No Private Island for us

jfkny

I can count at east four times we've missed either Half Moon Cay (HAL) or GSC. It's just a risk on islands with no wind break at the anchorage. I recall one cruise when we stopped at Grand Cayman and the winds were so bad the Captain anchored the ship on the back side of the island where is was much less windy, and we tendered in there and were bussed to downtown Georgetown.

Through the years and a great many scheduled stops at Half Moon Cay with HAL, we probably were forced to bypass the island about 25% of the time. There were times it was a bright sunny day but the seas were too rough for safe tendering.

Through the years and a great many scheduled stops at Half Moon Cay with HAL, we probably were forced to bypass the island about 25% of the time. There were times it was a bright sunny day but the seas were too rough for safe tendering.

That was the case today. Sunny and beautiful, but a great deal of wind. We were disappointed but they quickly refunded our money for the cabana we reserved, so instead our Vibe and Internet were covered.

We missed it two weeks ago unfortunately. Dropped anchor and watched two tenders make the shore before all aborted. Weather was sunny but more windy by the minute. People that got on the 1st tender were seasoned cruisers and spent the rest of the day back onboard BA unable to eat/drink. It was that rough on the tender they said.

We will just have to try again next time. Best bet is for the Spring instead of Fall.

Here is last year's results:

Breakaway GSC 2014/15

October 8....Made it

Oct 15, 2014...Made it

Oct. 22, 2014...Made it

Oct. 29, 2014...Made it

Nov. 5, 2014...Did Not Make it

Nov. 12, 2014...Made it

Nov. 19, 2014...Did Not Make

Nov. 26, 2014...Made it

Dec. 3, 2014...Did Not Make it

Dec. 10, 2014...Did Not Make it

Dec. 17, 2014...Made it

Dec. 24, 2014...Made it

Dec. 31, 2014...Made it

Feb. 18, 2015...Did Not Make it

Feb. 25, 2015...Made it

Mar. 4, 2015...Made it

Mar. 11, 2015...Made it

Mar. 18, 2015...Made it

Mar. 25, 2015...Made it

April 1,2015...Made it

April 8, 2015...Made it

April 15, 2015...Made it

April 22, 2015...Made it

Safe Sailing!

Are all of the private islands tender ports? Or is it just the larger ships that can't dock directly?

NCL currently only has one private island, GSC. GCS is a tender port for all ships.

Their new island in Belize (opening next year) is suppose to have a dock.

Edited by BirdTravels

Is there a certain time of year where the seas are usually rougher? I've thought of booking one of these cruises, but I always hear about how GSC is usually skipped.

Just make sure you're on a cruise that I'm on. I must have been there 12 times and never missed one yet :)

We made it to GSC finally last Wednesday on the Breakaway it was a perfect day!! I was praying since I booked the cruise in February that we would make it there. Considering we've missed it on almost all our other past sailings that were scheduled to stop there. I knew the week before our sailing they missed it also.