

3: not a fan of the mega ships but if you do bring her you will need a ship that has the full Nursery program( to include babysitting for a cost) as well as the splash zone for the diaper set.

Many Royal Caribbean ships have nurseries now where you can take your little one, if you are comfortable with that.

Some Royal ships, including Oasis and Allure, have a splash area for kids in swim diapers, if that is important to you.

My little one was just crawling and starting to walk at 1. Keep that in mind if you are a worrier about dirt, etc. on the floor.

This is sort of not what you asked, but if you've never taken a vacation with your extended family before, make sure you understand everyone's expectations and make sure those align with what you and your wife want and what is best for your little one. I think cruises are a great idea for extended family trips, but not if one party has different expectations. (For example if the grandparents expect to have baby all the time or not at all, if aunts and uncle think everyone will be hanging out as a group 24/7 and you hoped to do your own thing some days, etc.) Sounds silly, but can ruin what would've been a nice vacation.

The family board has great ideas regarding traveling with a little one. I'm taking my almost 2 year old soon and it's been a great help for research.

Edited by wampuscat7

Just a heads up about the infant policy if you decide on a different ship. Since your child will be under 1, you will not be able to sail on an itinerary that has 3 or more sea days in a row or a transatlantic and a few others. Here is a link for you:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&pnav=4&snav=2&faqId=309&faqSubjectName=Top+FAQ&

Also, as others have said, many ships have a nursery. Just make sure when you are checking that you see Royal Babies and Tots Nursery and not just Royal Babies and Tots program. Those are two different things, the program is just a play group for kids and their parents. There has been much confusion in the past since these have such similar names.

Wow- I just want to say thanks so much for the great info. It is reactions like this that make me come back to this board time and time again.

Great insight on family expectations, which we believe we have down, and a little disappointing on pricing to be honest but it is what it is. I get it, company has to make money.

The one surprise I did get is about the comment regarding sea days. Thank you so much as I had no idea over this policy.

Just wanted to say, thanks again all.

She is definitely full price, but it makes sense because the room steward is cleaning up after her and taking out the trash and once you get on board you will see how well she is treated and not feel bad at all about paying the extra. I certainly don't. My son is two and has been on six cruises so no I do not think she is too young to go LOL. The funniest part is I tip way above and beyond now just because your level of service increases like crazy with a kiddo. Everyone is falling over themselves to make sure the baby has the best year possible. My little guys first cruise was it six months and six days that he has loved everyone of them. Keep in mind that on the smaller ships there is no place for the babies to swim. You have to do freedom class or oasis class to have a pool for non-potty trained children. Also, the oasis class ships have an awesome toddler playground :-) all of the ships have the option to rent toys (although usually bring our own so he has his favorites) and nightly time set aside for playgroups, music time, storytime, etc.

I believe the full price fare is because of lifeboats, everyone including babies have to have their own seat in the life boat. So for every baby on board that is one adult who can not sail. That is why babies and children are classed the same in regards to fares.

Cruised with toddler, she had a great time with aunties along we all took it in turns to mind the baby at night and nap time. I must admit we all loved nap time, on several occasions we all went for a nap together ☺. Some excursions we planned together some we did separately. we pretty much had it loosely planned before we went. One day weather was really bad so mommy and baby stayed on board while we braved the torrential rain☺

She also enjoyed the shows but we brought toys along to distract her in case she got fussy. The same with dinner we fed her first and then brought her to dinning room with book or toy. She was pretty well behaved, no tantrums ☺ and restaurant staff spoilt her rotten bringing her a little bowl of ice cream each night☺ we all had a great time.

We first sailed with our son when he was 7 mo - 12 nights on the Mediterranean. I would say a cruise is a perfect way to vacation with kids: the adults get to see different things at different ports while everything else is taken care of at the ship. Vacations will always be different when travelling with kids than when travelling with adults, but I don't see it as a negative thing. Yes, it's true you willå probably have early nights in the stateroom, but I remember how it felt like a luxury with a baby to be able to have free time in the stateroom after he'd gone to sleep: we'd order in from the room service, sit on the balcony talking or watching movies. You really don't miss a late night dinner or a night club when you have a baby.

Also, the ships's crew were wonderful with him: we were able to have dinner on many nights at the MDR because they would keep him entertained, and he got to know the crew and loved them. If he got tired, the crew would arrange for us to have the rest of the meal delivered to our stateroom.

And no, they don't do discounts for kids.