December Cruise: too formal?

katienotes

Taking our young children on their first cruise in December. Short cruise, Bahamas, Carnival.

My daughters have asked me to wear my "pretty dress" - technically, it's a ballgown. Way beyond the evening gowns or cocktail dresses I'm used to.

So: is this too much? I'm really more interested in making my kids happy than anyone else, since I go home with my kids ;) But I don't want to be "that woman" dressed way too far on the boat.

Help?

(Photo is of my friend in the dress. I am taller, and don't wear tiaras. ;) I have a black velvet jacket I wear with the dress. )

FB_IMG_1447721289758.jpg.c695bfec363985d94356a4e1c4b2aee1.jpg

You typically won't find many people dressed up on a 3-4 night Carnival cruise. If you decide to wear it, I would suggest leaving the velvet jacket at home and bring a pashima scarf along. It's your cruise and wear what makes you and your children happy.

Edited by cruisinwithmaandpa

As others have said, you may be one of only a few but if it makes you happy that's all that matters. I find the older I get, the less I care what other people think. Life is so fleeting and a missed opportunity can never be recovered. Enjoy!

Rep

I think the dress is pretty and you should wear it, if that's what you want. I'm sure there will be others with gowns on. You will see some gowns, cocktail dresses, slacks w/nice tops. If that's what your daughters want, than go for it....and have pictures taken so you can share with your daughters in the future.

As others have said, you may be one of only a few but if it makes you happy that's all that matters. I find the older I get, the less I care what other people think. Life is so fleeting and a missed opportunity can never be recovered. Enjoy!

Rep

^^^^^^^^^

This, from the man who wore a kilt.:D

We have found Christmastime cruises to be dressier than others, with children as well as grownups in very dressy dresses, suits and ties. Are your daughters planning to take special dresses? I would do it; it looks like a beautiful dress, and it's a special time together.

I think it's nice that your daughter's have ask you to wear it so that would be nice. Either way get lots of photos on your cruise with the family. You are making memories that will last for a lifetime and the photos will allow you and the family to relive them in the years to come.

Keith