Should I be concerned about such short port days?

djpk2003

I am gearing up for my first cruise in April and as I research and plan the things I'd like to do in the various ports, I'm a bit concerned and confused. We will be sailing the Norwegian Gem and two of our stops are only a few short hours. We are in San Juan from 3pm-9pm and in Tortola from 7am-1pm. Are those short, or is it just me? Can you really see and do things in that time period? I am still wrapping my head around the concept and am definitely worried and trying to account for time to get off the ship when we dock and then plenty of time to board before departing. Am I worried for nothing? Do the short time frames limit us to only do Norwegian's excursions?

In my opinion, the length of those stops is limiting. I wouldn't say you can only do NCL excursions, but unless you're doing an NCL one, I wouldn't venture too far from the ship --look for things to do that you don't have to worry about traffic, road conditions, etc. affecting your ability to get back in plenty of time. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself, but does mean you have to put some thought into it.

Your Tortola port time is a huge disadvantage, especially for all the great tours you can do there.

There are compromises with cruising, it's up to YOU to determine how far you want to go. It doesn't sound like you have even figured out what you would want to do there, yet?

It should come down to YOUR priorities. IF there is some activity/area that you want to see/do, and you can't because of this short time- a different itinerary would offer it, and this one won't.

Going with ship tours- with these short port times, can offer a good solution.

When I want to spend time on the islands, I fly to the islands. When I want to cruise, I cruise. Even if your stops were a few hours longer, it really isn't time to experience these places. Do what you can, and don't think of it as a vacation to the islands. Port stops while cruising are nothing more than a sample or tease.

That said, if you spend some time visiting the ports of call forums here at CC, and also googling each of the locations to do extensive research, you will come up with plenty of things to do other than what is offered by the cruise.

I have Tortola and San Juan as some as port stops for my Breakaway trip and I have to say Tortola is more limited in time than San Juan because it's mostly in the morning. I am NOT getting up at 5 or 6am in the morning just to do a 7-8am tour/beach/whatever; maybe a shore excursion at 9-10am but definitely not a 7-8 am one in the morning - I want to sleep in! I took Tortola as a free buffer day and took a 3pm walking tour for San Juan.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

I appreciate the feedback. I understand I won't really be able to see and do a lot, but the more I dig into my planning the more I'm realizing just how little it allows time for! I'm definitely concerned that these two stops are so brief. We are thinking of doing the Baths excursion in Tortola thru NCL. We had planned to just do our own thing in San Juan, I just fear we'll spend more time aimlessly trying to figure things out than anything else (hence the planning now).

All the cruise lines are shortening times in ports...they want you ON the ship to spend your money with THEM! I don't like only a few hours...it almost forces you to do a ship's excursion, if you are going any distance from the dock....

You will need to be back ON the ship 30 mins. prior to the stated sail away time.

One thing we enjoy in San Juan cause you get in so late is just walking around Old San Juan. The ship docks right there and the old city is beautiful just to walk around. We tried going to El Morro Fort Once and it was closing when we got there. I find Old San Juan veryt safe and the architecture and cobble stone streets are beautiful.

I appreciate the feedback. I understand I won't really be able to see and do a lot, but the more I dig into my planning the more I'm realizing just how little it allows time for! I'm definitely concerned that these two stops are so brief. We are thinking of doing the Baths excursion in Tortola thru NCL. We had planned to just do our own thing in San Juan, I just fear we'll spend more time aimlessly trying to figure things out than anything else (hence the planning now).

We did the Baths in the same amount of time as you have with an NCL arranged tour. There was plenty of time. BUT the tour came back late, so it was good that the ship had to wait for us... otherwise we would have been SOL.

Even if you were at port longer, not much more would be done. Don't put your imagination into over drive. A port stop is really a teaser with no way to get a full experience of any country.

Definitely do the Baths excursion through NCL. They are very special to see and the ship will always wait for their own excursions if they are late. You can't possibly go there on your own with so little time.

We choose our cruises for the ports, and do not appreciate these short days when they happen. A full day gives lots of interesting options, half days are incredibly limiting.

From previous experiences on various cruise lines, Tortola has always been a short excursion. The Baths is wonderful. One of my favourite spots on this planet! Definitely opt for an NCL shore excursion because of the limited time, a personal favorite of mine is the snorkelling excursion. And book ahead of time... I've once or twice been forced to book another excursion since it was sold out!

Enjoy your cruise!

One thing we enjoy in San Juan cause you get in so late is just walking around Old San Juan. The ship docks right there and the old city is beautiful just to walk around. We tried going to El Morro Fort Once and it was closing when we got there. I find Old San Juan veryt safe and the architecture and cobble stone streets are beautiful.

I haven't been to San Juan on a cruise for a few years; however, the first time the ship docked right in the Old San Juan area. The second time it docked at the new docking facility across the bay. The only way to get to Old San Juan was to take a cab. You need to check which dock your ship will be located and plan from there.

Enjoy your cruise even if you're only getting a taste of each island.

We have done that itinerary on the Gem and we love it. San Juan we walk around the streets of old San Juan and have a nice dinner at Barrachina. Last minute stop at CVS for anything we may need before heading back to the ship.

Tortola you can grab a taxi and head to the beach for 3 hours that is more than enough time to just relax. Enjoy your cruise :)

We did the same, was a very relaxing day, loved seeing the forts coming into the harbor. On your first cruise it is important to enjoy what happens when it happens and not obsess with making the maximum use out of every minute, there will be future cruises.

My cruise has the same limited time in Tortola. I'm not going to risk missing the ship...that's the only port where I've booked a ship's excursion. It's a ridiculously short time, I agree.

I am also in Tortola from 7am-1pm, we are doing the Virgin Gorda Baths, I have heard such wonderful things about this tour. It's too bad though, as Tortola is one of my favorite islands